U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 PM

24 posts, read 21,859 times

Advertisements

What is happening to Ft Myers?

Drug arrests, robberies, and shootings almost everyday!

When did things start going bad? And why? Who has the true story?

Also, how can Ft Myers be fixed? Or is it too late?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 03:58 AM

8,594 posts, read 18,961,949 times
Fort Myers has been like this for years. You're just now getting exposed to it because of advances in mediao outlets and social media.

There is no 'true' story. It's black on black crime and until the black community decides that enough is enough and stands up and fights back, nothing will change. However, this will never happen. Retaliation is a reality......

Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 AM

47 posts, read 38,408 times
The why is most likely drugs. These crimes continue on for generations.
Tough to fix when that's the way of life you grew up in even there is many options to make good...

Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,970,221 times
Yesterday on the local news we received the distinction of being the 15th most crime ridden city in USA.
But it's localized. But it is in small pockets, downtown; mostly gangbangers and drug dealers. If you get out of downtown, you don;t have much to worry about....that is, if you're not riding a bicycle.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM

295 posts, read 354,840 times
Seems like at some point in the last 2 years the news stations had a shift in producers. When I first came down in 2010 big news was a manatee trapped or saving a dolphin. Now we have to have the news stories that are sensational. The shootings, and other crimes were going on....just not reported by the news media to the degree they are now. And of course if one station does it they all have to compete with each other.
Another interesting thought on this was, when the money left the area and the economy was in the dumps, the undesirables and scammers left the area in search of jobs in other areas. Now that the money is back.....so is the crime.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yesterday on the local news we received the distinction of being the 15th most crime ridden city in USA.
But it's localized. But it is in small pockets, downtown; mostly gangbangers and drug dealers. If you get out of downtown, you don;t have much to worry about....that is, if you're not riding a bicycle.

There's plenty of bad areas of Fort Myers that aren't even close to the downtown area. Harlem Heights, Tice, Pine Manor, Westwood and Westchase area on Metro....

Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 PM

11,369 posts, read 7,710,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
There's plenty of bad areas of Fort Myers that aren't even close to the downtown area. Harlem Heights, Tice, Pine Manor, Westwood and Westchase area on Metro....
Where is the downtown area, I'm not familiar with FM.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,151,809 times
What it seems like is when prices went sky high (as they are again) it pushed out families and working class people who couldn't afford it and many moved away or were foreclosed on.Many houses were left empty and transients squatted in them. Many desperation I'm sure a lot turned to drugs and other illegal activities to make ends meet. The crime went sky high and ft Myers fell apart. Lehigh, forget it.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Where is the downtown area, I'm not familiar with FM.
Google downtown Fort Myers. It's on the river between the Caloosahatchee Bridge and the Edison Bridge.

I suggest you get familiar with Fort Myers since you're looking for homes here.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
What it seems like is when prices went sky high (as they are again) it pushed out families and working class people who couldn't afford it and many moved away or were foreclosed on.Many houses were left empty and transients squatted in them. Many desperation I'm sure a lot turned to drugs and other illegal activities to make ends meet. The crime went sky high and ft Myers fell apart. Lehigh, forget it.

This theory didn't/doesn't apply to Dunbar, Tice, Pine Manor, Harlem Heights or any of the other high crime areas.

These areas have a been a source of conflict for as long as I can remember. I moved here in 1976 and those areas were bad then and have continued to be bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or