Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 02:01 PM

22 posts, read 25,139 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I've been following this site for a few years now, as our family planned to move but the plans fell through. Finally we have another chance! I won't get into my terrible luck for the past 3 years but basically we live in NJ and we're currently losing our house. Keeping with our run of luck, our foreclosure is taking less than one year and I expect to get "kicked out" by this fall/winter. We're trying to move the family down sometime in December. I've been doing tons of research on the school system and I've also made some phone calls. We're planning on moving near Estero, as my husband has family there. So for the sake of argument, let's say we get a place in the South Zone. Considering we're moving in the middle of the year, how screwed am I going to get with placing my son? He'd be put in 1st grade. Truthfully, I'm freaking out a bit. I'd stay here in NJ until summer but that means either living with my parents (not possible -they smoke and it's just a toxic emotional environment), or with my in-laws (possible, but I may get a divorce after that LOL). Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:25 AM

So I guess what I'm asking is - what's my worst case scenario here? I see a lot of threads and explanation of the school choice stuff, but I couldn't find any real-life experiences of a parent going through it, how hard/easy it was, if they got their "1st choice", and their overall experience. Feel free to PM me. Thank you!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,895,618 times
It's different for every family. If you have question, check out the school board website or contact the School Choice office.

You're coming in the middle of the school year and from what I understand, getting your 'first' choice might be difficult.

Off topic: Don't move down unless you have a job secured or money in the bank.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 AM

45 posts, read 81,220 times
It depends on the school. We enrolled our daughter 2 months ago and the school of our choice (which happened to be in our zone which is why we really bought there) already had a waiting list. Where you live will also dictate where he may end up. Do your research because if you do not get your first choice, they will most likely send your son to the school that is in your zone depending on your residential address.

Despite the waiting list thing that we were not prepared for, everything else was smooth. Now that we understand the school choice and how it works we like it and prefer it to where we came from in Orange County (Orlando).

Best of luck in your search.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies! I understand the whole zone thing - I downloaded the map with all the schools and I have a pretty good idea how it all works. I'm just hoping that eventually I'll get him into a good one. I wanted to be more prepared for this and wasn't expecting the jump in our move.

I know we need to secure jobs first. My husband has family in Estero and a friend in Ft. Myers, so we've gotten some advice. He's going down a month before to secure a job and a place to rent. (We'll both be sending out resumes ASAP though, even though it's a bit early). I have a math degree but have been a paralegal for the last 10 years.

I really can't wait. I'm looking forward to getting out of the "rat race" up here. NJ never really felt like home to me and I absolutely hate the cold. One of my dreams has always been to move to FL, but when you throw kids in the mix, there's a thousand other things to think about when relocating!

I feel like we meet someone new at least once a month who at least has a place down there, near there, or are planning to move there. We've been to Bonita Springs and Estero and my husband has been around Ft. Myers. The whole area is beautiful.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:41 AM

47 posts, read 52,451 times
Kim above gave you some extremely good off topic advice for moving here, have a job or some cash saved up.

Just a thought, but you might try a Charter school. Seems I always hear nothing but good things about them.
Here's one in Bonita: Bonita Springs Charter School - A tuition-free public charter school

Good luck...

Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 AM

45 posts, read 81,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmGuy View Post
Kim above gave you some extremely good off topic advice for moving here, have a job or some cash saved up.

Just a thought, but you might try a Charter school. Seems I always hear nothing but good things about them.
Here's one in Bonita: Bonita Springs Charter School - A tuition-free public charter school

Good luck...
Definitely great advice regarding having savings and work. I did look into paralegal vacancies before we moved here and there was quite a bit around. Depending on what your husband does you may end up finding work before him .

Be prepared for sticker shock if you're looking for a rental. Application fees, HOA app fees, 1st & last & security etc. You could, potentially, end up writing a check for $5,000 just to rent. I know 2 of the realtors we contacted said that in most cases the last month's rent is waived based on CR.

It really is a great place. We are still getting settled but we love it here and don't regret the move.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:20 AM

43 posts, read 45,362 times
I answered a post from yasadora about rentals. Please be careful not only of location but also who you rent FROM!!!! Please check them out. DO NOT rent from anyone that has an office on Country Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area