U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:29 AM

205 posts, read 341,622 times

Advertisements

Pros Florida:

Nice weather from October-May
Lots to do (beaches, Disney, Universal, Sea World, boating, scuba, snorkeling, etc..)
Many restaurants to choose from (and yes some very good ones)
Many events going on year round
Many cruise ports close by
Good airports-clean!
Some of the best fishing and boating in the World
Beautiful blue skys with plenty of beautiful white clouds almost everyday
Great sunsets
Beautiful beaches
Many birds
Wildlife
Great/many golf courses
Flat for biking
No state tax
Homestead exemptition
Great seafood, most likely some of the very best
Cleaner than up north, no dirty salt and pot holes
If your a gardener this is paradise
Hour more of sunlight
You just added 3 to 4 months of living to your life, no need to sit inside waiting for it to warm up.
So it's hot (DUH), well that's what the pool is for, go figure
Not having to buy or wear winter clothes, no wearing socks either
Working in the garden all winter
Swimming Year Round, hand me the suntan lotion
Not having to winterize everthing
Not having to shovel snow
Not having to warm up the car or scrape ice
Being able to have dinner in the lanai by the pool almost year round
Grilling out Year Round
Spending Thanksgiving and Christmas in SHORTS.....

Cons Florida:

Awful pay!
If you got a job that needs a skilled worker to do the job right is almost impossible to find
Cheap labor force means, you get what you pay for.
Identity theft is the highest in the Nation
Politicians are most corrupt in the Country
Republicans rule here, their the little guy
Right to work state
They have a fascination with their guns here, they think their in the wild west
High insurance, they say because of fraud, so be careful
Expensive electric (bad in the summer)
Expensive groceries, but no sales tax
Awful produce,fruit and vegetables there is no taste because their grown in poor mostly sandy soil
Hurricanes
Many bugs
Humidity all the time, nothing like St. Louis - it's not the worst they just think it is.
Poorly, quickly built homes (many issues with mold, roofs, Chinese drywall etc..)
Strip mall sqwall
Drivers are God awful and scary, they drive off into the canals and flip their cars over, their crazy asses
Red Tide-we are ruining the beaches
Awful schools, they stopped the testing to see how the teachers are doing, getting dumb and dumber
Many pedefiles, they just won't leave the kids alone, many perverts
Some have lazy outlooks/attitudes towards work, etc.. You get what you pay for, it must be the heat
They call that attitude living on Island Time and I happen to love this part.

No wonder the government in Florida is the most corrupt in the country, most people came here to enjoy life.
The people living here are not interested in government, they didn't come to Florida to keep an eye on the politicians.
64% of the people living here are imported and are looking for fun in the Sun, only 36% were born here.

Overall, Florida was the top state for overseas real estate buyers, accounting for 21 percent of all U.S. sales to
foreign buyers. California ranked second, with 16 percent, followed by Texas with 8 percent and Arizona with 5 percent.
The top four states accounted for half of all overseas buying. Do you really think the foreigners that bought here
in Florida are keeping an eye on our politicians? Not enough people care about what's going on here or even understand it
so the politicians do what they want. Do your own research this is not bull **** either.
SEE ATTACHED PICTURE BELOW
Attached Thumbnails
Florida is a wonderful place to live and I love Florida-florida-most-convicted.jpg  

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-12-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM

708 posts, read 497,170 times
Great post! We have purchased a home for winter months and will be retired so many of the con's I don't work about.
The Pro's is a great list. I understand it is hard if you need to find a job there but I already have that we just want great weather 5 months out of the year with ton's of things to keep us busy.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,053,515 times
I enjoyed the post too and agree with many of the pros and cons! However, we're still moving to southwest Florida when hubs retires in a few years. I made a list of the pros and cons of living there and the pros outweighed the cons...so....coming your way in a few!!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:48 AM

We all know it's not a perfect World, but it's perfect for us. We love it here!

Old 08-17-2015, 04:56 AM

17,631 posts, read 11,084,828 times
I've lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, California, and now Florida............no place is perfect. But overall, I like Florida the best and will never leave here. Yes, it is hot and humid in the Summer, but we get our rewards the remainder of the year when others are freezing.

I don't find the crime here any worse than any place else, and the cost of living isn't bad either (Try California one time !! )

But it is like anything else, it is what you make of it and what you are looking for.

Don

Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, California, and now Florida............no place is perfect. But overall, I like Florida the best and will never leave here. Yes, it is hot and humid in the Summer, but we get our rewards the remainder of the year when others are freezing.

I don't find the crime here any worse than any place else, and the cost of living isn't bad either (Try California one time !! )

But it is like anything else, it is what you make of it and what you are looking for.

Don
Most people here don't know just how good they got it when it comes to the crime here, they don't have anything to compare it to, it's no fault of their own.

I'm so glad we left St. Louis, I don't think I need to say anymore.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:57 PM

7 posts, read 36,150 times
Thumbs up The good and the bad

Loved your post. You said it all.
WE live here now all year around and love Florida.
I keep the negatives under the hat.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 AM

1,557 posts, read 2,280,580 times
I see some of your negatives as positives.....I happen to like lots of republicans,right to work state keeps unions from driving up prices,and guns aren't a bad thing unless bad guys have them.Many of my neighbors are gun owners and there's no crime anywhere near us.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 AM

1,767 posts, read 3,053,515 times
I'm a fan of the guns as well--it's actually one of the reasons I like Florida. I have lived in Delaware all my life and I get so sick of the criminals being labeled as victims.

Also, I find groceries to be cheaper in southwest Florida compared to where I live in Delaware. My area has a pretty high COL though. Also, Florida has no state income tax. Delaware does. I will like not having my income taxed by the state.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:53 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,089,544 times
I find that my electric bill is much less here that my electric and gas bills were up north since there is almost no heat required. The water bill is higher though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area