Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:48 PM

113 posts, read 103,318 times

Advertisements

I placed an important specific group of plants in my driveway about a foot away from the street along the grass towards my house. Came outside after garbage day, Tuesday, to find them all gone. Needless to say that wasn't a good day for me and I'm still pissed. Lady on the phone said they'd call back today. They didn't. She asked me if I actually saw them take them, as if to make a point. So if and when the supervisor of this dept. gets back to me there's likely the chance they'll just deny it. Lady on the phone DID mention trash to be picked up should be within 6' to the street. But so... say if my grandfather was sitting out there on the grass Tuesday morning taking a nap, can/should the garbage guy pick up grandpa? I feel like someone just tresspassed on my property and took things and threw them away. I'm actually trying to be rational here but would you at least demand an apology. I'm thinking of asking them how they plan to make this right, tho not as some bargaining positioning since I can replace those pots no biggie but my baby trees and seedlings that I've spent a lot of time on nursing. Actually they should replace my pots and that HD plant trough isn't cheap! Anyway, thoughts on this? How much evergy would you spend on this? Are they not in the wrong? I mean, idk, I'm considering demanding they send a cute girl over with a large pizza and a six pack. Just to deliver the food. Something! Excuse me. Guess I had to rant a little. I barely consume pizza and beer. I'm more like a salad and tea kind of guy. Actually, a bit of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 07:55 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,377,888 times
Why would you put plants in your driveway about a foot away from the street on garbage day? These guys aren't mind readers as to what you want gone and what stays.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 PM

Well... I see your point and I'm not taking it personally BUT my plants weren't along the street where, unless I'm wrong, is where you're supposed to put your trash, NOT along the driveway. I'm thinking it was a FNG. Again a mistake but I think they should at least apologize.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:44 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,409,757 times
Could they of been flat out stolen?

Someone else, other than the garbage man, could of thought they were being disposed of. We have people come through our neighborhood the night before our main pick-up day looking for scrap/things of value left out for garbage.

You did leave them in a spot where someone could load them into a truck/trunk in a short amount of time.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:03 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,870,594 times
I know you feel violated, but don't put "important" stuff that close to your trash pick up area (which is on your driveway or grassy area along the street, not IN the street) and it wont' be mistaken for trash.

As someone else said, there's a good chance they were taken by someone else.... some people like to dig thru other people's crap on trash day and maybe someone thought you giving the plants away.

You can't prove it either way and I doubt the trash guy is going to remember your house out of the hundreds he picks up in one day so I suggest you let it go and move on.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:44 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,858,310 times
Lot of people cruise the streets scavenging ahead of the garbage truck....they pick up anything useful to sell for scrap or whatever....might have been one of them.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:48 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,971,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
Well... I see your point and I'm not taking it personally BUT my plants weren't along the street where, unless I'm wrong, is where you're supposed to put your trash, NOT along the driveway. I'm thinking it was a FNG. Again a mistake but I think they should at least apologize.
Apologize to you for your mistake?
Why does one put their plants in a driveway anyway?
Everyone I know who has plants puts them in the center of their lawn or on the sidewalk leading up to their front porch if they want to give them extra sun.
Someone could have seen the plants in the drive way and assumed they were out to be taken for free the same way many put their unwanted items out at the end of the driveway.

PS ~~ What is an *FNG*? Please use real words, some of us old people don't do slang letters.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Could they of been flat out stolen?

Someone else, other than the garbage man, could of thought they were being disposed of. We have people come through our neighborhood the night before our main pick-up day looking for scrap/things of value left out for garbage.

You did leave them in a spot where someone could load them into a truck/trunk in a short amount of time.

Yes yes and yes. Definitely possible come to think of it. I guess there is a gray area, literally, one must be cognizant of. I suppose they can't entirely keep off your property as then we'd all have to use the street only to store trash which would pose a problem so trash disposer beware of gray area.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I know you feel violated, but don't put "important" stuff that close to your trash pick up area (which is on your driveway or grassy area along the street, not IN the street) and it wont' be mistaken for trash.

As someone else said, there's a good chance they were taken by someone else.... some people like to dig thru other people's crap on trash day and maybe someone thought you giving the plants away.

You can't prove it either way and I doubt the trash guy is going to remember your house out of the hundreds he picks up in one day so I suggest you let it go and move on.

True. Come to think of it, as I'm into plants, if I saw those I might at least wonder if they're for taking. I pick up people's furniture or what-not too. But I think I'd think twice and maybe knock first with a nice healthy looking set of something especially if they were aligned along the driveway, NOT the street. I keep thinking there's an obvious distinction there. At least there should be. Along the street vs one's driveway should clarify that gray area. ****, I want secure rights to the space along my driveway UP TO the street. Shouldn't I get that?

And no, I'm sure garbage guy when questioned by his supervisor about a set of plants on my street(as address reported)remembered my row of plants but either one or the two quickly realized zero point in admitting it.
Could be wrong but come on. Either way, I'm over it by now. But I'm absolutely reclaiming my driveway space somehow. A note or something. Tho what happens when the guy changes to another one. Hmm.. might have to talk to company -if they ever call back!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Apologize to you for your mistake?
Why does one put their plants in a driveway anyway?
Everyone I know who has plants puts them in the center of their lawn or on the sidewalk leading up to their front porch if they want to give them extra sun.
Someone could have seen the plants in the drive way and assumed they were out to be taken for free the same way many put their unwanted items out at the end of the driveway.

PS ~~ What is an *FNG*? Please use real words, some of us old people don't do slang letters.

Well maybe then they should have also taken my car in my driveway too then right? Who puts stuff in their driveway that they don't want to be thrown out?

And if you don't know what an FNG is you must be one in the internet lol. No prob: "friggin' new guy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: