Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 PM

222 posts, read 220,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Many rescues and animal services DO check for certain things. I wish I knew the answer for the pet overpopulation problem but some people just don't care and having a license to own a pet will most likely only be adhered to by law abiding citizens.

We have people out there who drive despite having suspended licenses - I doubt those types of people are going to be concerned about a pet license. Then you have the people who feel it is their "right" to have a pet and the government doesn't need to be involved. It is an uphill battle for those who care for the unwanted animals.

My biggest suggestion would be to NEVER, EVER buy a dog from a pet shop and have your pet neutered or spayed. Despite what the pet store may tell you, 99% of the time the parents of those cute puppies are languishing in small cages 24/7 with no love, no attention and no medical care. Ditto for the backyard "breeder" who is only looking to make a buck and keeps their animals in horrid conditions.

Google National Mill Dog Rescue. This is a wonderful organization that takes the dogs that are no longer wanted from the puppy mill breeders, vets them and finds them homes.
Correct, and these people are taken to jail, given tickets/fines, deported, etc (when found). I'm not saying there should be an all out war on people who keep domestic animals. What should be done is a licensing on people who have or want to have animals that can be potentially dangerous to people or the environment. It really isn't much of a battle if people say things when they should. "see something, say something".

I'm in a particularly sharing mood tonight so I will say that I spend 6 days a week spending time with people who adopt or find animals(especially dogs) and have absolutely 0 knowledge about them. I did not originally want this job, but I'm an individual who finds a need to help others, especially animals. 1 out of 15 on average has a genuine respect and ability to care for the animal. The rest have no idea and just want an animal for their own selfish reasons. Some of the less fortunate, find free or cheap animals and try to breed these animals for profit and it rarely ends up as a good situation for the animal.

I've personally witnessed the aftermath of dogs being tied to garbage cans, litters of puppies and kittens left in rubbermaid containers, kittens and puppies thrown through windows and doors of pet shops. I can't tell you how many dead pitbull puppies I've seen left in shopping and garbage bags. There is no remorse for people like this.

This isn't an animal problem, its a people problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,241,777 times
It's always a people problem; almost every bad thing in our world is caused by people.

Both my beloved Chihuahuas have died in the last 3 1/2 months. They were both adopted from LCDAS. I feel lost without them.

I'm really torn about adopting another shelter dog. Part of me feels that I would only be trying to replace my two who were really irreplaceable and that I should give myself more time to grieve but the other part of me needs a dog in my life. I've never not had a dog except for brief periods of time when I lived in an apartment on Long Island. Even then I had a cat.

But I digress.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:23 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,698,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
It's always a people problem; almost every bad thing in our world is caused by people.

Both my beloved Chihuahuas have died in the last 3 1/2 months. They were both adopted from LCDAS. I feel lost without them.

I'm really torn about adopting another shelter dog. Part of me feels that I would only be trying to replace my two who were really irreplaceable and that I should give myself more time to grieve but the other part of me needs a dog in my life. I've never not had a dog except for brief periods of time when I lived in an apartment on Long Island. Even then I had a cat.

But I digress.
As soon as you are ready go adopt another Chihuahua, I rescued 2 and they are great dogs. When one of mine goes I'm gonna rescue another one. Don't only do it for you, do it for the dog that needs a loving home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area