Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,023 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=4]Hi we are a family of 4 (+dog) that will be relocating to Ft. Myers in March 2009. My daughter is in the 1st grade and my son is 3. Can anyone suggest schools that are good in the area and what areas and schools to stay a way from? I really want them to go into great schools, as do most parents. I have found list of schools, but not any recommendations on them. Thank you for you help!

Fllovers!
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 PM

128 posts, read 648,157 times
First off a couple of questions. Where will you be working and will you be renting or buying. I like the Villas area, our kids went to Villas Elem. and had no problems and the area is central to everything. You can view the area at Google maps and enter Woodland Blvd. Fort Myers Fl. 33907 and the school is 8385 Beacon Blvd. Fort Myers Fl. 33907. Again I am partial to the Villas area because of the central location to everything and it has rentals and some good deals on homes and is still a pretty quiet neighborhood. Good Luck, but the biggest thing is having a job before you get here there are not too many available right now.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,023 times
My husband will be working what I guess is down town Ft. Myers. I work from home so that part is covered. We will probably rent at first just to make sure we like the neighborhood. We lived in a nice house in MD, but the neighborhood was not so friendly. So we really want to make sure before we buy this time around. Thank you for the information on the villas, I will check them out.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:31 PM

66 posts, read 216,546 times
We live in the NW Cape and the West zone of Lee County schools seems fine - my daughter attends one in the zone. Lee County Schools website will tell you the zones and the Florida rating (A,B,C,D, or F) for each school. You can enroll children in schools with openings within the zone - and since we enrolled in the summer we had more choice but even then some were already full.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 AM

35 posts, read 120,243 times
I can speak from personal experience Edison park elementary is absolutely great, however, it is very difficult to get into. The school system is split up into zones, stay away from North Fort Myers, and East Zone anything east of I-75. The school system in florida and public education sucks in Florida. I would caution you to seriously consider your choice in moving to Florida. I have been here for six years, and I regret moving my family here. We have a high concentration of pedophiles, and sexual predators, anytime anyone in the nation is on the run, they always seem to end up in Florida. Florida is not built around young families, everything here is built around old rich people, that have the attitude of why should I have to pay taxes here I put my kids through school up north. So just my two cents, seriously consider your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fllovers View Post
[SIZE=4]Hi we are a family of 4 (+dog) that will be relocating to Ft. Myers in March 2009. My daughter is in the 1st grade and my son is 3. Can anyone suggest schools that are good in the area and what areas and schools to stay a way from? I really want them to go into great schools, as do most parents. I have found list of schools, but not any recommendations on them. Thank you for you help![/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Fllovers![/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM

135 posts, read 407,824 times
Gateway is a nice area, and the charter school is very good. The schools in Florida are not all that great...and even the private schools aren't all they claim to be. We also moved here not long age, and we miss our old school so very much! GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,115 times
I would say avoid the charter schools in the area all together if you can, my children have been attending them for about 3 years now, and have had HORRIBLE experiences with it. There have been several times that I have had to call the principle about things the teachers are saying to the kids in my sons classes, not to mention that safety seems to be an issue at the charter schools. I would recommend homeschooling if you have the means to do so, schools in this area are not so good (we have done the public schools also for 3 years before the charter school).. the schools all seem to be behind the national norm.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:09 AM

515 posts, read 1,590,052 times
Whatever you do, when looking to buy a home here in Ft Myers ask everyone what the extra fees are in the neighborhood!!!!!!!!! Most fee's range in the 300 to 500 dollar range monthly. Even the non gated 'hood's have fee's, usually older ones have a lot lower fee's. Mine is only $70 a month.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 13,415 times
You probably have already visited the leeschools.net/home.asp website. It gives ratings for all schools. Lee county is divided in zones and depending on space availability, you can select any school in the zone in which you live. I work in the East Zone and although do not have children in school have heard positive comments with regard to the schools in this zone. Gateway charter schools, elementary and high school also receive good marks. Check out Olympia Pointe for your new home. Great location to shopping and schools. Great prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area