Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman46544 View Post
Was there last Friday and didn't see any brown water.

Good to know Headed down in May
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 03:15 PM

249 posts, read 321,385 times
A lot could change by May. Rain will play a major role in the Army Corps of Engineers decision to release water from the Lake O area. Above average rains could cause officials to open the gates and release water that eventually ends up in our Gulf of Mexico.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktobob View Post
A lot could change by May. Rain will play a major role in the Army Corps of Engineers decision to release water from the Lake O area. Above average rains could cause officials to open the gates and release water that eventually ends up in our Gulf of Mexico.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:04 PM

374 posts, read 795,860 times
I remember 3 years ago, the Army Corp release an unusually large amount of water and the bay behind Sanibel looks like the orange runoff from a mine. There were protesters lined up the span of the Sanivel Causeway. It was sad. I know this year they also released a lot of water, but am hoping not as recent. Regardless we still swim and have never had any reactions to the browner than usual water. Now Red Tide, on the other hand, is horrible. We were down in December and there was a red tide outbreak that left thousands of dead fish on the Southern end of Sanibel. Fortunately they cleaned them up pretty fast, but it still hurt a bit to take a deep breath. Despite the Lake O, red tide is just a part of the Gulf...

Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 AM

180 posts, read 276,899 times
It's brown. I would post pics but I dont know how. Army Corp released a lot of water recently and many articles in the paper about it. People are not happy. It is killing off certain species and driving others away. I don't see dolphins and birds as abundantly as I used to at Bowditch. Its sad. Tourism is down. We went up to Englewood and the water was pretty.
But we don't swim or fish, so it is not having that much of an impact on our vacation. It still sounds the same and I mostly sit and read a book. But sad when I realize that its just not the water color, its what its doing to the ecosystem. Hopefully they will figure it out soon. They say the ecosystem still has not recovered since the big release of water 3 years ago.
From what i have read, January had the highest rain falls since the 1930's, so that is what prompted this latest release of water from Okeechobee.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewi View Post
It's brown. I would post pics but I dont know how. Army Corp released a lot of water recently and many articles in the paper about it. People are not happy. It is killing off certain species and driving others away. I don't see dolphins and birds as abundantly as I used to at Bowditch. Its sad. Tourism is down. We went up to Englewood and the water was pretty.
But we don't swim or fish, so it is not having that much of an impact on our vacation. It still sounds the same and I mostly sit and read a book. But sad when I realize that its just not the water color, its what its doing to the ecosystem. Hopefully they will figure it out soon. They say the ecosystem still has not recovered since the big release of water 3 years ago.
From what i have read, January had the highest rain falls since the 1930's, so that is what prompted this latest release of water from Okeechobee.

Bummer! I don't know why they can't figure something out! Instead they keep doing what they do and end up making more of a problem.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:06 PM

390 posts, read 634,682 times
The only way that it's going to stop being a problem is if the corporate farms stop polluting Lake Okeechobee with agricultural chemicals. Any other solution is just a bandaid, delaying the inevitable. The water has to go somewhere.

Many believe that the farming corporations are paying off high ranking government officials, eliminating their motivation to address the root of the problem. If that's true, it's a condition that isn't going to change any time soon unless laws are being broken and the entire ring gets caught and prosecuted.

In the meantime, we'll get plenty of lip service until the water levels get low enough to where they don't have to release it into the river anymore. At that time, they'll say "See, we told you we'd fix it and we did." Then the cycle will start all over again next time we get enough rain to have to release water from the lake.

Last edited by NoSnow4me; 03-15-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-15-2016, 01:34 PM

This was a pic of the damage from 3 years ago.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:54 PM

17 posts, read 25,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Good to know Headed down in May
Hard to say what it will be like in May but hope it's all good, probably heading down there again soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area