Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:55 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times

Advertisements

What probably died was your compressor. The rest of the unit like the evaporator, the duct work, etc has no moving parts. So assuming that they are still in good shape, you just need a compressor and possibly some electrical upgrades and you should be good to go. The new freon is compatible w/ all the rest of the unit's parts. I know of nothing like a Saver Switch. It would probably not actually save you any money anyway, as letting the home get hot while the A/C is turned off would just make it that much harder to cool down when the A/C kicked back on. Your regular thermostat takes care of cycling the unit on and off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 09:14 PM

179 posts, read 346,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
When we replaced our HVAC system, we got estimates from 6 well known companies. The estimates ranged from $8,900 to $20,000. We chose the company that we had the most confidence, which was the same company that my parents used many decades before to install a central AC unit, which was also the same company we used to install a central AC unit over ten years ago on a previous home. The bid was about $13,500, which we paid for in cash. That company has been around over 50 years, and they have a 13 year transferable warranty.

Those prices seem high. Do you have a particularly large home? How many "ton" or BTU is the unit? Or, do you have multiple A/C units? I asked about replacing my 3.5 ton (42000 BTU). I was given a "verbal quote" of about $4,500 for 16 SEER, and that includes a new air handler. Are you replacing ducts, as well. Trying to figure out why you were quoted so high. ??

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:21 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paradise View Post
My townhouse is only 1000 square feet but both stories have 18 foot ceilings, so I would think I really have to double my square footage for cooling. I generally only use my place 6 weeks a year and have renters in the winter for 3 months. I didn't really think about it but you are right. I probably don't need a real efficient unit as most of the time, my thermostat is set at 88. Thanks for the input. You gave me good tips for when I call someone.
Whut th' HECK!?

Do you live in a missile silo?
Your building is 22 X 22 and 36 feet high!

Old 11-07-2016, 09:54 PM

179 posts, read 346,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Whut th' HECK!?

Now that right there is funny!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:06 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living the Florida Dream View Post
Those prices seem high. Do you have a particularly large home? How many "ton" or BTU is the unit? Or, do you have multiple A/C units? I asked about replacing my 3.5 ton (42000 BTU). I was given a "verbal quote" of about $4,500 for 16 SEER, and that includes a new air handler. Are you replacing ducts, as well. Trying to figure out why you were quoted so high. ??

Thanks.
I don't recall how many tons the AC is, I can check into that further. I checked the contract. The AC is a Bryant 4 HP 16.00 SEER, a Bryant 100K 97% natural gas furnace, an AprilAir high efficiency air filter, a AprilAir humidifier. The job also involved relocating the condenser location to the opposite side of the house, and installing the plastic high efficiency pipes out the side of the house, which was a more difficult path for the pipes, but resulted in a cleaner installation. We also added a WiFi thermostat.

So, maybe the installation was more complicated than installing central AC in Florida. Are furnaces installed in Florida? Or, is there another mechanism that is used for the forced air part of the central AC system in Florida? From time to time, there are cold snaps in Florida. I assume that you might still need a central heating system even in SW Florida. Or, do you use portable electric heaters in SW Florida for the rare occasions where the cold snaps occur?

I own 5 portable electric heaters, which I bought on sale, just to backup my old central furnace. If the furnace breaks down in the dead of winter, I can use the backup electric heaters so I don't have to call the expensive emergency after hours service. I ended up calling the emergency service a couple times with the old central furnace before I bought the back up portable electric heaters. After I bought the backup heaters, the old furnace never broke down, but the AC broke down. If we end up snowbirding or moving to SW Florida, I'll probably want to have a backup AC unit for at least part of the house, plus a whole house backup electric generator.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:21 AM

374 posts, read 795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Whut th' HECK!?

Always a smart ass somewhere.
My townhouse has ceilings above the living room and dining room that go from 10 to 18 feet to a loft upstairs. Then upstairs, adjacent to the loft, the ceilings once again go from 10 to 18 feet. It is very unique town home. And yes, there is more space above your head than usable square footage, but it has a very roomy feel. I mentioned such as to relay concern about necessary BTU to cool such a place.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:51 AM

374 posts, read 795,860 times
[IMG][/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: