Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 01:23 PM

26 posts, read 34,731 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious on why Cape Coral-Fort Myers-Naples area only has one limited access highway (I-75) considering the fact that Lee County and Collier County combines for a population of 1 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 01:38 PM

390 posts, read 628,420 times
Veterans Parkway through Cape Coral is limited access. I agree that we could use more of them in the area. Traffic isn't horrific around here, but it isn't exactly smooth sailing through most areas either.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,624,709 times
What makes a limited access highway?

Old 03-15-2016, 02:28 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,552,988 times
When the interstate system was planned in the 1950s interstate 75 ended in Tampa Bay area... there was not much in SW FL. Lee County population was 23,000, the entire state was under 3 million total population. US 41 was able to handle traffic.

I 75 was not extended until the 1970s and 80s.

A lot of places in Florida are lacking freeways when you compare to other states like NC, PA, MD or CT.

Florida had almost all the major US Highways as 4 lanes divided by the 1950s. If you drive US 19/98 north of Crystal River it gives a feel of what much of SW Florida was like with respect to freeways.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 34,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
What makes a limited access highway?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cont...access_highway

Old 03-19-2016, 06:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,624,709 times
It's just the way the towns were set up. They must have never anticipated a large population or would have built a freeway thru the town like 1-85 on the east coast of Florida. When I lived in Broward county I used I95 all the time to get from one town or side of town to another because you hop on and the average speed was 75. We also had Federal Highway, which is Route 1, but that was not a road with lights and stores and uturn lanes and a speed limit of 45.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 13,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSnow4me View Post
Veterans Parkway through Cape Coral is limited access.
A single interchange at Del Prado does not an expressway make. Although I agree that Colonial/Veterans between Summerlin and Country Club Blvd is the closest thing we have to a local expressway (limited access highway). In the 80s, I believe, planners wanted to give Fort Myers - Cape Coral a proper beltway using Colonial Blvd and what became Veterans Parkway. The NIMBYs rose up and killed it.

With all of Lee County's growth since then, our lack of highways has become very conspicuous. Cape Coral is the most populous city in the United States not to have an expressway within its borders. Fort Myers - Naples is the second largest metro not to be served by a single local expressway. (West Palm Beach is the largest. Albuquerque was recently on the list too, but they've finally built one.)

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any highway proposals gaining traction right now. All the DOT does is add more lanes, more traffic lights, and on a good day we get a flyover. Oh yeah, and more traffic lights. The retirees oppose almost every construction project... they moved down here to die, not to watch other people live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area