Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:07 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm here a lot...

I'll be happy to go back to NY where I can get sushi for lunch. I'm in Naples right now and I went on a long search for sushi and couldn't find a single place open for lunch in the summer. Can't wait to go back to NYC where not only can I get good services year round, but I can get them late at night too lol

The folks I have met here from NY ALL miss it and want to go back. I noticed your from Queens.

A couple down the block from me was from Bayside queens. His company transfered him here both have been here 4 yrs both miserable.
He was telling me he might just leave the co as they cant do another yr here his wife has become very depressed they seem to really love Queens/Bayside .

Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Thanks for the information on the sushi restaurant. I'll stop by there within the next couple days for lunch...

Well, I was raised on Long Island. I've lived in Queens for the past year for work. Most of my family is from the city though. My parents relocated to Naples because of my dad's job. They don't like it here and want to be back on Long Island, but they have to wait until retirement in a few years.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 PM

19 posts, read 47,686 times
Whippersnapper, just saw your post about being hired by the State. What do you do? I'm an admin/sales support type and am moving into the area around the first of '09. Another question: what is the mil rate for home owners?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:54 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information on the sushi restaurant. I'll stop by there within the next couple days for lunch...

Well, I was raised on Long Island. I've lived in Queens for the past year for work. Most of my family is from the city though. My parents relocated to Naples because of my dad's job. They don't like it here and want to be back on Long Island, but they have to wait until retirement in a few years.
Did you try China Tokyo in the Target plaza at Pine Ridge and Airport?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:59 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidale View Post
Whippersnapper, just saw your post about being hired by the State. What do you do? I'm an admin/sales support type and am moving into the area around the first of '09. Another question: what is the mil rate for home owners?
Mil rates:

County 3.3337
School-state 2.7860
School-local 2.5650
Dependent (not sure what that means) .6912
Water Management.4814
Independent special (Fire Dept.) .9923
Voter approved debt .2154

Total 11.0650

This can vary depending on which fire district you live in and if you are inside the city limits (Naples, Marco Island, or Everglades City).

Old 07-19-2008, 04:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Did you try China Tokyo in the Target plaza at Pine Ridge and Airport?

I ended up going to Sushi Thai by recommendation from someone earlier in the thread. It was a little expensive, but still good. I got my sushi fix

Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times
i have lived in florida all my life if you hate it that bad by all means go back i love florida i would love living near fort myers the beaches are great they are not the carribean for sure there as nice as any in the state exept jupiter island very nice

Old 07-19-2008, 04:44 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Great post. It was a good read. Very visual..........LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
This is the heart of the matter imo. There used to be a concept of nice housing that was modest in normal neighborhoods. Even in Florida. There were entire communities of small single houses that people took pride in and were happy in without extensive square footage. Frequently they had two bedrooms and were not in need of more.

Not anymore. Everyone wants to have 2600 sq feet with gated communities, or pools, or 4 bedrooms, cathedral ceilings with dead space and spa bathrooms. Several bathrooms.

I agree that there are houses in areas that aren't in bad neighborhoods. But also the modest neighborhoods are having problems now. All these neighborhoods that used to be the modest ones are a mess now sporadically off and on in every town I've driven through over here on the east coast in the south part. You can see 2 good blocks then 3 bad messed up blocks. Maybe that's why people are flocking to HOA communities I don't know. Maybe the people took equity out and now cant afford maintenance but that doesn't account for having trashy outside properties.

They are junked up with crap outside, cars up on blocks, fake carports people put up with metal rods and canvas canopies , ugly furniture sitting right outside like old sofas and plastic chairs, overflowing trashcans and bags sitting out....toys everywhere etc.....

Which is really ironic since those people seem to be the ones who need the housing but wont take care of it. I don't know if it's that way in your area but it is over here on the east coast towards the south anyway...

I relocated to Vero Beach, which is supposed to be considered an "upscale" safe town. I'm renting and do NOT want any big house I've downsized and dont want the aggravation. Can't find a small house anywhere because the neighborhoods with small houses are a mess now. I'm a fan of the old school Florida ranch houses, smallish with a small lot. These were the norm in the 50,s, 60,s and 70's. Cute and friendly neighborhoods, that people took care of. My father lived in such a house since the 60's including duplexes which NOW, a duplex is like the kiss of death over here, you're guaranteed to have messy neighbors. I even flew down to see one in Ft Lauderdale for rent in an area I was looking for and found a MATTRESS out on the front porch standing up and trash outside.

I really don't know what to say about it, it's just like the realtors say on TV, the public insists on big bathrooms with room for multiple sinks and soaking tubs, huge kitchens and stupid 13 foot cathedral ceilings, a waste of energy. Just look at the furniture, the arms are so oversized you can't fit them in doorways.

Living within one's means is a concept of before the 80's....thanks to President Reagan and the yuppy boom of bigger and expensive is better.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:48 PM

Thank you. I would not decide on a living location because it had a damn beach.

Quote:
You know, actually there are some people who are inclined to like a place even if there aren't beaches. Not all people love beaches

Old 07-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Finally, someone has seen REAL BEACHES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
14 years in the state on BOTH coasts. Been to the beach 8 or 9 times. Could care less about the beach. I went to the beach in Cape Cod and Maine many times more than here. I will say the beaches on the EAST coast of Florida are pretty nice. I love them from Melbourne to Vero Beach. Nice aqua colored water, white sand. The beaches over here are UGGGLLLLYYY. Brown water, little dinky10 inch waves... Florida does have some nice beaches, but so do the New England states, or NC, and SC. I didn't move here in 1995 for the beaches anyways, I came for a change in scenery, and new adventures. I'm all over that now, so I decided I am going home. I will miss a few things about here still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area