Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:48 PM

8 posts, read 12,048 times

Advertisements

My husband, mother, 5 dogs and I are looking to move down to Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Whiskey Creek etc. We currently live in WI. We are trying to find some nice areas to live in. I have read several posts/threads but I can never seem to find the answers I am looking for. The only thing I have read over and over again is to stay away from Lehigh Acres.

So, if anyone could please let me know of some nice areas to look it would be greatly appreciated. We are hoping to find a house/duplex that will allow all of our dogs. If we have to we will look into apartment living, but we want to try to stay away from that. If anyone knows anyone looking to rent out their house/duplex that would be great info to have as well. My mother plans on moving down in Aug/Sept with my husband and myself to follow by Oct.

My mother is heading down there Friday, April 11th to take a look around and see what she can find.

Thank you,
Trizzle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:05 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
You will have a very, very hard time finding a place that will allow 5 dogs and if any of them are bully breeds or bully mixes, it will be darn near impossible.

Scroll thru Craig's List..that's where most rentals are advertised.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 PM

We have 2 chihuahuas under 6 lbs ages 2 and 3. A rat terrier mix and a min pin that are both under 20 lbs ages 6 and 11 and a 70lb husky that is 13.

We have been searching Craigs List and looking at other websites. We would just like to know some good areas to look around in.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizzle View Post
We have 2 chihuahuas under 6 lbs ages 2 and 3. A rat terrier mix and a min pin that are both under 20 lbs ages 6 and 11 and a 70lb husky that is 13.

We have been searching Craigs List and looking at other websites. We would just like to know some good areas to look around in.

I understand that you want to find a nice area, but as I said 5 dogs is going to limit you quite a bit. There won't be any HOA, PM, or apt complex that will take 5 dogs. You need to find a private landlord (on CL, that's where they usually advertise) and go from there.

Its been a long time since I've lived in Cape Coral, but they might have a limit of dogs they allow and trust me, you neighbors will turn you in. Cape Coral is one giant HOA.

The City of Fort Myers might also have a limit. I do know that the apt complexes in the city and the HOAs, PMs and landlords in the city limit do limit the amount of pets.

Outside the Fort Myers City limits might be a better choice...maybe look for a place that zoned AG.

Have you contacted any complexes, pms or real estate agents? Good luck in your search.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 21,818 times
let me add on to Trizzles post,, we will prob, be looking at duplexes,, I will move down there with a 65 lb husky which is NOT on any breed restriction lists, and a 5 pound chihuahua who has taken and passed the good citizen canine test and it also a therapy dog who works in libraries, schools, nursing homes and hospitals,, we will not be living together very long, Ideally it would be nice to rent both sides of a duplex, i do not want to buy since i am 6 years away from 65. I heard there are lots of "perks" for senior citizens, but if I find a good deal i might,, every time i look at craigslist 90% of the ads say rent to own, buy with little money down,, I am very very leary of that,, I will be done there from the 11th to the 26th checking out the area and the clearwater area,

Old 04-07-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globae View Post
let me add on to Trizzles post,, we will prob, be looking at duplexes,, I will move down there with a 65 lb husky which is NOT on any breed restriction lists, and a 5 pound chihuahua who has taken and passed the good citizen canine test and it also a therapy dog who works in libraries, schools, nursing homes and hospitals,, we will not be living together very long, Ideally it would be nice to rent both sides of a duplex, i do not want to buy since i am 6 years away from 65. I heard there are lots of "perks" for senior citizens, but if I find a good deal i might,, every time i look at craigslist 90% of the ads say rent to own, buy with little money down,, I am very very leary of that,, I will be done there from the 11th to the 26th checking out the area and the clearwater area,

Yeah, about those lists.....you'll find several variations of those lists going around. The thing you need to concern yourself with, is will your landlord, (and his ins company) accept your husky or not. The "list" has nothing to do with it.

Oh, and weight will also be a factor. Most only allow up to 50 lbs. Finding a rental that takes large dogs is hard. Very hard. Finding a rental that takes 5 dogs is darn near impossible.

