Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,279,887 times

Advertisements

Please don't be offended. I just have a question.

I have been reading that Cape Coral has gotten really bad in the last couple of years and it seems the excuse is " so many people have moved to CC and with that you get more crime".

OK, I must be really ignorant but who is moving to CC and causing the crime? So people move into a community and start breaking into their neighbor's homes and running around with guns doing home invasions? Are they going in looking for decorating tips? LOL

People also say that it is because there aren't good jobs in CC. Well, can't people drive OUT of CC for employment? I drive for 45 minutes to my job.I am willing to bet there aren't "good jobs" on Sanibel but you aren't hearing about home invasions there, now are you?

If I lost my job, I sure wouldn't whine that there are no good jobs here and sit back while I lost my home, I would just take a leap of fate and drive into another city and get a job where there are jobs. Imagine that!

So would anyone like to shed light on who are these "newcomers" who are causing a town to have such problems? There must be a lot of them to cause all of this in just a couple years. Why aren't the "locals" running these "newcomers" out of town?

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 05-02-2008 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,477,661 times
What's up with the arrogance of your post?

If you are even remotely serious, which is doubtful, read the hundreds of posts that answer what you have "asked".

Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Well, I started my post off with "please don't be offended" but I guess that wasn't good enough Sorry you took my post as arrogant.

I am also sorry you didn' think I was serious with my questions. I wonder what compelled you to feel the need to write and "scold" me. If I offended you, why didn't you just ignore my post?

It wasn't meant to be offending. I really want to understand what happened in 2 yrs and who are these newcomers who are performing home invations,etc. I find that troubling.

I happen to live in a state that is horribly effected by this "recession" (Oh I'll probably offend someone by using that word) and people here aren't doing home invations. They are driving to areas where they can work.

I guess it is just me but I can't connect unemployment with home invasions as the only option to pay bills and eat.

Once again, I am sorry you were offended. I honestly wanted to hear who is causing all the problems. What was the industry that was booming in CC before this slump?

I am not dissing the "Locals" of CC, quite the contrary actually. I feel bad for them that this has happened to their wonderful town.I figured they would understand what I was asking and wouldn't be offended by my questions. This is about the "newcomers" and not any longtime residents of CC. The original "locals" that I have met when I rented homes there for vacation were very gracious, friendly and laid back and I woudln't think would mind answering these questions.

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 05-02-2008 at 10:34 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 02:38 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,884,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post

I have been reading that Cape Coral has gotten really bad in the last couple of years and it seems the excuse is " so many people have moved to CC and with that you get more crime".

OK, I must be really ignorant but who is moving to CC and causing the crime? So people move into a community and start breaking into their neighbor's homes and running around with guns doing home invasions? Are they going in looking for decorating tips? LOL

People also say that it is because there aren't good jobs in CC. Well, can't people drive OUT of CC for employment? I drive for 45 minutes to my job.I am willing to bet there aren't "good jobs" on Sanibel but you aren't hearing about home invasions there, now are you?

If I lost my job, I sure wouldn't whine that there are no good jobs here and sit back while I lost my home, I would just take a leap of fate and drive into another city and get a job where there are jobs. Imagine that!

So would anyone like to shed light on who are these "newcomers" who are causing a town to have such problems? There must be a lot of them to cause all of this in just a couple years. Why aren't the "locals" running these "newcomers" out of town?
This said the Criminal division felonies in Lee County are up 61 percent since ‘05.” Also Circuit court cases are up 84 percent.

Lee County starts talking about major budget cuts : Lee County : Naples Daily News

Old 05-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:

It's no secret that those looking for work are having trouble finding it but this guy came up with a new way to find a job! Talk about a leap of fate!
Man's job search leads him to take drastic action | news-press.com | The News-Press (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080503/NEWS0101/805030342/1014/BUSINESS - broken link)

Old 05-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks Firemed! Those were interesting to read. This is just such a shame to learn all this.

Maybe you can answer me what/who is the cause of increased crime? Is it from drugs? To me that makes more sense of an increased of crimes than more population or a poor economy.

I was there in Dec 2005 and I rented a house in the Yacht Club area. I went to the bookstore at about 3pm and at 4pm I came home to find the house had been broken into and my computer was gone along with the owners little mini Bose system.

I knew the person was high because he broke into the pool bath and walked right past my engagement ring and wedding band, over looked 3 ipods on the counter, left the video camera that was charging next to the computer and didn't bother looking in the top door of the bedroom where all the cash was. BUT he took a prescription on the night stand that was called " Acidphex" for heart burn. I guess the word "Acid" attracted him.

It ended up he also broke into 3 other houses in the neighborhood and was found sleeping with our items on the floor. The girl that answered the door to the police was also arrested because she was a wanted purse snatcher.

So as you can see this was druggies, not that anyone had lost a job. So if drugs is what is ruining this are then it really points fingers at the police and the local Government for not nipping this in the rear before it got to this point.

I don't feel for speculators, I feel for the people that have watched all the equity in their homes dry up due to this area failing as it has.

