Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 07:15 AM

24 posts, read 24,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I don't see one planned unless some sort of catastrophic event happens again like COVID. There is zero evidence of slow down in SW FL/SE FL or FL in general for 2022. If anything, prices will climb another 10%, especially in SW FL. Perhaps a slow down in rentals/investments in Miami but that's about it. SW FL has always been very undervalued and word finally got out. Now Naples is just as expensive as Miami, whether its rentals or single family homes. Naples has cheaper condos that are not in bad areas like Miami has.

FED is raising interest rates about .25 in March I just heard. That will hurt buying power a little, but won't do a whole lot. If anything it'll help curb inflation.
dead wrong, 25 basis points is totally useless, a joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 07:35 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_m_roun View Post
dead wrong, 25 basis points is totally useless, a joke
25 basis points, 4 times in a year though? That's the plan.

Keep in mind most of the 'inflation' is just corporate greed. Many of these companies are having record profits and doing stock buy-backs. Oil companies, Kroger, Wal-mart, etc. They aren't 'passing on the increased costs', they are raising prices while making more money. Sickening really. Shell Oil is the worst offender - said no more Russian oil then bought Russian oil at a huge discount but will keep charging $4/gal at their stations across the U.S. I already don't buy gas there because I prefer my RaceTrac but still, just corporate greed at the end of the day.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:10 AM

24 posts, read 24,708 times
dead wrong..100 basis point over one year of 2022 is also a joke and patently ineffective with the pace of inflation at this point - that's nibbling at inflation over a 12 month trajectory

most of the inflation is due to a ripple effect due to the velocity of money and a thing called "expectation", not corporate greed - when goods and services being shipped using oil/gas and that gas/oil is in an interruption phase/availability, the effect can be dramatic, even snowball. Greed has very little to do with it from the outset. Greed certainly can compound inflation for sure, but this is NOT price gouging in the traditional sense.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:52 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
I don't see one planned unless some sort of catastrophic event happens again like COVID. There is zero evidence of slow down in SW FL/SE FL or FL in general for 2022. If anything, prices will climb another 10%, especially in SW FL. Perhaps a slow down in rentals/investments in Miami but that's about it. SW FL has always been very undervalued and word finally got out. Now Naples is just as expensive as Miami, whether its rentals or single family homes. Naples has cheaper condos that are not in bad areas like Miami has.

FED is raising interest rates about .25 in March I just heard. That will hurt buying power a little, but won't do a whole lot. If anything it'll help curb inflation.
A large and more powerful hurricane than Irma would do that.

If Irma had not crashed into Cuba and was a large, 150mph storm into SEFL the economic and human suffering would have been severe. Just like had it got stronger when back over the Gulf and scraped SWFL as 135mph up to Tampa would have wrecked the entire area for a lot of years. Think of a modern day Hurricane Donna into SWFL but just a tad stronger and about 10-15 more miles west in track.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_m_roun View Post

most of the inflation is due to a ripple effect due to the velocity of money and a thing called "expectation", not corporate greed - when goods and services being shipped using oil/gas and that gas/oil is in an interruption phase/availability, the effect can be dramatic, even snowball. Greed has very little to do with it from the outset. Greed certainly can compound inflation for sure, but this is NOT price gouging in the traditional sense.
Disagree whole heartedly - look at the corporate buy backs and CEO bonuses for 2021 when 'inflation' took notice. Profits are at all time highs, thus gouging. If companies were 'struggling' to stay open and had to raise prices for fear of going out of business, that's a different story and would be reflected in their 2021 P&Ls/Balance sheets. But that is not the case. Perhaps some small businesses like mom & pop restaurants raised prices for that reason, but if Kroger jacked up their food prices to them just to enrich themselves and turn record profits, then its Kroger squeezing out the mom & pop restaurants which force them to raise prices which then affects people like us who dine there. We see the increased price at Olive Garden or Duffys and scream 'inflation' or 'damn this administration' without actually looking at the hard data.

Regarding gas prices - they were in the low to mid $3s all of 2021 so that doesn't explain the constant increase in prices of food & other items throughout the year.

Regarding car prices - PURE greed - don't even get me started on dealers in SFL charing $10k over for a Yukon with a 'lottery' system or Cape Coral Kia charging $15k over for a Telluride. Supply and Demand? Sure, but also gouging and greed when you can find another dealer further away and get it for sticker or slightly over. (we got a new car at end of 2021, we paid under sticker, it just took several days of calling and negotiating with dealers all over Florida until we found one in Clearwater and had it delivered!)

Old 03-15-2022, 10:44 AM

200 posts, read 157,192 times
anyone who pays over sticker is totally stupid imho, just like thinking a 350k house in 2021 is a great buy in mid 2020 for 625k lol - I'm laughing

Old 03-16-2022, 09:10 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
Regarding car prices - PURE greed - don't even get me started on dealers in SFL charing $10k over for a Yukon with a 'lottery' system or Cape Coral Kia charging $15k over for a Telluride. Supply and Demand? Sure, but also gouging and greed when you can find another dealer further away and get it for sticker or slightly over. (we got a new car at end of 2021, we paid under sticker, it just took several days of calling and negotiating with dealers all over Florida until we found one in Clearwater and had it delivered!)
THIS!

I bought a 2022 Tucson Hybrid in January for about $2500 over MSRP but at least it came with stuff normally sold at an additional cost to the customer in F&I. While just appearance and paint protection stuff which I don't normally buy, the products beat paying for pure air. Still, I had to wait about 4-5 weeks for the car to finally arrive at the dealership before I could take delivery.

I have seen dealers charge well over $10K for vehicles, especially trucks and midsize or crossover SUVs. The Telluride is also extremely popular. With gas prices high now, I cannot imagine getting my hybrid even at $2.5K over MSRP.

While not as dangerous as an upside-down home loan, if these consumers want to trade in their $90K Yukon with three years left on their 84-month loan, they are going to be in for a rude surprise when it comes to negative equity.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:08 AM

200 posts, read 157,192 times
ha ha

I don't pay over MSRP on ANY car, even though in FL it's legal to charge anything they wish, but consumers have to use a little smarts, but they don't - obviously so

Old 03-24-2022, 09:44 PM

122 posts, read 201,313 times
Quote:
Disagree whole heartedly - look at the corporate buy backs and CEO bonuses for 2021 when 'inflation' took notice. Profits are at all time highs, thus gouging. If companies were 'struggling' to stay open and had to raise prices for fear of going out of business, that's a different story and would be reflected in their 2021 P&Ls/Balance sheets. But that is not the case. Perhaps some small businesses like mom & pop restaurants raised prices for that reason, but if Kroger jacked up their food prices to them just to enrich themselves and turn record profits, then its Kroger squeezing out the mom & pop restaurants which force them to raise prices which then affects people like us who dine there. We see the increased price at Olive Garden or Duffys and scream 'inflation' or 'damn this administration' without actually looking at the hard data.

Regarding gas prices - they were in the low to mid $3s all of 2021 so that doesn't explain the constant increase in prices of food & other items throughout the year.

I'm 100% sure you voted for Biden and Harris. It's always everybody else's fault, not the failed policies domestic and foreign with no solution to fix it from this current administration.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
I'm 100% sure you voted for Biden and Harris. It's always everybody else's fault, not the failed policies domestic and foreign with no solution to fix it from this current administration.
Good Reply.

It was the current administration to blame last year for the insane car prices. Their first 6 months in office caused it

Keep letting the corporations off the hook and let TV hypnotize you.

or Hop on Etrade, get an account, read some Financial statements and see what's going on first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area