Do you have an area that you're leaning towards? I know you mentioned duplexes, but most of those are in shady areas of Cape Coral, Fort Myers, East Fort Myers and North Fort Myers.

CL is full of ads and scammers, but that's where legitimate landlords/property manager advertise. They don't use the newspaper anymore..it's all online. You can google property managers in Lee County and check out their listings on their website

Good luck in your search and keep us posted! If you want any info on any area, just ask.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 AM

8 posts, read 21,818 times
Hi kim. i have been going to florida three times a year the last 4/5 years, I see LOTS of huskies in apartment buildings,, i also go to the dog park right by Lovers Key and talk to people there with big dogs. So I do know Huskies are allowed, I talked to his vet and the vet said he will do just fine in warmer weather,, question, do you have dogs? and when I do rent it is going to be from a private landlord, those rental agencies are always coming in to "check" up on you, I am an adult, I do not need to be babysat. I have owned homes and rented homes, I know i am neat and clean, my places were always well kept and that was with dogs and cats and birds and fish lol

Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 AM

374 posts, read 795,803 times
First condo associations (that allow rentals) only care about the size of the dog. Most HOA's only allow 1-2 dogs, and most are only accepted under 50 lbs (most require under 30) It doesn't matter if the owner of the condo/townhome allows larger dogs, during the application process the proposed tenant will be declined. Owners are at the mercy of the HOA rules and regulation. So sounds like "associations" are out. Whiskey Creek is a VERY nice area. I love it there, but it is governed by an "association" Not sure of the HOA rules, but an HOA is there.

Apartments... I am not sure about the rules and regulation for dogs. I am assuming that they are all different. 5 dogs are a lot to expect an apartment manager to accept (just my opinion)

Single family homes will be your best bet. They are privately owned and an HOA isn't making the rules. Just of the top of my head you should look at neighborhood's in the South Ft. Myers area. Iona draws to mind as does Cypress Lakes. I would avoid anywhere near downtown

As mentioned, look at craigslist and maybe the website for rent by owner . Because a lot of people are condensed into a small space in the Ft. Myers area, many rules have been set up in a majority of the neighborhood associations to keep the amount of dogs in one unit to a minimum. For example, my association allows 1 dog under 25 lbs. That is it.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globae View Post
Hi kim. i have been going to florida three times a year the last 4/5 years, I see LOTS of huskies in apartment buildings,, i also go to the dog park right by Lovers Key and talk to people there with big dogs. So I do know Huskies are allowed, I talked to his vet and the vet said he will do just fine in warmer weather,, question, do you have dogs? and when I do rent it is going to be from a private landlord, those rental agencies are always coming in to "check" up on you, I am an adult, I do not need to be babysat. I have owned homes and rented homes, I know i am neat and clean, my places were always well kept and that was with dogs and cats and birds and fish lol
So you spent your vacations trolling thru apt complexes to see what kind of dogs they accept?

Of course dogs of all sizes are allowed at the dog park and some local beaches, but that's not what we're talking but here. We're talking about you renting a home with 5 dogs...one large dog and 4 small ones.

You make it sound like I said huskies aren't allowed in Florida..I never said that. I said they may not be accepted by all landlords. Good luck finding that landlord...I suggest looking in East Fort Myers or North Fort Myers..those landlords tend not to care who they rent to....you will find them on CL.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:55 PM

So, after looking around on websites and craig's list as well as going back down to FL for a week to check out a few things..... We have found places that will take ALL of our dogs but they were available NOW and we aren't able to move down for a few more months =(

What are some areas of Cape Coral to stay away from?
What are some NICE, CLEAN, SAFE apartments? (in case we have to go that route)...I have searched on line for apartments and then when I read the reviews they make me cringe =(
What are some good realtors/management groups to go through when looking?

It is really hard to know an area, and to know what is good and bad when you dont live anywhere near it...So, I am hoping that people here can help us!
=)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area