U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 6,346 times

Advertisements

Hi all, About 10 years ago my wife and I bought a NW sailboat gulf access lot as a future place to retire to. At the time we searched many Fla.towns and felt the nw cape would be a good choice once the area built out a little bit more. That build out stalled big time but we still like the area quite a bit.

Although we have visited the cape several times I have never fished or boated there so I need some advise.

All I have heard about the fishing pretty much starts at the matlacha bridge area and extends to points up in and around Charlotte harbor. Being as our lot is several miles up the spreader by gator slough I am concerned about having to ride a long way to fish. Up north I fish and boat a lot but hour long rides are not my favorite thing.

So what kind of ride times should I expect from my house to have decent fishing?

Is there ever any decent fishing right up in the spreader canals? If not I might just prefer to trailer to ramps closer to the better spots.

Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:24 AM

295 posts, read 354,143 times
What street is your property on? The reason I ask is I though the area by Gator Slough was a freshwater canal, that has no access to the gulf. Maybe I am confused about the area you are talking about.
As far as fishing, we live on a canal off Embers and Old Burnt Store. Our idle/ride time down the spreader to get out to the Matlacha bridge is about 25 minutes. We have plenty of fish in the canal, I have caught Tarpon, Drum, Sheepshead, Mangrove Snappers, Lady Fish all off the dock at my canal.....of yeah forgot Catfish and a Stingray. If you trailer to the boat ramp at Burnt Store Rd you are still looking at a 10-15 minute idle out to Matlacha. The Public Ramp at Matlacha puts you out right at the bridge and is the closest.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:52 AM

2,298 posts, read 4,162,352 times
I would kayak fish from the boat dock and canals as there are fish there, as far as lift vs trailer, I would trailer the no wake zone would make the several miles a long trip . I use the nw spreader but my dock is south of Embers and a relatively short ride to open water.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:27 AM

385 posts, read 379,825 times
Here's a calculator that will give you a good idea how long it will take to get out of the idle zone from your addess:

How Far to the Gulf?

Old 12-21-2015, 10:24 AM

1,557 posts, read 2,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSnow4me View Post
Here's a calculator that will give you a good idea how long it will take to get out of the idle zone from your addess:

How Far to the Gulf?
Thanks....cool site

Old 12-21-2015, 10:38 AM

We are off gulfstream west of old burnt store rd. That calculator works great but the time was pretty shocking. 5.8 miles just to matlacha with a time of almost 70 min. !!!

I remember a local telling me there are spots he can go faster but I guess he was breaking the speed limit. I would not want to risk hitting a manatee but do most people follow the speed limit or are they commonly exceeded in some areas?

Either way looks like I would need to be able to fish close to home for the waterfront costs to be worth it. The mangroves on the spreader look "fishy" but I never hear much about catching there so thats why I'm asking.

I guess some boaters dont mind a slow 2 hour ride to Charlotte harbor but as a fisherman I cant tolerate that. I would rather tow to ramps closer to open water for the occasional all day trips.

Thanks for the reply's, all good info.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 AM

385 posts, read 379,825 times
I looked into renting a wet slip at one of the local marinas. It's a little pricey, but it sure would be convenient. If you're considering that, just know that Pine Island can take a long time to get to in-season because of traffic. It might actually be quicker to get to the Yacht Club, and the price for CC residents is lower than any other place I've found so far.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:19 PM

i've had wet slips but for me they are seldom the ideal situation. Usually I like to keep my boat safe at my house where I can tinker on it anytime I want.

Is the drive up to the bokeelia ramp from old burnt store road feasible or bad because of the traffic? I usually head out before dawn and avoid weekend crowds.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM

2,298 posts, read 4,162,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie boy View Post
i've had wet slips but for me they are seldom the ideal situation. Usually I like to keep my boat safe at my house where I can tinker on it anytime I want.

Is the drive up to the bokeelia ramp from old burnt store road feasible or bad because of the traffic? I usually head out before dawn and avoid weekend crowds.
I do a combination of launching from Matlacha park, pineland, or burnt store depending where I am off to.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:16 PM

295 posts, read 354,143 times
If you out towing that early and don't tow the roads on the weekend you will miss most of the traffic. Its really only bad from the holidays thru Easter going through matlacha, but that is during regular business hrs. Off hrs you miss most of the traffic. Then in the other times of the year their is very little traffic in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or