Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 03:18 PM

116 posts, read 175,036 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I have been considering various employment opportunities all over Florida!...We are from NY and want to live within 2 and 1/2 hours of our married daughter. Fort Meyers fits that test... we have been in Naples and all up and down the east coast. We want to find the right jobs in the right community for us. Currently we are considering some Fort Meyers opportunities..... While we weigh out the pros and cons of the employment it is now time to focus on the area....
I have read the various threads on this forum...
I realize from reading the posts those who have lived in FM their entire lives are concerned about how things are going…. Yet there is a chance I can end up living there so any positive help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
What would you consider the high points of life in this area?
We are in our 50's and have all grown children, we are active and want a good quality of life. We are aware of the summer climate and that is not an issue for us, we visit our daughter frequently and have decided it is best to move. We are interested in basic things, good food but not always crazy expensive (remember we are from NY so everything is relative) some interesting things to do/shopping/hiking and or beach activities...
I have read the concerns about crime.... are there some better areas?
Generally speaking how are the property taxes? We are looking at spending $400,000 or so on a home. Are there Fema flood zone issues? We have casually looked at the GL Homes communities…any thoughts on them?
Well I am sure you get the point of this inquiry, when we have looked at other areas these forums have been helpful. I hope the folks of Fort Meyers can help us out. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 05:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
My wife and I from Long Island and we moved to Cape Coral 3 years ago. We are happy here with a home on the water. We are frequent visitors to Manhattan to see our daughter. The flights on JetBlue are convenient and not too expensive. It is a 30 minute drive to the airport. We park our car in long term parking for our short visits. There are plenty of restaurants between CC and Fort Myers. We love downtown Fort Myers and are only about 10 minutes away. We both have our own home businesses. There is a ghetto area in Fort Myers with high crime. Check the crime maps, like Neighborhood Scout, to see where those areas are and avoid them. CC doesn't have that kind of high crime. There is no ghetto although there are a few less desirable neighborhoods, mostly where there are a lot of apartments. Of course check the flood zone before buying a home. We are not in the flood plain and don't need flood insurance. $400,000 will get you a nice home here with property taxes maybe 1/3 of what they would be in NY.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 PM

52 posts, read 59,409 times
Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Bonita Springs, and Estero are great choices as this area is still very affordable. I am born and raised here as my family comes from Michigan moved down in 1985. You will get a lot of home for 400K even as home prices are increasing. Especially in Cape Coral. Crime is normal like any where, growing up in Cape Coral my family never locked our front door and still don't till this day. We have nationally ranked beaches and the job markets in Naples and Cape Coral are projected to really grow in the near future. I always considered moving away and exploring something new but just love Southwest Florida. Hope you will too! Good Luck on your search

Old 07-02-2015, 04:08 AM

thanks...
We currently live on a bay, long Island south shore and lived through the recent hurricaines... we don't want to move to a home in that kind of zone again.I will take another look at cape coral, I was under the impression it was all in a high issue FEMA zone.
Thanks again

Old 07-02-2015, 04:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasadora View Post
thanks...
We currently live on a bay, long Island south shore and lived through the recent hurricaines... we don't want to move to a home in that kind of zone again.I will take another look at cape coral, I was under the impression it was all in a high issue FEMA zone.
Thanks again
If you don't want to live in 'that zone' again, don't move to S Florida.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:58 AM

Thanks Kim,
When I mentioned “that zone” I was referencing specifically FEMA flood zone designations.

http://stdblearningcenter.com/upload...efinitions.pdf

Lee County has a number of b and x areas…. Those are the zones I would prefer. I currently live on a Bay that’s a V zone and that was what I meant by “that zone”. I am deeply familiar with hurricanes and their power, I have lived through many. I also know for south Florida wind issues are important to consider as well, Thant was why I am weighing my options with a new build home….new codes, better structural safety and protections can be built in rather than the expense of trying to retrofit an older home.
Do any of you have whole house generators? We have a smaller one that can power our furnace ( in Florida I guess that would be air conditioning ) and the refrigerator enough to get through…but have been reading about preinstalled whole house units…..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:19 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasadora View Post
Thanks Kim,
When I mentioned “that zone” I was referencing specifically FEMA flood zone designations.

http://stdblearningcenter.com/upload...efinitions.pdf

Lee County has a number of b and x areas…. Those are the zones I would prefer. I currently live on a Bay that’s a V zone and that was what I meant by “that zone”. I am deeply familiar with hurricanes and their power, I have lived through many. I also know for south Florida wind issues are important to consider as well, Thant was why I am weighing my options with a new build home….new codes, better structural safety and protections can be built in rather than the expense of trying to retrofit an older home.
Do any of you have whole house generators? We have a smaller one that can power our furnace ( in Florida I guess that would be air conditioning ) and the refrigerator enough to get through…but have been reading about preinstalled whole house units…..
We lived on a wide water view on the south shore of Long Island. We sold our home two days before Sandy hit.(the water came within 1 inch of flooding our old house)
Here is a rough idea of the flood zones in Lee County:
Map of Lee County Flood Zones
Here is a water map provided by Dan Starowicz RE:
Map of Cape Coral Florida

You can find a home on beautiful wide water that is not in the flood zone but there are not many.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:48 PM

708 posts, read 721,441 times
Thank you Yasadora and Rikoshapri for the information. Very interesting and useful!

Old 07-03-2015, 12:29 AM

I was looking at the provided maps... Thanks again... Here where I currently live, the folks who live on or a street away From canals had it the worst. Sandy was a water event, of course some wind ... But it was the tides and storm surge that destroyed so much.
The water had no where to go, at least on the direct bay it could receded. Sandy was a crazy storm.... And it wasn't my first... Lol but I am done with direct waterfront! There was no electricity in the area, depending on your block for 2 and a half weeks to a month... And it was cold Oct./Nov.
As I mentioned before we were lucky and had a generator....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area