Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
I'm sorry for posting exactly what I just saw on the main roads as I just drove into Cape Coral from Ft Myers. I did not go looking for those pictures they were right there on the main roads. Ya know, "first impressions" there it is in the pictures above. I make nothing up, i didn't paint those pictures. I figured there's nicer sections but if I gotta drive thru that everyday day, no thanks. Maybe you like it, I don't. People ask for info and that's what we give here. Plus I add photo's to back up what I state. Instead of downing us for giving out our info, why don't you give the good points of Cape Coral. Show some pictures of why you would tell people to move there.
I think the bigger question is why you are so hellbent to discourage interest, which now is pretty transparent. Given your historical posts (which are easy to locate) of trying to unload properties in other areas, it's obvious. Anyone can drive down a multitude of CC streets and see a far different picture than your cherry-picked ones. You are playing a game that is not productive as well as incorrect. Give it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 PM

204 posts, read 628,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
A little fair balance:

I'm afraid your pictures capture just one part of the Cape that any community has. What your post doesn't state is that the San Carlos Park has similar features with the added benefit of being in the landing pattern of Continental and Jet Blue Airlines.
Right? For a minute I thought HEY, it's southeast Mesa, AZ...I used to live in a really nice place close to there! There are places like that just about everywhere! I have seen rental homes in both CC and Ft. Myers that are very reasonably priced and don't look anything like that. I am moving out there, either Ft. Myers or CC whichever has what I am looking for next spring, and I have read sooo many people who offer no solutions and just scare tactics to try and keep people from moving to the area. For someone like myself...fixed income, looking for an affordable rental that's nice (and no...Sarasota does NOT have any in my price range!) with the bonus of Ft. Myers beach and close to Sanibel which I love it seems like just a fine fit to me : )

Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
different people have different sensitivities to the urban look of their area.

Although my mom is very well set financially, she still lives in the old neighbourhood I grew up in with Cape Coral style streetscapes...which for me are really depressing.

many many people don't care what the main street 2 miles from their house looks like, and I must confess, some of the views down the canals of Cape Coral are breathtakinging attractive.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
different people have different sensitivities to the urban look of their area.

Although my mom is very well set financially, she still lives in the old neighbourhood I grew up in with Cape Coral style streetscapes...which for me are really depressing.

many many people don't care what the main street 2 miles from their house looks like, and I must confess, some of the views down the canals of Cape Coral are breathtakinging attractive.
Honestly, if I were to take pics of the commercial "district" in San Carlos Park it would look a heck of a lot worse than Cape Coral. There's two bars there, one is The Country Club (use to be called Two Joes) and the other is San Carlos Lounge. The people that go there are indicative of the area and it is not pleasant. Of course, take any pic from the correct angle and it looks great. But if you put SCP up against CC, CC wins every time. SCP was always questionable and since the recession it has become so, so much worse. LOTS of rentals and abandoned homes.

Yes, there are some very nice people there and Three Oaks is a nice subdivision, but the nasties are encroaching. My MIL's home is now worth less than when she bought it in 1984 and it has been kept up, with new appliances and everything.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
that being said, still some incredible deals out there...for example, this is the cheapest house on MLS for San Carlos Park $74k - at that price, after homestead deduction, depending on your category or other exemptions, taxes would be close to zero?
17421 Kentucky Rd, Fort Myers

MLS #: 201036376
Price: $74,900

Street 17421 Kentucky Rd City, State Fort Myers, FL Zip 33967

Bedrooms: 3.00 Bathrooms: 2.00 Square Ft: 1,288 Half Baths: – Lot Size: 0.188 Stories: 1

Year Built: 1997 Prop. Type: Single Family Subdivision: San Carlos Park County: Lee
Description:
Nice family home in San Carlos Park. Fenced back yard, with good screened patio. Home is to have new carpet and interior paint before it closes. Tiled floors main living area. This would be a great starter or retirement home. See today before its gone.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
kroeran, that's not a bad area, either. However, I have no idea what you are looking at but I see about 60 homes under $70,000 for sale in SCP. My MIL's was just appraised at $40,000 and she bought it $44,000 in 1984.

