U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,316 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are living in Boston and we really want to move to FL. We were raised mostly in Brazil so we need that hot weather lifestyle. I am talking with a possible employer about moving to Fort Myers but I gotta say, the things I read scare us sometimes. People make it seem like it's extremely dangerous and you gotta be super wealthy to be safe (goes without saying that some answers are from 2012).

Can someone give me an updated and realistic idea of the area? And if you work in Fort Myers, is living in Cape Coral the best thing to do?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:25 AM

2,298 posts, read 4,165,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleje View Post
Me and my wife are living in Boston and we really want to move to FL. We were raised mostly in Brazil so we need that hot weather lifestyle. I am talking with a possible employer about moving to Fort Myers but I gotta say, the things I read scare us sometimes. People make it seem like it's extremely dangerous and you gotta be super wealthy to be safe (goes without saying that some answers are from 2012).

Can someone give me an updated and realistic idea of the area? And if you work in Fort Myers, is living in Cape Coral the best thing to do?

Thanks in advance!
boston is a pretty vibrant city. Cape Coral is a suburban sprawl, strip mall, national chain store type of place. It is great for families and people who want the SWFL lifestyle in a safe, affordable place. Ft Myers is totally different from Cape Coral and more similar to what you would be used to in Boston. Just like Boston it has some nice sections and very dangerous sections. you really can't compare living in Beacon Hill with living in Roxbury. So your budget will determine how nice or safe of an area you will get.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,316 times
Thanks a lot for the info. Everything you said does make a lot more sense than what I am reading out there.

I spoke with the employer and apparently the company is located near the airport, so most employees end up living around the North Naples area. It also seems like most people live in gated communities, must be a reflection of the potential violence, right?

I need the hot weather lifestyle and seems like the lower speed of things in the area are nice. Just don't yet if it's what I want. Don't wanna move and se that I can put my family in danger.

Any additional insights are welcome!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:34 PM
wjj

667 posts, read 740,113 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the info. Everything you said does make a lot more sense than what I am reading out there.

I spoke with the employer and apparently the company is located near the airport, so most employees end up living around the North Naples area. It also seems like most people live in gated communities, must be a reflection of the potential violence, right?

I need the hot weather lifestyle and seems like the lower speed of things in the area are nice. Just don't yet if it's what I want. Don't wanna move and se that I can put my family in danger.

If by the airport you mean by RSW (and not the Naples Airport), there are many very nice places to live near there. You do not need to live all the way down in North Naples. The Daniels Corridor just north of RSW has many options and is quite nice and very safe. To the south of RSW there is Estero, also with many very nice options and also very safe.

The City of Fort Myers is actually very small and most of the crime you read about is confined to the bad neighborhoods within that small city. Much of the area that is generically called Fort Myers - including RSW -, is not within Fort Myers. The Daniels Corridor has Fort Myers addresses but is not in Fort Myers. The really dicey parts within the city are mostly north of Colonial. If you stick to the Daniels Corridor (including all the communities along Treeline) and south, you will not have any problems.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 5,727 times
I am originally from NY, have been living in Atlanta for the past 9 years and moving to Ft. Myers area in 2 weeks. After doing my research I chose Estero. As I explore the area and get to know it better I'd be glad to keep you posted.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:52 AM

47 posts, read 38,401 times
There are plenty of great areas in Lee County. Anything in 33908, 33912 zip codes are generally safe. There are others of course but these two zips are solid. Go to the crime blotter will give you a good idea.
Lee County Sheriff's Office | Lee County, Florida | CrimeActivity | Index

Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayz05 View Post
I am originally from NY, have been living in Atlanta for the past 9 years and moving to Ft. Myers area in 2 weeks. After doing my research I chose Estero. As I explore the area and get to know it better I'd be glad to keep you posted.

Hello, I was wondering how you are liking Estero and if you could offer any advice. Were looking to move down there this June.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:20 PM

39,247 posts, read 18,783,051 times
Quote:

I moved from southern Maine to Ft Myers and I live near the airport and Fenway South in a gated community. I am glad to live in Ft Myers.......Cape Coral just doesnt appeal to me and Estero seems a bit out of the way to me... I have never felt unsafe in Ft Myers......my community is very safe (and lovely and friendly); I am surprised at the amount of crime I see on the news.....I think most of it occurs in certain 'bad' (poor) sections.

I think the danger occurs in those areas . I seldom go out in the evening....occassionally to a show or a concert. I dont hang around the bars or after hour clubs.

There is not a pervasive feeling of danger or violence in my world. I felt more at risk in Boston or some other NE cities. I am a transplanted New Englander.

Good Luck.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 14,141 times
Many people live in Cape Coral and work in Ft Myers. Cape Coral has mostly single family homes on at least quarter acre land. It is a great place to raise kids. It has many parks and it not so congested like Ft Myers (traffic does get back, but only during season). If you are considering Ft Myers, I would look into gated communities. Fort Myers has many gated communities. Each of these communities has it own specific features, amenities, fees, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or