Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I read the article, so I know about the developer's bankruptcy and Denny Grimes selling the homes.

Interesting about the size of the $86,000 townhomes. Did you get a square footage?

And thanks for reporting back!
Yes, I have the complete list. The townhomes ran from $86,000 to $119,000. They lower priced ones are 1129 s.f. and go up to 1386 s.f. Don't get me wrong - the apartment I'm now renting is about 850 s.f. but it's on one level. The townhouses were very narrow. I'm a little confused. For example, the houses selling for $134,000 looked tiny. The sheet says "Living SF" but does not say "under air." The homes looked much smaller to me than 1,600 s.f. The 3 bedroom, for example, had one room without any closet and was about 9 x 10. To me, that's a bonus room. The lots were .17 although I can't find that written anywhere. I had to do some research when I got home and looked up other homes for sale in the community. Still they were very pretty homes. However, as I said before, there are plenty of other bargains on the Cape. I printed out a list of 82 homes from the MLS last night, all under $150,000.

Between the property taxes, insurance and HOA, I don't know how anyone can carry a mortgage. Where I live in Bonita, several people are paying over $8,000 a year in property taxes. My whole street is for sale.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-25-2008 at 02:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM

177 posts, read 257,568 times
Don't misquoate me.I said we probably could have gotten the house for less today,or something to that avail.
It just goes doesn't it,that houses that are currently selling are lower than a few months ago,even in the north.Our house in NE sold for a lot less than it would have at the height of the market.
We sold for less and bought for less.
It would have been the same now.
Cape Coral is in very big trouble as is some parts of Ca.
Yes this is a bad time in our economy.
Renting is a good option.We didn't want to rent.
I hope you have saved wisely.
We did.

P.S/the skyscaper bit,was about our area and how it is still moving ahead.I hope it continues but nothing is certain in life.
Always save for a rainy day.

Last edited by New England Yankee; 03-25-2008 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Closed for temporary Moderator review

Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Default Let's go back to the OP ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Engle Homes went bankrupt and sold the properties to a private equity group for $13.5 million. Now, Denny Grimes and Company is selling the homes at a major discount - just $86,000!

"There have been a lot of sellers discouraged because they think there are no buyers out there. But this has proven that buyers exist if you have the right product at the right price," said Denny Grimes.

http://naplesnews.com/news/2008/mar/...mps-nearly-60/ (broken link)

Good for Denny Grimes. I see he's managed to keep his head above water. I stumbled across something that he said he in the beginning of 2005. He warned that the housing boom wouldn't last, and he's a real estate broker.

And no, I've never met the guy.

Anyway, prices are starting to tumble. The new townhomes are going for $86,000. The article doesn't mention the single family home prices, but I researched it and they are going for $133,000.

I want to re-open this thread. We all have to play nice and get along with each other. Feel free to contact me as your Moderator if there are any problems. We are all adults so lets behave like we are! OKay?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:11 PM

7 posts, read 33,118 times
Default there will be more bargains-many many more

the foreclosures and bankruptcy by builders is just beginning. The banks are the worlds worst property managers and they will hold on and pray some fool buys for way to long then give up and give the property away. There are going to be LOTS of bargains coming up, at MUCH lower prices and we won't see the bottom for a couple of years or longer. Just as everyone could not wait to get in on the ever higher flipper prices going on now people cannot wait to dump their house and move on no matter how much it costs them and the same goes for the banks. the banks are probably much worse RE managers than individuals. I have been through 3 of these drops over the years and it is always the same story.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 PM

27 posts, read 88,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyfarms View Post
the foreclosures and bankruptcy by builders is just beginning. The banks are the worlds worst property managers and they will hold on and pray some fool buys for way to long then give up and give the property away. There are going to be LOTS of bargains coming up, at MUCH lower prices and we won't see the bottom for a couple of years or longer. Just as everyone could not wait to get in on the ever higher flipper prices going on now people cannot wait to dump their house and move on no matter how much it costs them and the same goes for the banks. the banks are probably much worse RE managers than individuals. I have been through 3 of these drops over the years and it is always the same story.

a couple of years???? What are you kidding me? I predict by 2009 the latest! and that's early '09. I agree we won't see the prices come back that were at the peak in 2005, but they can't go much lower than what they are. Are condos going to become cheaper than cars???? Get real.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphro23 View Post
a couple of years???? What are you kidding me? I predict by 2009 the latest! and that's early '09. I agree we won't see the prices come back that were at the peak in 2005, but they can't go much lower than what they are. Are condos going to become cheaper than cars???? Get real.
I spoke to a real estate agent today who told me to wait at least 6 months before buying. She might have another agenda, however. My property manager is very ill and she was just hired by the owner to manager his rentals.

Still, why buy a home just before hurricane season?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I spoke to a real estate agent today who told me to wait at least 6 months before buying. She might have another agenda, however. My property manager is very ill and she was just hired by the owner to manager his rentals.

Still, why buy a home just before hurricane season?
??????? When should you buy homes ?only after nov and before june???

Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
lol. I bought my house July 99 BC-(before Charlie). The insurance companies are affraid now to insure homes in Fl. Shame. In 99 I was paying $600 something per year, now it is over $1700 per year!
BTW, I saw a 4BR/2B on a half acre for $75,000 for sale. Prices are still dropping.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
I might sound silly to you, and I pray for all of us that we have a quiet season, but after a bad couple of storms, people often are willing to drop the price a little just to get the heck out of Dodge (or in their Dodge. lol)

Seriously, I guess if you are heavily insured it doesn't matter, although some repairs after Charley & Wilma took years. When I visited my Dad near Palm Beach a year after they got pounded in 2005, there were still a lot of blue tarps on the rooftops. I don't own now and, although I have some insurance licenses, I know little about property insurance. Is there a waiting period?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area