U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,096 times

Advertisements

I saw some lively traffic about pool leaks and refilling/topping off pools in this space. My question would be best answered by someone familiar with Cape Coral water, but of course I appreciate any informed feedback. We have very expensive water in Cape Coral, especially when we go over a certain gallonage per month. Now we have been chasing down pool leaks for a few months and getting killed on the constant topping off of our 25x12, 48 inch deep kidney shaped pool. We have a separate water supply for irrigation that is not charged per gallon but on a flat rate for as much as we use per month. We can easily hook a hose to it, but we've been afraid to introduce that water into our pool. ON the one hand, logic says, use that water, IT'S NOT BROWN, it's clear, there's not even a strong smell. and we're filtering it through paper and treating it with chlorine. ON the other hand...is it safe? Is it smart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:31 PM

195 posts, read 161,948 times
The irrigation water that the city provides for you is run off water. So it has oil and whatever was on the road when it rained.
I used a hose hooked up to that water to water plants around the house. In a short time the residue in the water had ruined my hose nozzle and I could not even get it off the hose.
I can only imagine what it would do to pool pumps.
I have never tried it in a pool so maybe someone else can be more specific.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,096 times
Thanks for your input. It makes sense because our irrigation system is also not working properly, I hadn't really put 2 and 2 together that the irrigation water was possibly fouling the lawn sprinkler plumbing. But we hooked up a regular little lawn sprinkler to water our banana trees and its coming out of there pretty clean. I think I'll do a dissolved solids, chlorine, and acidity test on the irrigation water just for the hell of it!
Hopefully we'll get the pool leak fixed and wont have to pay $120 a month just to keep the pool full!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:40 PM

1,059 posts, read 802,887 times
I would advise not using the irrigation water for the reasons that Mr. CC listed. I know nothing of CC's irrigation water supply, but the purple-piped stuff in Phoenix came from water treatment plants. It would be one thing to top off your pool in an emergency, but if you are doing it constantly, you will will eventually have an irrigation pool. Lord knows what the mineral content of it is.

I would work more on finding that leak(s). What methods have you tried to find them? Do you think it's in the pool itself or the lines?

If you are pressed to use irrigation water, at least try to see what it's made of.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:50 PM

385 posts, read 377,106 times
I thought the irrigation was reclaimed sewage.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:19 PM

544 posts, read 1,196,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralanthony View Post
I saw some lively traffic about pool leaks and refilling/topping off pools in this space. My question would be best answered by someone familiar with Cape Coral water, but of course I appreciate any informed feedback. We have very expensive water in Cape Coral, especially when we go over a certain gallonage per month. Now we have been chasing down pool leaks for a few months and getting killed on the constant topping off of our 25x12, 48 inch deep kidney shaped pool. We have a separate water supply for irrigation that is not charged per gallon but on a flat rate for as much as we use per month. We can easily hook a hose to it, but we've been afraid to introduce that water into our pool. ON the one hand, logic says, use that water, IT'S NOT BROWN, it's clear, there's not even a strong smell. and we're filtering it through paper and treating it with chlorine. ON the other hand...is it safe? Is it smart?
We used it when we rented our duplex and I know our neighbors filled their whole pool with it (much to the consternation of the pool company who had to use a ton of chemicals to the PH balanced). There's nothing wrong with it once it's treated.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 AM

10,120 posts, read 4,727,051 times
On the bright side rainy season is around the corner and then your pool will be overflowing. No I would not use reclaimed water in your pool. It's not worth taking a chance especially if you or your kids are swimming and swallow some. Not sure how much the chlorine in the pool will clean that reclaimed water.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:35 AM

74 posts, read 57,969 times
I had a leak in my pool in Fort Myers. I was topping off about an inch (70 gallons) a day. Long story short, the leak was located at the skimmer throat. My pool guy noticed that the water level would never go any lower than the skimmer. The pool company recommended I call a company called Hydro Scott Florida Leak Detection | Florida Pool Leak Detection. The repair only cost me $350 compared to hundreds I wasted topping off!
I can highly recommend these guys. Their prices were very reasonable. They did a pro job. Don't waste your money, fix the leak!

Last edited by AXEL276; 04-15-2016 at 07:50 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 09:05 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,074,975 times
You can not use reclaimed sewerage water in your pool. I use my well water to top off the pool. All homes built prior to the city installation of water lines had wells. Many are unused. If your house was built before the mid 1990's you have a well. Of course many homes still have wells where city water is not yet available. If you don't know where your well is, the city will come to your home and locate it for you. I had to refurbish mine for $1500 but I think in about three years it paid for itself.

"The city will also start looking at properties that are illegally using the reclaimed water for such things as filling a pool, and even using the reclaimed water for household uses. Beyond the fact, it is illegal to use the reclaimed water for such uses, Cassidy said using the water for such purposes poses a serious health risk.."
http://capecoral.com/content/city-pr...watering-abuse

Old 04-16-2016, 09:47 AM

9,646 posts, read 6,928,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
You can not use reclaimed sewerage water in your pool. I use my well water to top off the pool. All homes built prior to the city installation of water lines had wells. Many are unused. If your house was built before the mid 1990's you have a well. Of course many homes still have wells where city water is not yet available. If you don't know where your well is, the city will come to your home and locate it for you. I had to refurbish mine for $1500 but I think in about three years it paid for itself.

"The city will also start looking at properties that are illegally using the reclaimed water for such things as filling a pool, and even using the reclaimed water for household uses. Beyond the fact, it is illegal to use the reclaimed water for such uses, Cassidy said using the water for such purposes poses a serious health risk.."
http://capecoral.com/content/city-pr...watering-abuse
I would also think it's possible to have a well dug for irrigation and water for the pool. When we lived in Miami, that is mostly what people did, and from what I could see the water there was cheaper than it is in Lee and Charlotte counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or