Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times

Advertisements

Homestead is extremely unfair to renters. it gives homeowners a cap on increases but rental properties can continue to be reassessed higher and higher. The owners will always pass on the increase to the renters making it harder for renters to find affordable housing and prevent them from being able to save money to become homeowners. The homestead should be done away with except for retired seniors and veterans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 06:14 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Homestead is extremely unfair to renters. it gives homeowners a cap on increases but rental properties can continue to be reassessed higher and higher. The owners will always pass on the increase to the renters making it harder for renters to find affordable housing and prevent them from being able to save money to become homeowners. The homestead should be done away with except for retired seniors and veterans.
Rental properties are raised by 10% while a homeowner gets a 3% cap. The renter will always have to cover the cost of the additional tax amount that is capped at 10%. Rental houses generally have a higher tax bill because it is raised higher than the homeowners home each year.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:28 PM

331 posts, read 452,961 times
I have not made up my mind on the additional Homestead exemption. Of course I am like everyone else who does not want to pay more in taxes. Owned my current home for 7 years and the taxes are still cheaper than where I came from. Most people coming from outside of Florida and that are buying a home realizes the lower taxes period. They are happy and most likely senior and retired.

So if we place another tax exemption on my property, who and how is the difference going to be made up? Local and state taxes and no doubt fees for everything will go up to make up the difference. So will I save a buck today and have to pay 3 bucks tomorrow?

Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron e wheels View Post
I have not made up my mind on the additional Homestead exemption. Of course I am like everyone else who does not want to pay more in taxes. Owned my current home for 7 years and the taxes are still cheaper than where I came from. Most people coming from outside of Florida and that are buying a home realizes the lower taxes period. They are happy and most likely senior and retired.

So if we place another tax exemption on my property, who and how is the difference going to be made up? Local and state taxes and no doubt fees for everything will go up to make up the difference. So will I save a buck today and have to pay 3 bucks tomorrow?
When the UEP water comes through in the areas of Cape Coral that are still with well water. Guess what ? When the new areas get their new pipes that will cost them @25 thousand dollars to put in , that new pipe line will send the value of the home up by 25 thousand. And that will be added to your tax bill. I know. I asked at the tax office . Everyone who gets new water pipes will see a big raise in their taxes.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald8008IE5 View Post
Great point!

I also wouldn't mind a reduction in my property taxes, but the taxes aren't causing me much pain, and I'd rather see Florida spend to preserve our environment.

The clincher for me was looking at Taratova's posting history. If someone like that is for increasing our homestead exemption, it can't be a good thing.
My posting history.. I am a conservative and my taxes are as high as when I lived in NJ. Lee county is loaded with money . Don't kid yourself. Some multi million dollar homes in Lee County are paying 40,000 or better a year. And there are plenty of them.

How about your posting history.. this is a real winner from your posting history below.

Hopefully the deplorables will die first. Ya know, the people that are too stupid to vote.

Last edited by Taratova; 10-23-2018 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Property taxes in FL are about half of that compared to NJ. Plus no state income tax.

Florida's property taxes are about middle of the country in rankings...2% for investment homes is not a lot.

I'm sure everyone in Cape Coral with green slime in their canals would pay more in property taxes if it meant that money would go fixing infrastructure and preventing this from happening again.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:10 PM

191 posts, read 299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

How about your posting history.. this is a real winner from your posting history below.

Hopefully the deplorables will die first. Ya know, the people that are too stupid to vote.

Well isn't he just special. Too stupid to vote eh ? What a brilliant post that was.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM

The Homestead Exemption is explained here.

https://3hxestimator.org/hb3/hb3.php

If your home is valued at 125K or higher the whole exemption will apply.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Property taxes in FL are about half of that compared to NJ. Plus no state income tax.

Florida's property taxes are about middle of the country in rankings...2% for investment homes is not a lot.

I'm sure everyone in Cape Coral with green slime in their canals would pay more in property taxes if it meant that money would go fixing infrastructure and preventing this from happening again.
That money should come from the Federal government. They created it. We shouldn't foot the bill for that green slime. It is the Federal Government and the Army Corp of Engineers who releases the water through the dikes . It is their responsibility and obviously those who represent us in Washington need to fight to get this done right! Lee County has put too much burden on the citizens here.

My new tax bill has now equaled my tax bill in NJ. Plus many people have to pay $25,000 to put in new pipes and sewer as Cape Coral UEP advances to other parts of the city .

Old 11-07-2018, 08:25 AM

The amendment was NOT passed.To pass this amendment it needed 60% of the votes to pass. It got just over 58% This means no property tax cut. Government will grow bigger and our tax burden will keep growing. Those who are on Section 8, free housing wants those tax dollars to fund their needs. The working poor homeowner got the biggest hit by not passing the 25,000 homestead Exemption and the retired people who are on fixed incomes.

Personally I can afford it, but I know others who need a tax break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area