U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:29 PM

974 posts, read 1,820,512 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. This is another one of those: "where do I go / visit when here?" type of threads.

Long-story short, we're in pre-retirement mode with about 10 or 12 more years to go. So in the meantime we've been taking vacations in areas that we're considering as possible places to call home. We've been to Tampa / St. Pete / Clearwater a couple years back and are looking further south to Ft. Myers / Port Charlotte / Cape Coral / etc. We're thinking about 8 days visit come spring time (avoiding Spring break) to explore the area and get a feel for the areas. With this in mind, any suggestions / recommendations on areas we should focus on and/or avoid? Also, suggestions on any specific attractions, activities while we're visiting would be welcome.

Just looking for something that appeals to active, middle-class types. I always liked the idea of settling in a townhouse or condo with decent views and had vacation rental potential as we plan to travel out-of-country 6 months a year and would like to rent home when we're away.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,726,357 times
Check out the condos and homes on Manasota Key (Englewood). Punta Gorda has a nice small-town feel. Fort Myers beach has homes, condos, but traffic is a royal PITA.

To see what is for sale, My Florida Homes has a good MLS feed.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:00 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,832,747 times
If you go to Ft. Myers bring a gun, crime is really BAD!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Check out the condos and homes on Manasota Key (Englewood). Punta Gorda has a nice small-town feel. Fort Myers beach has homes, condos, but traffic is a royal PITA.

To see what is for sale, My Florida Homes has a good MLS feed.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. Will do!

Old 02-06-2016, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 1,768 times
We're considering a mover in about 3-5 years and have been considering many areas from Venice to Ft. Myers. We found many areas of Ft. Myers just to old and congested feeling. There are some nice areas just north of the airport called Gateways-my brother lives there and loves the convenience. Mixed housing developments from apartments to condos to single family housing in a wide range of prices. We're looking at the NE area of Cape Coral-still a relative bargain in price, and the housing stock is a bit newer than the SE and SW parts of CC. Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte also seemed a bit older in area for us. North Port has some great gated communities and homes-Many "middle classers" live there-the age of the population is also much younger in general- lots of families and plenty of shopping. Venice and Englewood get you closer to the beach-but again the population is a little older and nicer areas a bit pricier. A lot depends on what you want-do you want to be close to the beaches or do you not mind a half hour drive? Do you own a boat and want acesss to the Gulf out your back door? What's your price range and style of living? We're in our late 50's-looking for a newer 3/2 single family home with a pool and under $200-and finding many in that range. Do be aware that some homes that were built or remodeled in the early 2000's had Chinese drywall installed. Most have been remediated-but I wouldn't even want one of those. The new housing market came to a screaching halt about 2006-so homes less then 10 years old are not that common. From what we can see the market has definitely picked up in the last couple of years. Prices have been going up and the bargains are getting harder to find. We're thinking about buying one sooner than later and maybe renting it out until we're ready to move down. If your only planning to be here part of the year I would definitely think about a gated community or a condo. We have a great real estate agent we've been working with in the CC/Ft. Myers area if you need a reference. He's been great taking us around and showing us a variety of places knowing we're a few years out of committing to buy. Lot's of agents don't want to do that-and I can understand that time is money to them. Feel free to message me if you some more ideas-and welcome to Paradise!

Old 02-08-2016, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful post mklady756. We're late 50's and pretty grounded as far as expectations go. Naturally we'd love a place that would be convenient to natural attractions like beach / waterfront areas but we're not willing to go real high on the price so we get it that the closer you are to beaches the more $$$$. What we had in mind was possibly a townhouse / condo or bungalow style that has vacay-rent appeal when we're not in town. So I'd assume location to attractions would be important (like beach, golfcourses, etc.). Something below $200K in a 2 BR /1.5 Bath type would be ideal. We'd consider foreclosures or short-sales but not sure if those are still in supply. (And I really don't need a major reno project). I don't plan on owning a boat (again) but I could see renting one from time-to-time. Like you, we're thinking we might get in something before we retire but just aren't quite sure where (yet).

Thanks again for the great post!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:48 PM

30 posts, read 32,040 times
I don't know if this is any use to you, but I recently made a youtube video of me driving from Del Prado blvd through Cape Coral parkway and finally to SE 8th PL at the request of one of my mother's real estate clients. I drive about quite a bit as my Ford is up for rental on Turo.com and I deliver it to addresses locally. If there are any parts of Cape Coral you would like me to upload and post here for you just let me know!

https://youtu.be/MRXIj161FWM

Old 02-11-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore_887 View Post
I don't know if this is any use to you, but I recently made a youtube video of me driving from Del Prado blvd through Cape Coral parkway and finally to SE 8th PL at the request of one of my mother's real estate clients. I drive about quite a bit as my Ford is up for rental on Turo.com and I deliver it to addresses locally. If there are any parts of Cape Coral you would like me to upload and post here for you just let me know!

https://youtu.be/MRXIj161FWM
Thanks for the reply, link. I guess as far as traffic goes, Cape Coral parkway looks like any SoCal or South Texas community. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:19 PM

10,142 posts, read 4,743,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
If you go to Ft. Myers bring a gun, crime is really BAD!

Crime is really bad if you plan on vacationing in Dunbar or Harlem Heights otherwise you'll be fine. People that post stuff like that are ignorant.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:24 PM

10,142 posts, read 4,743,123 times
I live in Gateway and love it. You have single family homes, condos and villas to choose from. The streets are tree lined and there aren't strip malls all over the place like in Cape Coral. We have been limited to shopping but Publix is building a new store up the road and some nice restaurants have come to Gateway.

The biggest problem in Gateway, in my opinion, is the traffic. Between the snowbirds (Oct-April) and baseball's spring training which is nearby the traffic is awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or