I know the economy has hit everywhere but there are still people with money, there always will be and how can a city attract them when they are showing crime jumping like it is. That is the #1 reason why I would not select Cape Coral and luckily for me I am a medical professional and so the economy doesn't effect me. So I could move there and let a realtor get commission, a boat dealer would sell a boat and the gardener would get another monthly job, and a job for the pool service,etc. Then my taxes, gas, groceries,etc. Then multiply me X how many others are ready to retire or just want to relocate, etc. it could help an area. Maybe not save it but it could help.

But as soon as the word "home invasion" is spotted, I am running in the opposite direction.

I am still considering CC but I have to investigate more. I just am turned off when I am trying to find the truth about an area and a transplant to CC attacks me for asking a question. So I do thank you for taking the time to shed some light for me.

You are very kind

Old 05-03-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks Firemed! Those were interesting to read. This is just such a shame to learn all this.

Maybe you can answer me what/who is the cause of increased crime? Is it from drugs? To me that makes more sense of an increased of crimes than more population or a poor economy.

I was there in Dec 2005 and I rented a house in the Yacht Club area. I went to the bookstore at about 3pm and at 4pm I came home to find the house had been broken into and my computer was gone along with the owners little mini Bose system.

I knew the person was high because he broke into the pool bath and walked right past my engagement ring and wedding band, over looked 3 ipods on the counter, left the video camera that was charging next to the computer and didn't bother looking in the top door of the bedroom where all the cash was. BUT he took a prescription on the night stand that was called " Acidphex" for heart burn. I guess the word "Acid" attracted him.

It ended up he also broke into 3 other houses in the neighborhood and was found sleeping with our items on the floor. The girl that answered the door to the police was also arrested because she was a wanted purse snatcher.

So as you can see this was druggies, not that anyone had lost a job. So if drugs is what is ruining this are then it really points fingers at the police and the local Government for not nipping this in the rear before it got to this point.

I don't feel for speculators, I feel for the people that have watched all the equity in their homes dry up due to this area failing as it has.

I know the economy has hit everywhere but there are still people with money, there always will be and how can a city attract them when they are showing crime jumping like it is. That is the #1 reason why I would not select Cape Coral and luckily for me I am a medical professional and so the economy doesn't effect me. So I could move there and let a realtor get commission, a boat dealer would sell a boat and the gardener would get another monthly job, and a job for the pool service,etc. Then my taxes, gas, groceries,etc. Then multiply me X how many others are ready to retire or just want to relocate, etc. it could help an area. Maybe not save it but it could help.

But as soon as the word "home invasion" is spotted, I am running in the opposite direction.

I am still considering CC but I have to investigate more. I just am turned off when I am trying to find the truth about an area and a transplant to CC attacks me for asking a question. So I do thank you for taking the time to shed some light for me.

You are very kind
Cape Coral has some nice areas but I think it just got too big too fast. The City can't cover what it has.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Firemed,
Do you live in CC? What's your prognosis?

There was a house I was looking at on SW 4th Ter, what is that area like now?

I am thinking of trying to get down there for about 10 days and just look over the area and then check out a few other areas while I am at it.

I'd rather visit again and see what I think NOW then move there and have regrets. You know?

My other option is Arizonia. Sedona/Scottsdale/Gilbert are what I have that area narrowed down to. But I would choose SWFL as my first choice as long as I don't have to be on high alert everyday.

Thanks again

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM

553 posts, read 1,929,593 times
Jenny I am sure you will find plenty of people that have not expierienced any crime. It is not as bad as some would lead you to believe. I have friends and family there and they report no such activity. sw section. There are drugs everywhere , I know folks in arizona and there are drugs there also, friends in Tennessee drugs there too. There will be crap areas no matter where you go. crime could be rising, I think it is going up everywhere. bad economical times will do it. also with more people crime goes up no matter what. It is just the law of averages. more people more of a chance of a bad egg amongst them. Go down and stay there like you said . You probably will not expierience anything bad. Crap the way the country is going you could stop at mcdonalds anywhere in the us and get shot just for eating lunch.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:30 PM

NY62~

Oh I know you are right, there are drugs and bad eggs everywhere. It is just such a shame, really it is.

I read that there are 22 police positions that aren't being filled in order to cut the budget. Now just who is making these brilliant decisions? Crime up and they cut 22 police positions?

I will plan my trip to Florida to look around. I have a feeling in the long run I will end up in Arizona. I've taken 10 trips to AZ since 2005 and I stay for about 3 weeks at a time so I am pretty familiar with it at this point. I know they too have issues but Sedona and Gilbert are really safe so I am leaning that way.

Gilbert actually has water front properties. They ahve canals like Cape Coral. They have a great master planned community and have a police force that is proactive. I think that is important. They don't have any low income apartments,etc.

They also don't have the home invasions. So that is a HUGE plus. I have never owned a gun and at this stage I don't want to have to buy one incase I have visitors with masks on visit me at 6am.

Sad state that this country is in now and I am sad what is being reported about CC

Thanks again for your input. I really want to hear everything I can about the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area