Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:05 PM

79 posts, read 114,429 times

Advertisements

Just last Friday, at around 11:30 pm, I was northbound on Broadway heading to the nightlife in Downtown Fort Myers when I was assaulted by a couple of muggers that were hiding in the drainage ravine. It occured just south of Unity Avenue. One of them told me to give him my money, another one punched me in the face. Luckily, I was able to outrun them on my bike, and then I took out my cell phone and called the police, which were very helpful with me and seemed determined to catch the suspects. Unfortunately, I wasn't carrying any pepper spray, and therefore to my knowledge, both suspects are still at large.

Well, I have done what I never thought I would need to do before; I got myself some pepper spray. Pepper spray can easily be purchased at Wal Mart and costs about $10, and it comes in pocket sized canisters. Pepper spray causes a severe burning sensation in the eyes, coughing and even difficulty breathing, stinging skin, and occasionally even first and second degree burns and occasional blistering. Blackhawk pepper spray can emit a concentrated stream capable of penetrating through ski masks and bandannas.

So, if any of you plan on heading to Downtown Fort Myers for the nightlife, taking a midnight bicycle ride, skateboard ride, or go roller skating, through Fort Myers, get yourself some pepper spray. And in fact, I highly recommend, at the least, Blackhawk Maximum Strength pepper spray, especially if your nighttime route is up/down; Broadway Avenue, Cleveland Avenue, Fowler Street, Edison Avenue, Michigan Avenue, or Palm Beach Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:46 PM

390 posts, read 635,043 times
A Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag might be a little more helpful.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSnow4me View Post
A Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag might be a little more helpful.
Assuming of course one is a really good shot and gets both of them, or be overpowered and lose it in a two-on-one scenario like the OP encountered.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
Sorry for your troubles. I hope you never need use that spray. 2 on 1 - they were out meant to do harm and hope they are caught and experience their own 2 on 1 when they are convicted.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Assuming of course one is a really good shot and gets both of them, or be overpowered and lose it in a two-on-one scenario like the OP encountered.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both pistols and pepper spray as self defense weapons. Aside from the fact that one can be overpowered with pepper spray as well, spray is useless in a high wind or in an enclosed area.

Best defense is not to go where the bad guys are.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:47 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
Streets you mentioned are not a good place to be even if you're packing.
Makes sense to carry a hand gun...a cop is too heavy !

Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 AM

93 posts, read 175,874 times
I think I'd rather just avoid going to those areas...

Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
A midnight bike ride in those areas may require a bullet proof vest too.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:33 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
A midnight bike ride in most cities is a bad idea.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:28 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
A midnight bike ride in those areas may require a bit of education collection on the part of the rider.......

It's fortunate the rider in this case got away with a punch in the face, and perhaps the loss of some cash for his schooling.

I wont go thru those areas in my 7800 lb truck at midnight.

CN.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area