Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 AM

681 posts, read 877,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjune2009 View Post
HomeStager, another super post. Thank you.

Wall Street Journal, 6.3.2009 reported that based on NewsInferno :

Punta Gorda Isles has Chinese dry walls in: Magdalena Gardens and in Luxury Vivante Condominium Complex

Boca Lago has Chinese dry wall in Vivante Complex

Tests have been done. Pretty sad situation!

This is a very good post. Maybe a buyer lucks out and sees this thread before his/her children fall victims of greed.
Sam, Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:02 PM

57 posts, read 75,152 times
Wall Street Journal, Michael Corkey reports on 4.17.2009:

Total U.S. dry wall use between 2004-2007:
137 BILLION square feet of which only
309 million square was imported from China, a very small fraction

A very small but fatal fraction which was mostly ordered for Florida.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 AM

"Construction companies which have used Chinese dry walls:
Lennar Homes
U.S. Homes
Taylor Morrison
Meritage Homes
WCI
Ryland Homes
Standard Pacific Homes
Transeastern "

Source: April. 21. 2009, New Homes Section Blog www.newhomessection.com)
www.chinesedrywallcomplaintcenter.com
www.newsinferno.com

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM

282 posts, read 1,005,073 times
Is there anywhere you can report that a house has chinese drywall? The house that we looked at that has it is still for sale and they are not disclosing to people that it has it. I am afraid an unsuspecting buyer is going to fall into that mess.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
Is there anywhere you can report that a house has chinese drywall? The house that we looked at that has it is still for sale and they are not disclosing to people that it has it. I am afraid an unsuspecting buyer is going to fall into that mess.
How about:
www.ChineseDryWallComplaintCenter.com
Which belongs to America's Consumer Watch Dog

Angelala, thank you that you care for your fellow human being!

Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 PM

64 posts, read 78,951 times
Interesting to read websites of law firms involved in Chinese dry wall class action law suits. Law firms have received complaints from:

Florida (majority)
Alabama
Virginia
Louisiana
South Carolina
North Carolina
California
Nevada
and
Canada

Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 PM

KNAUF/Germany is now at the center of several law suits.

"The media is putting a China-bashing slant on this piece of news. While it’s true that China has a tendency to produce inferior or toxic products, the Knauf drywall case illustrates a much bigger issue. A western (German) manufacturer has toxic drywall made in China, but avoids taking responsibility for the quality of the product. Money-hungry American builders buy the stuff in bulk and create instant suburbs, but don’t claim responsibility for QAing the materials they buy. Home-hungry Americans flock into reasonably-priced homes without a second thought regarding the safety and integrity of the structures.
This isn’t a China issue, it’s an everyone issue. This is what happens when manufacturers and builders rush their processes in order to squeeze out maximal profits. Once again, we’re paying retroactively for a communal lack of foresight."
http://www.businesspundit.com/knauf-...in-us-history/

Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,688,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samjune2009 View Post
This isn’t a China issue, it’s an everyone issue. This is what happens when manufacturers and builders rush their processes in order to squeeze out maximal profits. Once again, we’re paying retroactively for a communal lack of foresight."
Knauf Drywall Fiasco “Biggest Home Defect Case in US History” | Business Pundit

A good point! And not to change the subject too radically....At the time, I recall pointing out to several, and have mentioned it here on this forum as well, that the houses were being slapped up so rapidly, that the inspectors were looking the other way on many issues. My thoughts always return to the many cracked slabs I saw, before the block was even placed on the foundation because the ground wasnt allowed to settle properly before pouring the slab. In about another five years I suspect many houses will be found to be developing severe problems with the foundations and slabs that they are built upon.

Will SW Florida become the "love canal" of the 21st century?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:18 PM

473 posts, read 1,162,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

What a scary statement. Are you from up here in WNY?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
A good point! And not to change the subject too radically....At the time, I recall pointing out to several, and have mentioned it here on this forum as well, that the houses were being slapped up so rapidly, that the inspectors were looking the other way on many issues. My thoughts always return to the many cracked slabs I saw, before the block was even placed on the foundation because the ground wasnt allowed to settle properly before pouring the slab. In about another five years I suspect many houses will be found to be developing severe problems with the foundations and slabs that they are built upon.

yachtcare, Your conscious writes. Thank you!
I hope this thread will not go off subject by personal attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area