Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:38 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

That would be my biggest fear: waking up to an intruder standing by my bed. For years when I was young and single I kept my gun under the pillow. However once when I was asleep my dog started growling. I woke up in a panic and actually froze despite the gun being under the pillow. It took me a few minutes to actually get up and investigate. Fortunately it wasn't anything. At least an alarm system would give me that few minutes to gather my wits about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 06:51 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
That would be my biggest fear: waking up to an intruder standing by my bed. For years when I was young and single I kept my gun under the pillow. However once when I was asleep my dog started growling. I woke up in a panic and actually froze despite the gun being under the pillow. It took me a few minutes to actually get up and investigate. Fortunately it wasn't anything. At least an alarm system would give me that few minutes to gather my wits about me.
Not only that but when you are gone and someone breaks in the cops will come. And I read online that when an alarm is triggered they send 2 cars out and it's not like 911 where you have to wait and explain things, obviously they will send the soonest car they can if all units are busy. Who wants to deal with things being stolen and your insurance rates going up and them denying parts of your claims or undervaluing your belongings or paying a deductible.

and if you are away and an alarm goes off squatter can't move in, once they are in it's a nightmare, but if they are caught breaking in they don't have a chance to become squatters.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:28 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
many different ways not to become a victim. don't throw boxes out at your curb showing what you may have in your house to temp break ins ie 65 in widescreen box. Get outside lights that turn on with motion sensors. have your alarm sign in the front yard and stickers on all sliding glass doors. and have a dog that will bark.

Instead of sleeping with gun under pillow have your car keys next to pillow and if you think you hear an intruder set off your cars panic alarm right away. between lights being shined on them and car alarms going off, dogs barking.... they are much more likely to go after a softer target.

of course not all breakins happen at night or when you're home so an alarm system can give you piece of mind and limit the damage that can be done.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:49 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
many different ways not to become a victim. don't throw boxes out at your curb showing what you may have in your house to temp break ins ie 65 in widescreen box. Get outside lights that turn on with motion sensors. have your alarm sign in the front yard and stickers on all sliding glass doors. and have a dog that will bark.

Instead of sleeping with gun under pillow have your car keys next to pillow and if you think you hear an intruder set off your cars panic alarm right away. between lights being shined on them and car alarms going off, dogs barking.... they are much more likely to go after a softer target.

of course not all breakins happen at night or when you're home so an alarm system can give you piece of mind and limit the damage that can be done.
I agree. It's a good idea to tear up the big electronics and high end equipment boxes into small pieces that fit inside your closed recycling container.

Some of my police dispatches that turned into actual burglary events, when I worked in the alarm monitoring industry, were very short events. The criminal only took the time to quickly grab one item, and escaped before the police arrived, which limited the damage.

You can also install 24 hour trap wires on high-end devices. Then if you forget to turn on your alarm, those high end devices will trip your alarm, trapping a burglar, even when the security system is disarmed. However, that adds a little hassle to your life on rare occasions, since you have to disable or bypass the 24 hour zones if you need to move the high end devices.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Wow! Some great advice from everyone. If I get the house I will definitely be getting an alarm system and possibly a dog. Both my Chihuahuas (hence my screen name) died in the last 6 months so I got a cat but I will consider getting a shelter dog.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Wow! Some great advice from everyone. If I get the house I will definitely be getting an alarm system and possibly a dog. Both my Chihuahuas (hence my screen name) died in the last 6 months so I got a cat but I will consider getting a shelter dog.
I have 2 Chihuahuas that I got from the Broward county shelter when I used to live there, they are great dogs. Smart, loyal and loving and great watch dogs too.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:28 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
when I lived in Massachusetts our house was in the nicest neighborhood in a nice town. there was a string of breakins in the neighborhood in a short period of time. all were during the daytime and the common theme was that none of the houses hit had dogs. We had a 140lb bernese mountain dog that had a scary bark. the house next door got broken into ours did not.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,888 times
Hi Dave, I thought your post was great and I wonder if you would mind if I shared it on my Facebook page? I will give you full credit...is your name Dave Phan? Thanks, Donna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: