Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 AM

14 posts, read 19,461 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided to move from Connecticut to the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area, we love boating, beaching, kayaking ect... We plan on vacationing in April to explore the area, any suggestions for a real estate agents who will have our back as to less crime areas in lieu of just selling someone a house. we like the idea of river and gulf options as we now have in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 PM

52 posts, read 59,033 times
You should love it down here! Realtors aren't allowed to deter you based on crime areas as that would lead to steering. Lee County has crime information available on their website that you can use to find more information on a particular area. Good luck and enjoy your time down here.

Lee County Sheriff's Office | Lee County, Florida | CrimeActivity | Index

Old 01-29-2016, 05:52 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,860,867 times
If you want a boat I'd suggest SW Cape Coral........no crime to speak of and easy access to open water.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,502 times
As far as square footage goes, how big a garage can I build in NW Cape Coral? I have over van acre of property.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 AM

179 posts, read 344,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpittman9 View Post
You should love it down here! Realtors aren't allowed to deter you based on crime areas as that would lead to steering. Lee County has crime information available on their website that you can use to find more information on a particular area. Good luck and enjoy your time down here.

Lee County Sheriff's Office | Lee County, Florida | CrimeActivity | Index

I respectfully disagree with the opinion that Realtors are not allowed to deter you based on crime areas. It is true that they can't deter you in regard to "protected classes" under the Fair Housing Act. Those classes include Race, Color, Religion, Sex, National Origin, Disability, and Familial Status ("Familial Status" refers to whether you're married/single/kids/no kids, etc.). The Fair Housing Act does NOT include Criminals/Crime. Criminals are not a protected class, so Realtors are certainly allowed to help people with housing choices with regard to crime (or lack of crime). I realize that some overly cautious real estate schools and brokerages teach their agents not to discuss crime, but this seems to be a bit too much CYA. However, the actual law is on their side, and they can discuss crime, as that is NOT a protected class. Heck, even Realtor.com, which is the website of the National Association of Realtors, just came out with an article discussing crime rates of cities and towns. You can be sure that the NAR has a bunch of lawyers on staff, and if their lawyers thought they shouldn't be discussing crime rates, they certainly wouldn't be, as those lawyers know the real estate laws. But, here they are doing just that ... discussing crime rates ... in a recent article. These 'Safest Cities' Have Bragging Rights | Realtor Magazine

It's time for real estate brokerages to stop telling their agents that they can't discuss crime rates. That is purely a myth. It is a very common myth that is spread by probably half of the brokerages and agents out there. I am not singling out you jnpittman9, as I realize this notion of "Realtors can't discuss crime" has been taught to at least half the agents out there, and this policy has been ingrained into many Realtors for many years, often at the behest of the brokerage they work under.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:33 PM

180 posts, read 274,937 times
Sent you a pm with name of our realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area