This isn't the house, but it is the same neighborhood and her house looks just like it, except it is a bit bigger. http://listings.point2.com/1001156654/ (broken link)

Old 08-14-2010, 05:16 PM

26 posts, read 89,530 times
People are going to go where they want. I want to go to Fort Myers myself. Some homes look nice and and I don't need a huge beach. I just like the tropical feel. You're not going to turn me away. I'll change my mind if I don't like it in a year or so.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:31 PM

515 posts, read 1,590,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
I think the bigger question is why you are so hellbent to discourage interest, which now is pretty transparent. Given your historical posts (which are easy to locate) of trying to unload properties in other areas, it's obvious. Anyone can drive down a multitude of CC streets and see a far different picture than your cherry-picked ones. You are playing a game that is not productive as well as incorrect. Give it up.
Wow, your good, only been a member since April and you easily located past posts of mine??????? You must be a smart person. Looks like your trying to stir up stuff by looking up old posts, and making things up???? Wow, sounds like your the troublemaker! Please refresh me of my attempting to unload my properties. The properties that I have are successfully rented out and making decent money for these times. I won't be unloading any of them until the prices go back up. Until then i'm enjoying my rental income and the first class renters that I have in them.
The only reason you think were "hellbent on discouraging" people is that you keep interrupting those of us who respond to questions. Instead of starting trouble you should be puting in your .02 about why you would suggest for someone to buy there, as I stated before. Get off my case and others for expressing what we see and state what you see. Why do people like you lurk in the backround until your feeling are hurt and then speak up and stir up things? That's not helping anyone.

THEY ASKED A QUESTION, WE ANSWERED. ANSWER THEIR QUESTION WITH YOUR POSITIVE COMMENTS AND STOP TRYING TO MAKE TROUBLE PLEASE.
As I always say, rent first, get to know the area then make an educated decision when you purchase. There are plenty of streets in both CC and SCP that I would not live on or even buy an investment property on. Thats why I live in a deed restricted community because of those people who don't care enough about their neighbors and let their houses deteriorate or paint them like the pictures above, or park some old junky car and boat out front.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM

515 posts, read 1,590,547 times
If someone is looking to purchase a home in our area right now the best area IMO would be ESTERO, not San Carlos Park or Cape Coral. For the reasons why please search my past posts and read all of the positive reasons. The first and most important as always is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION, everything is close, convenient and kept in first class condition. But if you must have a boat dock in your backyard look in Bonita first, then Cape Coral.

Geri (Izmack) as you stated," I'm sure it's not all rosy down here and that the downsides will become apparent as our newbie-ness wears off - there's always negatives to somewhere - even Paris. In the scheme of things, though, one could much, much worse than Cape Coral, no matter what they say in Fort Myers! " AS YOU STATED IN A PREVIOUS POST.
As I searched your past postings I see that there have been many, many conversations about the negative aspects of the Cape that I had nothing to do with, and you being a new homeowner, you don't want to admit they exist. So your taking it out on me, well if you must, go ahead.
So since you've made settlement how many days have you actually lived here experiencing everyday life. it's gonna take you probably a year or so to get over the honeymoon period of reality. Since your doing the snowbird thing it's probably gonna take longer. Live here for a couple of years and experience SW FL life, then get back to us.
Your situation of working out of your house and your husband being retired is ideal for the area that you purchased your home. You don't have to go out everyday to fight traffic during rush hours. ETC....
Being in the SE Cape so close to the gulf helps with the quality of homes around you since they were most likely in a higher price range than most of Cape Coral, Even though you found one for way under $150,000. Must have been a great foreclosure sale in your favor, great purchase! But what do you mean by "Vanilla neighborhood" as you stated a few times, "You bet! We'll be around until 5/22 and then leave for PA and our other "vanilla" neighborhood." Is this a reference to the moldy white tile roofs in the Cape?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 PM

340 posts, read 1,046,366 times
Hey those houses for 40 Grand are looking pretty appealing to me !!
Tj,
Looks like we are going Boating on Friday the 22nd, Lover's Key. You in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area