Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Liberal? Hipster? Fugettaboutit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 PM

179 posts, read 347,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog920 View Post
My fiance and I are in the same boat; similar age range as well with no kids. We've been looking in Cape Coral mainly for pricing of single family homes. Originally we were kind of turned off by CC, but we visited it and ended up enjoying it. It's a good location between Fort Myers and Tampa. It seems quite a bit more reasonable there and still close to Fort Myers. Though, we do love the vibe of Fort Myers.

Check out Cape Harbour in SW Cape Coral. It is it's own mini-downtown. Live music at Fathoms Restaurant and Tiki Bar on Tues and Fri nights from 6-10, and Sunday accoustic 4-7 pm. Tuesday is their most crowded night.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 PM

179 posts, read 347,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingbrooklyn2018 View Post
Thanks! I definitely meant liberal not in the political way, just in the general sense, open and accepting of all types of people and cultures. We don’t offend easy and pretty much keep politics to ourselves even here in New York. It’s more wanting to be in an area that has younger residents vs retirees or snowbirds. We like funky fashion, film, music, etc. and while I know Fort Myers is no Brooklyn, we want to be smart about the neighborhood we choose. Is any neighborhood walkable? With shops, cafes, bars, etc besides downtown? Will check out by the river and downtown, thanks!
Downtown Ft Myers is very walkable. It's just not very big compared to Brooklyn. There are several high rise condos nearby, and more being built, as well as smaller residences near downtown that are within an easy walk. The population is quite a mix there. They have straight, gay, bikers (pedal and motor!), bankers, bakers, artists, and on and on. Live music many nights. Special events, festivals, concerts, you name it. I have no idea about "funky fashion". I haven't looked, but bet there is some there.

I live in Cape Coral, but I am one of those boating nuts. Cape Coral was built for boaters with all its canals and Gulf access. Oh, and Cape Coral just extended their bar hours until 3 a.m. Last call will be 2 a.m. in Ft Myers. We boaters are just crazier in Cape Coral, but we like it that way.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I don't think Lee County has what you're looking for at all. Downtown Ft. Myers is okay it's basically two or three streets and unfortunately it's close to one of the highest crime areas in Ft. Myers. The jobs don't pay well and the ambiance is nothing like New York. I have a feeling you will find it rather boring.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 PM

8 posts, read 11,848 times
Just wondering: what brings you to Fort Myers? It's a great place in its own right, but it may not be a great fit for you.

There are plenty of places in Florida that do fit the bill. I think the Wynwood neighborhood in Miami (for a big city feel) or downtown Delray Beach (for a smaller but very walkable feel with plenty of interesting food/entertainment/drinks) may be a better fit. These are both on the South East coast of Florida (South Florida metro area) and more hipster.

Again, nothing against Fort Myers; I like visiting it quite a bit but I think you'd be hard pressed to find what you're looking for.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingbrooklyn2018 View Post
It’s more wanting to be in an area that has younger residents vs retirees or snowbirds.
This is tough to find in SW Florida. There are lots of retirees and snowbirds. It's culture shock on steroids.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I lived in the Fort Myers-Naples corridor for 10 years. I'm from the Northeast, my dad was born in The Bronx.

Here's what I have to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNrKF1B5bjU

Old 03-26-2018, 06:42 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Hip areas in Ft. Myers ????? lol!! ahh I haven't laughed like that in a long time... you realize SWFL is a retirement community right? Get ready to be bored to tears.. They've dubbed it Fort Misery and right next to it Cape Coma.

The median age for Fort Myers is something like over 40. The median age in Naples is... wait for it.....61...... Downtown Fort Myers is very nearly the heart of some of the highest crime areas in the county. It made the list of one of the most dangerous cities in America more than once. When you're not watching hurricanes from June-Nov you're dealing with the fires that choke the area in smoke from Naples and red tide the other half. Its real paradise

We'll, if you find the "hip" areas let us all know... oh and choose your living area wisely. If its expensive its probably safe.. if its affordable then lock your doors. That's the way Lee county works.. Btw speaking of budget I hope you have a hefty one..

Old 03-26-2018, 08:07 AM

374 posts, read 796,238 times
Like I said, I don’t think you aren’t going to find what your looking for. It is true that the area is the Mecca for old people. It is true that you have to have a hefty budget to live in a safe area. Sometimes the bad areas blurr into the good areas and can be scary. BUT to describe the place as a fiery hell on the verge of getting blown away by a hurricane is ridiculous. It is a very beautiful place to live if you can afford it.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:36 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paradise View Post
Like I said, I don’t think you aren’t going to find what your looking for. It is true that the area is the Mecca for old people. It is true that you have to have a hefty budget to live in a safe area. Sometimes the bad areas blurr into the good areas and can be scary. BUT to describe the place as a fiery hell on the verge of getting blown away by a hurricane is ridiculous. It is a very beautiful place to live if you can afford it.

Well the past hurricane season pretty much proves that wrong.. It was 117 heat index the day we left and like 5 weeks later it was blown to hell by Irma... bet it was super duper fun being without electricity and a/c with the stench of the backed up sewage in the that summer weather... glad we missed it.. we're coming down for family in 3 days and I'm not even looking forward to it. Now we get to contend with constant smoke smell, just like last year. Thankfully we decided to cut our vaca short by 5 days and come back to enjoy our beautiful 60's and 70's we have going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area