Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM

46 posts, read 243,145 times

Advertisements

We are closing on a house in San Carlos Park on 12/4. We are moving from Texas to be closer to family. We are retired so jobs are not an issue but I am getting depressed reading everything on this board. We love our lives here but family is calling. Please, someone say something positive about living in the area. Surely there are some good things about living in Ft. Myers. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Great winter weather, world class beaches, beautiful sunsets, no shortage of shopping, plenty of medical facilities, decent boating/fishing, thats just off the top of my head.......
If you can enjoy a leisurely lifestyle, without having to work a full time job, you should find yourself content here.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Yachtcare. All that negativity being posted was getting me depressed over the move and making me second guess whether or not we were making the right decision. I guess we will get as much out of it as we are willing to put into it. Looking forward to learning new areas and celebrating Christmas in Florida.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:03 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,569 times
My husband and I just moved here 2 months ago from Maryland. We love it!
The people here are really nice. I had believed that customer service didn't exist anymore. From grocery stores, retail stores to utility companys, I have had all pleasantly surprised experiences.
We laugh about it now, but when we first got here we were taken aback by all the politeness and manners. I know we had weird looks on our faces because we were thinking "ok, what do they want?"
I know the "in season" is approaching, but traffic to us is mild here.
We love the quick access to beaches, tons of shopping to choose from.
My husband and I both work full time jobs but we still enjoy it here as if we were on vacation!
Good luck and welcome to Florida.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Do not get depressed. You are moving here with income and a place to live. Those two things alone put you in good shape.

What are you looking for? Expectations?

What does your family think of the area?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM

83 posts, read 310,728 times
You are closer to the beach! Thats it! LOL

Old 11-07-2008, 02:40 AM

Default Thanks for the encouragement

Taglyn, thanks for the welcome. It is good to hear the people are friendly....I have gotten used to that in Florida.

Rmd, it's not expectations....just concerned about what I have been reading on the posts here about how depressing the area is. My family of course won't tell me the truth because they are too excited about me finally living near them but they seem to be fairly happy. They have been there about 20 years though so have seen a lot of changes.

Looking forward to new explorations when we get settled over there.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 AM

72 posts, read 224,539 times
This is one of the best areas I have ever lived. I look at my family who live up north and they are all overweight, .. and I am not. I believe it is because we can get out and be active almost everyday of our life. That is very important to me.
Almost everyday I wake the sun is shining... I believe that makes people happier.
The people are great, and there are a lot of organizations you can join to meet them.
The depression you speak of is in every state... these are hard times for everyone no matter where you live.
I believe you will be happy living closer to family esp. during these times.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Thanks Helpless

I tend to agree with you on the people up north being overweight as that was me before we moved to Texas. And you are right...people seem happier down south and I too think it is because the sun shines so much...you can't help but smile.

So now it is time for me to start planning for my new adventure.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:56 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times
I live in San Carlos- just moved into it from Naples this past May. Work in Naples. The drive isn't great, but not too bad....YET. Once in-season hits I am dreading it.

The San Carlos area has a neighborhood feel which I like. However, within living here for 5 months......someone has been trespassing onto my property, committing vandalism and theft by stealing or breaking some of my solar lights that I have lining up my driveway. Tried to make a police report to be told unless I am involving my insurance company for reimbursement-which I am not, that it is not a felony and they won't do anything about it, especially without suspects. So then I have just been calling the police and documenting it. We have had to replace the lights on about 6 different occasions. We tried to sit in our garage and spy between the stealing time frame...but of course nothing happened on those nights. So then we spent $170 dollars on a security camera just a couple of days ago. Nothing has happened yet, but we are ready for it to! We haven't made enemies, we don't know anyone yet, so this isn't retailation for anything.

Just to let you know that no matter how nice something looks......there is going to be crime/stupid people everywhere.

I do have to say that what I like the best is the convienance. Everything is close, without making me feel like I am in a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area