U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 AM

1,943 posts, read 7,788,015 times

Advertisements

There are so many pros and cons, and now that i have the mortgage, I need to pick the place. I am so torn.

The Estates I will probably get a newer house, definitely more land, and be in Collier County- where I live now. However, I would prefer not to have well water (anything that happens comes out of my pocket), it's not as accessible to get in and out and everyone is trying to drive on the same road, it is more rural so then I worry about my chidlren having friends, I have noticed tons of huge MAC trucks.....and I worry that the home taxes, once the housing slump turns around, will break me.

San Carlos...homes not as new or nice, much more shadier areas (drove through both spots), more sex offenders listed....but it has more of a neighborhood feel so my kids can make friends, city water, lower taxes, more accessible.

I worry about the offenders, but then in the Estates, whose to say in the near future, when it's built up, they won't have tons of offenders too, and the it would ...

are there any more positives or cons I should know about either area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 08:13 AM

128 posts, read 585,208 times
Hi, I think I would have to go with San Carlos. Sure there are bad parts but thats usually around the rental area just stay away from the areas that make you uncomfortable. Golden Gate if you will remember in the not to distant past is like the front runner in grow houses and thats the danger you can't see and what that element brings to a neighboehood. As you said San Carlos has more of a community fell to it and I think thats what is important for kids now a days to get out and play and make friends not just sit inside and play video games. I don't think it's a very hard decision but Good Luck with which ever you choice.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 AM

172 posts, read 873,532 times
Is there an option 3?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 AM

22,554 posts, read 47,353,816 times
How about Three Oaks in San Carlos?

I lived in San Carlos for years, my husband grew up there, and I still have lots of family in the area. I'm not a big fan, but love Three Oaks!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:36 AM

2,869 posts, read 6,407,863 times
I live in the Estates and before that I lived in GG city--both on well water.

Pros of the well:
-No water bill.
-If you have a generator you can get water in a power outage.
-The water is fine if you put a decent system in (and have a good well). Don't be cheap here.

Cons:
-Purchase and add salt. There are people you can hire for this.
-Clean tank once a month-very easy. Again, you can hire someone. At one point I did and it was worth it.
-One repair bill to the system could easily equal several months bills of city water.

Taxes-I don't know about this one. I would imagine this would be an issue in SCP also.

Kids-there are tons in the Estates. You are right--it is spread out.

Access-depends on how far east and your work location.
To me it is worth the drive to be in the isolated nature of the Estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area