U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 05:04 AM

53 posts, read 43,307 times

Advertisements

Been lurking a while and wanted to get some feedback from residence of the NW section of Cape Coral. I currently live in rural NJ and love fishing in SW Fl, me and my wife are in the market for a canal front house in the FT Meyers area where we will most likely retire , with short trip time to the Boca Grande area. I have been to the Cape several times looking around and like the NW section the best. Just wondering how locals feel about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 06:05 AM

295 posts, read 354,143 times
We live off Burnt Store and Embers on a canal. We love it. 25 min idle to Matlacha Pass and a sort run out to open water on Charlotte Harbor. The farther north you go on the NW spreader canal the more time you add to the idle to get out. Of course the home and property costs reflect that as well. Ceitus Parkway area is more expensive than the Kismet Parkway area....longer idle to the open water.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:24 AM

244 posts, read 417,551 times
NW Cape is an upcoming area. Lots of brand new homes are being build. I personally love the NW cape. You are very close to Pine Island and Pine Island sound. However if you purchase in NW Cape Coral please be aware that the City of Cape Coral will put central water and sewer in in very near future. Most homes in NW Cape Coral currently are on well and septic and once the City puts in central water and sewer property owners will be required to connect. The Assessment costs to connect are around $ 20,000 - $ 25,000 per property. The City offers different payment options. You can pay the assessments over the next years with your property taxes, you can pay in advance with a discount or you can set up a payment plan with the city. You will have to pay the plumber to connect the house to the public water/sewer lines as well as to abandon the septic tank. Those costs will run about $ 2,500. - Also please be aware that there are Gulf Access Canals but also Fresh Water Canals in NW Cape Coral. Fresh Water Canals will NOT lead out to the Gulf of Mexico. - Even if you look on the map and it looks like the canal leads out- they won't !! - Only Gulf Access Canals will lead out to the Gulf.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:30 AM

2,298 posts, read 4,162,900 times
I like the NW section a lot I spend most of my time in the immediate area, matlacha, Pine island. I like that from my dock I can be on Sanibel (around the lighthouse) or Boca grande pass in 40 mins. the fishing in the area is great. not far from Cape Harbour, or the shops at surfside. Has groceries, gas, restaurants all within 5 miles. even though assesments are coming eventually not having a water bill for a few years could help save up for it. houses in general are less expensive there

Old 11-13-2015, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the replies I am looking in the area off Embers and Old Burnt Store Rd. I love how close it is to Matlache and PI. Im aware of the water and sewer assessments .

Old 11-13-2015, 11:13 PM

52 posts, read 43,314 times
Great area with growth potential and great prices for homes compared to other areas. Burnt store RD is direct access to 75 making it easy to get to the highway. Best fishing in matlacha and the charlotte harbour. I use the Matlacha park boat ramp. $60 for parking pass to use in numerous Lee county parks and ramps.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Is the area around Embers 2nd and 3rd a bad flood zone ? The 2 houses we looked at were built in 1994 and are on the barefoot canal. Our realtor said flood insurance would be around $2000-$2500.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:43 AM

225 posts, read 415,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH64 View Post
Is the area around Embers 2nd and 3rd a bad flood zone ? The 2 houses we looked at were built in 1994 and are on the barefoot canal. Our realtor said flood insurance would be around $2000-$2500.
http://www.capecoral.net/i_want_to1/...zone/index.php

Old 11-15-2015, 06:21 PM

295 posts, read 354,143 times
We live off Embers between Burnt Store and Old Burnt Store. Our house is on a canal and the flood insurance is a third of what you were quoted. Our house was built in 2004. I know one of the factors is how high your home is above flood level for the area. Maybe the homes you looked at were not elevated high enough above the flood level, don't know but that quote seems high.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:30 PM

195 posts, read 163,257 times
There has been a lot of misinformation about the flood insurance in Florida. Many people think you can not even get home owners insurance. This is not the case. There are many choices for insurance. Flood insurance is based on FEMA maps and the first floor elevation of the home. Homes on the barrier islands will most likely have high insurance bills. If the elevation certificate shows the first floor to be above the base the insurance will be no problem.
The best way to find out about insurance costs would be to contact a local insurance company. You would need to give them a specific address of a property you want to check on.
There are several different flood zone designations. One is an X. This means there is not a requirement to have flood insurance. But the interesting fact is that 80% of flood insurance claims in the country come from homes in the X zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or