U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 AM
wjj

664 posts, read 738,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easytim View Post

Cons Florida:

Awful pay!
If you got a job that needs a skilled worker to do the job right is almost impossible to find I have not had too many problems, but most of my contractors are transplants from up north.
Cheap labor force means, you get what you pay for. Not always. See comment above.
Identity theft is the highest in the Nation
Politicians are most corrupt in the Country Compared to where I come from (Chicago area), politicians in FL are saints by comparison.
Republicans rule here, their going **** the little guy I view this as a big positive compared to the utterly corrupt and destructive Dem rule the last 2 decades in Illinois. One major reason I bought in SWFL.
Right to work state A big positive in my view.
They have a fascination with their guns here, they think their in the wild west Again, a positive in my view vs letting criminals have all the guns and citizens left helpless.
High insurance, they say because of fraud, so be careful
Expensive electric (bad in the summer) Cheaper than the Chicago area
Expensive groceries, but no sales tax Cheaper than the Chicago area
Awful produce,fruit and vegetables there is no taste because their grown in poor mostly sandy soil
Hurricanes
Many bugs
Humidity all the time, nothing like St. Louis - it's not the worst they just think it is.
Poorly, quickly built homes (many issues with mold, roofs, Chinese drywall etc..) Not sure it is any worse than anywhere else for new construction these days
Strip mall sqwall
Drivers are God awful and scary, they drive off into the canals and flip their cars over, their crazy asses Absolutely agree. I drive all over the country and nowhere has as bad drivers as FL.
Red Tide-we are ruining the beaches
Awful schools, they stopped the testing to see how the teachers are doing, getting dumb and dumber
Many pedefiles, they just won't leave the kids alone, many perverts
Some have lazy outlooks/attitudes towards work, etc.. You get what you pay for, it must be the heat
They call that attitude living on Island Time and I happen to love this part.
A lot of your cons, are pros for me! Even more reason to move to SWFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 AM

205 posts, read 341,548 times
Study ranks Florida No. 1 in government corruption | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

Also go back and see the chart (.jpg) that is listed at bottom on my first post.

TY, Have a good day

Old 08-20-2015, 09:52 PM

6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Christmas and Thanksgiving in shorts sucks. I like my Christmases with coats and Thanksgiving with non-green leaves. I don't understand the appeal of shorts in late fall and winter holidays to you northerners. When I hear Christmas music it is all about snow and fireplaces and Santa Claus. Shorts? That's just distracting! "Christmas in shorts" is a "plus" I only hear from northern transplants. Never heard a native Floridian brag about that. Actually, back in Florida, we would love any chance to wear sweaters especially around the holidays lol

"Well we can't go on a sleigh ride or ice skating this Christmas, nor can we build a snowman with the family and have some hot cocoa as we watch it snow, but hey, at least we can wear shorts! Festive!"

Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 871 times
I will be relocating in may to the ft.myers area. Hubby will have to find a job.any advice? We are in ky.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,962,479 times
Badgerfilms, try building a 'sand/snowman' on beach instead. But I totally get your drift. I love the mountains, and miss them. But Florida does have her plusses.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 3,339,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Badgerfilms, try building a 'sand/snowman' on beach instead. But I totally get your drift. I love the mountains, and miss them. But Florida does have her plusses.
That might be cute from the perspective of a snowbird lol but from a Florida native's POV, it's just tacky and a bad replacement for the real thing. I loved building sand castles as a kid, but I missed out on all the winter fun growing up. My boyfriend thinks it is adorable how I get excited whenever it snows here lol

I do think Florida has many plusses. I love the beaches and water parks, and the nature. But I find the lack of cold a negative. The heat is so draining, and it is hot up here too, but it will leave in several weeks unlike back home. I find it funny how us southerners have a disdain to the heat like northerners have one for the cold ^^

Old 08-25-2015, 06:10 AM

43 posts, read 32,247 times
To each their own. It's a good thing there are so many states with different climates in which to choose to live.

If you can't live where you want that's what vacations are for. If you live in the south fly up north during the winter and build your snowman and drink hot chocolate. If you live up north fly south for the winter. You can go wherever you want big city small town, mountains, desert.

Quit complaining and be thankful to live in a country where you have the freedom to move about at will. There are still a lot of countries that don't allow this without a big hassle and government approval.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:42 AM

Politicians are most corrupt in the Country - Number #1

No wonder the government here in Florida is the most corrupt in the country, most people came here to enjoy the good life
And they are not here are interested in government, they didn't come to Florida to keep an eye on the politicians
64% of the people living here are imported and are looking to enjoy fun in the Sun, only 36% were born here.

Florida is the top state for overseas real estate buyers and they account for 21 percent of all U.S. sales of
foreign buyers. California ranked second, with 16 percent, followed by Texas with 8 percent and Arizona with 5 percent
The top four states accounted for half of all overseas buying

Do you really think foreigners coming to Florida are going to keep an eye on what the politicians are doing?
Not enough people care about what's going on in Florida or let alone even understand it, this way
it allows for corruption to flourish, so the politicians just do what they want in Florida.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:52 AM

Corruption is allowed to flourish

Recently the development industry, “Big Sugar”, their friends and their money have gained control of the Florida legislature and the Lee County Board. Since taking over these institutions they have:

• The legislature repealed Florida’s long standing role in land use planning and growth management,
  • Then the County Board worked with their development allies to unilaterally rollback essential provisions of two important community plans in order to expand development into areas that had long been designated as rural or low density communities,
  • The legislature ignored an overwhelming 75% vote of Florida’s voters in support of a constitutional amendment that would set aside certain funds for land and water conservation and allocated most of it for other purposes and a sizeable share to pay existing expenses,
  • The County Board arbitrarily reallocated property taxes produced by a tax which for 20 years had been allocated to the Conservation 2020 program, the County’s land conservation program, and then adopted a shrunken, ineffective program with the same name to make it look like they had not killed this popular program,
  • The legislature has allowed the State’s transportation funding program to shrink so much that it is not anywhere near capable of keeping up with our surging population growth,
  • The County Board has shifted the burden of paying its share of infrastructure growth, roads, parks and schools, from the new arrivals that are creating the needs to existing taxpayers who already have paid their “impact fees” when they came to the state,
  • The County Board is currently working with their developer friends to authorize thousands of additional homes in the Density Reduction/Groundwater Resource (DR/GR) area in Southeast Lee County which has this designation in order to limit our future population to about 1.4 million residents, up from about 650,000 today, and the clean water supply that all those new residents will need if our quality of life is not to decline precipitously.
  • Lee County has abandoned ownership of its sustainability plan and the years of committee work and staff research that went into it by outsourcing it to the Southwest Florida Community Foundation.

Last edited by easytim; 08-27-2015 at 04:41 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 03:51 PM

Study ranks Florida No. 1 in government corruption

Study ranks Florida No. 1 in government corruption | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area