Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,341,860 times

Advertisements

We have decided that we are going to move to Ft Myers. Originally, we were looking at NP, but that commute would have been too long.

Anyone have suggestions on safe, active areas for a young couple? We have a boat so we love boating, fishing, beach, cool shops and cafes. We don't have children yet, but are hoping to shortly. We want to be close to an area where we can park and walk around, enjoy fun activities, and not be too far from the beach/Sanibel and Captiva. However, we don't want to live at the beach.

We don't mind older homes (if they have been updated). We are mostly concerned with hip area that is safe.

Anyone have suggestions?

We checked out the northwest part of Ft Myers, but there was only one house we liked, and the fees in Moody River Estates were $610 per month for a condo, and nearly $800+ for a single family home OUCH!!!! So, that's out. We checked out Estero, which is lovely, but none of the communities allow fences. We need a fence, plus I don't want that strict of a neighborhood. We like to feel like we own our home (and not that we rent space from an HOA), and have some privacy.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 02:49 PM

21 posts, read 97,268 times
Have you looked into Cape Coral?? Just across the river from FM, not a bad commute if you work in FM (better than coming up from Bonita or Estero that is for sure!!)

Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyP View Post
Have you looked into Cape Coral?? Just across the river from FM, not a bad commute if you work in FM (better than coming up from Bonita or Estero that is for sure!!)
Yes, a little...however everyone says "don't move to Cape Coral"...and since we are so new to the area...we are heeding the consistent warnings.

When we moved to Jacksonville (glad I'm leaving BTW), we found a lovely home, priced right in a very nice community. Everyone said "don't move to Orange Park"....and we didn't listen. We sold the house for a 20K loss from what we bought it for. (Luckily, we put down over 40% of value). Now, the people who bought it from us are getting divorced, and have to list it for 50K under what they spent to buy it from us. I guess we are gun shy when we get the 'ol "don't move there" phrase.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM

172 posts, read 945,495 times
Oh, psht. Cape Coral isn't bad. They do have a bunch of dumb restrictions but most don't have any real effect on your life (no metal trash cans, no business trucks in driveway, no more than one garage sale at your house per month). The downtown area of Cape Coral has cute little events and some nice shops. Every Saturday is the farmer's market and the first Saturday of every month is a little French Market that has all these independent stores putting out booths and it's so nice. I'm a big fan of SE Cape Coral. Try looking at a couple of places on the river side of Del Prado south of Veterans. Beach Parkway, Palaco Grande, Orchid, and Savona are pretty nice. My biggest complaints with Cape Coral were the city government, driving on Del Prado, and the lack of trees (besides palm trees).

Also, look into off McGregor. It's pretty nice and I don't think there are a ton of restrictions. There's some nice, old houses but I think they are all pretty pricey.

Did you decide against the house off Birkdale?

HEY! If you get the chance, come down next weekend and check out the parade!!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
Oh, psht. Cape Coral isn't bad. They do have a bunch of dumb restrictions but most don't have any real effect on your life (no metal trash cans, no business trucks in driveway, no more than one garage sale at your house per month). The downtown area of Cape Coral has cute little events and some nice shops. Every Saturday is the farmer's market and the first Saturday of every month is a little French Market that has all these independent stores putting out booths and it's so nice. I'm a big fan of SE Cape Coral. Try looking at a couple of places on the river side of Del Prado south of Veterans. Beach Parkway, Palaco Grande, Orchid, and Savona are pretty nice. My biggest complaints with Cape Coral were the city government, driving on Del Prado, and the lack of trees (besides palm trees).

Also, look into off McGregor. It's pretty nice and I don't think there are a ton of restrictions. There's some nice, old houses but I think they are all pretty pricey.

Did you decide against the house off Birkdale?

HEY! If you get the chance, come down next weekend and check out the parade!!
The house off Birkdale went under contract today. we called on Moody River, and if you read the OP, you can see where they are headed with their fees. it's outrageous! Oh, and the private boat ramp isnt' even going to happen in there. It's crazy.

My best friend's parent live in SE Cape...off SE 35th. They love it. That was 5 miles from the Birkdale house.

We have several homes lined up off McGregor..some areas look pretty bad there...which is why I was worried, but many looked nice. We are also looking at some homes in 33908, and off J& W Bulb. I was "told" those are decent areas too. I had a friend trying to get us to move to Estero...but it was a little too plastic.

I had the realtor send over some homes in the Cape, but she sent all West Side, NW and SW homes. I guess the better deals are there b/c it is newer?

My husband will be there this weekend....I have to stay home and show this house! I'm chomping at the bit to get there...just want to get as much info as I can so I don't drive aimlessly...I hear it's not good to do that in Ft Myers. LOL

Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,611 times
San Carlos Park is in the southern part of Fort Myers, right next to Estero, and that isn't supposed to be too bad.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:05 PM

I had no idea the fees were that high there. Jeez. I'm sorry I even mentioned that area then.

