U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 02:52 PM

4,965 posts, read 4,946,136 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was strongly considering coming down and staying in one of the rustic cabins at Cayo Costa State Park, or even just going to either there, or Cabbage Key for the day. However, most of the prices I'm finding for that are somewhat expensive. The cheapest RT ferry rate (the only rate) I have heard so far is $45 pp. Even for just going to Cabbage Key for the day, it appears the best rate their is is a one way rate of $20 pp each way (Total: 40). Is there anything cheaper than that, or is that what the standard rates are? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 03:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,823,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Hello all,

I was strongly considering coming down and staying in one of the rustic cabins at Cayo Costa State Park, or even just going to either there, or Cabbage Key for the day. However, most of the prices I'm finding for that are somewhat expensive. The cheapest RT ferry rate (the only rate) I have heard so far is $45 pp. Even for just going to Cabbage Key for the day, it appears the best rate their is is a one way rate of $20 pp each way (Total: 40). Is there anything cheaper than that, or is that what the standard rates are? Thanks!
Cabbage Key is more like a two hour experience vs an all day type of thing. I have stayed overnight on Cayo Costa before in one of those cabins and it is a pretty mixed bag as far as a review. Cayo Costa is an exceptional place. We pulled up to the docks, got our stuff onto the tram, went over to our cabin. Very rustic it is an open room with bunks (bring sheets and your own pillow). There is no A/c , fans, electricity or breeze. The air inside is "dead air" If you go during the winter it would be ok.
We spent the day out on the beach. I did a lot of fishing and we cooked the fresh fish over the campfire. (brought some potatoes with onion, garlic and olive oil to complete the meal). We watched the sunset and had a great time around the campfire at night, lots of beer and wine.
Depending on your physical ability.... it is very doable to rent kayaks and cross from pineland to Cabbage Key. There are so many people that make that trip you may even be able to find someone that has a boat that would be willing to drop you off in exchange for helping to pay for gas. I just got back from a florida vacation last week and went to Cayo Costa twice, water was 78 degrees, fishing was good, water quality was also good.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:33 PM

4,965 posts, read 4,946,136 times
Wow very helpful post! Sounds like you had a good time, but wouldn't advise a trip there from late April to mid October. I will definitely look into that. We are in good shape but would worry about our kayak getting carried out to sea by currents maybe? Is it possible to rent in Pine Island and bring across?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,823,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Wow very helpful post! Sounds like you had a good time, but wouldn't advise a trip there from late April to mid October. I will definitely look into that. We are in good shape but would worry about our kayak getting carried out to sea by currents maybe? Is it possible to rent in Pine Island and bring across?
I would contact these guys about kayak rentals in the area.
Kayak Launch and Storage | Pineland Marina, Bokeelia, Florida - Pineland Marina

I wouldn't worry about currents carrying you out to sea the water averages about 3 feet deep in most spots. Look at pineland marina on a map you can see how close Cayo Costa.

April , May and October would probably be the best times to go. June , July, August would be like sleeping in a Sauna.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 AM

195 posts, read 244,813 times
My wife and I took the ferry from Bokeelia. We left around 9 am and headed to Cabbage Key. We had lunch and roamed around the Island for a while. We then boarded the ferry and were taken to Cayo Costa. We had our cooler and beach chairs. Took the tram across the island to the beach. Spent a couple of hours enjoying the beach and looking around. Back on the tram and boarded the ferry back to Bokeelia where we arrived about 3:30 PM. It was a very enjoyable day and I would recommend it.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:39 PM

19,717 posts, read 15,497,525 times
About 10 years ago, my then GF and I took our boat to Cabbage Key and stayed there for the weekend. They have rooms that you can stay in right off the bar area. It was a really nice, relaxing weekend, we spent the days climbing the tower and fishing near the stilt homes out on the flats. The room was kind of cozy and quaint, but nice.

I think they still do that, and would recommend it to anyone.

Don

Old 03-10-2017, 04:05 PM

18 posts, read 16,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
About 10 years ago, my then GF and I took our boat to Cabbage Key and stayed there for the weekend. They have rooms that you can stay in right off the bar area. It was a really nice, relaxing weekend, we spent the days climbing the tower and fishing near the stilt homes out on the flats. The room was kind of cozy and quaint, but nice.

I think they still do that, and would recommend it to anyone.

Don
Does anyone rent full time on pine island? Was looking to rent full time for a year, but all I could find was quarterly rentals? I know there are tons in Cape Coral but really like to stay on the quiet slow pace of life.

Any suggestions who I could contact for rentals on the island?

Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 PM

45 posts, read 55,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4ansers View Post
Does anyone rent full time on pine island? Was looking to rent full time for a year, but all I could find was quarterly rentals? I know there are tons in Cape Coral but really like to stay on the quiet slow pace of life.

Any suggestions who I could contact for rentals on the island?
I don't have any names for you but I would advise contacting those quarterly renters and making them an offer on a full year. I've found people to be pretty flexible down here - especially if their place is currently empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area