Dang about the Birkdale house! I'll keep my eyes peeled for any decent looking homes in that area if you want! I'm hanging with the 'rents tomorrow, so I'll be in the vicinity anyway.

SW and NW Cape Coral is okay, but you have to be careful where you buy. Make sure it has city water already or you'll get slapped with a huge bill down the road. It's starting to get pretty built up over there too. I don't really like it though because it's all big chain stores and looks like crap (IMO). SE Cape has a little more character. Check the 33904 zip code area for homes.

Where off McGregor looked bad?! Stay river side and you should be fine! Oh, check Iona area too. There's some nice houses back in there.

Driving aimlessly is a favorite past time of mine! It's how I got through my teen years here. I used to go down the roads off McGregor and pick the houses I wanted to live in. Just don't be one of those people to stop in the middle of the road because you want to take a picture of a bird or something, ok?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
San Carlos Park is in the southern part of Fort Myers, right next to Estero, and that isn't supposed to be too bad.
Great...I think that is in 33912...we have a home or two there. Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
I had no idea the fees were that high there. Jeez. I'm sorry I even mentioned that area then.

Dang about the Birkdale house! I'll keep my eyes peeled for any decent looking homes in that area if you want! I'm hanging with the 'rents tomorrow, so I'll be in the vicinity anyway.

SW and NW Cape Coral is okay, but you have to be careful where you buy. Make sure it has city water already or you'll get slapped with a huge bill down the road. It's starting to get pretty built up over there too. I don't really like it though because it's all big chain stores and looks like crap (IMO). SE Cape has a little more character. Check the 33904 zip code area for homes.

Where off McGregor looked bad?! Stay river side and you should be fine! Oh, check Iona area too. There's some nice houses back in there.

Driving aimlessly is a favorite past time of mine! It's how I got through my teen years here. I used to go down the roads off McGregor and pick the houses I wanted to live in. Just don't be one of those people to stop in the middle of the road because you want to take a picture of a bird or something, ok?
Nah...I see cranes and birds all the time here in Jax....I'll be buzzing around quickly..it's the northerner in me.

Well, I don't want to offend...I think we went to two houses on the river side. They were yucko yucko. They were across the street from the "large" Whiskey Creek. My agent said the river side was more desireable...but the street was pooy. Oddly enough, we liked the looks of Tanglewood and Whiskey Creek, but they were on the other side of the street.?????

I'll DM you with the streets my husband is viewing on Saturday. You can tell me if you know them. I'll check Iona. Is that a street, or an area?

Thanks for the zip...that helps. Yeah, I was bummed about the Birkdale house, but it was so nice...and furnished, that I knew it would go fast....it was a good price too.

I just don't want to drive, and end up in some bad part of town. I'll stick around the Daniels/McGregor area where my husband will be working, and I think we'll be ok.

We are also looking at a home in Southwind. That looked lovely, but again..I bet our agent will tell us they don't allow fences. Oddly, i kind of like the older homes...the tile roofs; they are larger, and if they've been updated, they have more character than the newer homes.

Also, a home in Calusa and a home in Venetian Village. i guess they allow fences...but the lots look REALLY small.

Thanks for all your help! Have fun hanging with the "rents".

BTW; what is the difference between Lochmoor Country Club (the Birkdale house), and Waterway Estates right there? I heard there was a "not so good neighborhood" by Lochmoor. I think Waterway sits on the ElRio golf course. Do you know anything about that area? It's closer to 41..which I guess isn't good.

I appreciate all the help! I think you are one of the only people who knows Ft Myers...I don't ever get a lot of responses.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Once you get south of Veterans/Colonial, both sides of McGregor get pretty desireable. Actually either side of McGregor is pretty nice except for a couple of streets close to downtown. It's just easier to generalize with the river side

Whiskey Creek and Tanglewood are super nice. Everyone has the best lawns, I swear. They may have some sort of HOA though, with crazy strict rules. I'd look into that first. But it's a great neighborhood for kids (when you have them!). The elementary school is rated A and there is a private school across the streetish that is top notch (Canterbury).

Iona is an area. It's south Fort Myers on the way to the beach. I believe it's in the 33908 area.

Older homes have way more character than the new ones. The newer Cape Coral houses all look a little cookie cutter. I guess that's part of the reason why I don't like NE/NW Cape. It reminds me of a movie set where all the houses look the same. Ugh.

There's no real difference between Waterway Estates and Lochmoor Country Club. It's the same danged road. Lochmoor is just at the end with the little boat area and pool and it's where the golf club used to be. Part of Birkdale butts up to it, the other side spills more onto the "Waterway Estates" section. Oh, and Lochmoor goes down to a two land road, where Waterway Estates remains 4 lanes with a grassy median. (the cops love the grassy median!!)

The "not so good neighborhood" may refer to the other side of Orange Grove, called Ridgeway Estates. It's the side of Orange Grove the high school is on. It's not terrible, but it's not what you want either.

How's the hunting going? Where is the hubby looking this weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area