Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 02:20 PM

282 posts, read 1,008,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
So you recently purchased it and nobody mentioned the CDW issue to you?

Did you have a traditional home inspection done?

I'm trying to determine if contaminated homes are being passed off to the unsuspecting.

Again, I'm sorry I can't answer your original question:
"Not sure if I should get an attorney that will handle my individual case or get an attorney that is currently in a class action lawsuit."
Yes, I totally believe they are being passed off to the unsuspecting. I tracked one for months until it sold. The listing agent specifically told us that the house "did not have chinese drywall" but we knew what to look for and it was soooo obvious right from walking in the front door that it did have it. From the smell to everything copper in the house was matte black. I was told that it was up to the buyer to have inspections done. I have a previous post telling about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
Yes, I totally believe they are being passed off to the unsuspecting. I tracked one for months until it sold. The listing agent specifically told us that the house "did not have chinese drywall" but we knew what to look for and it was soooo obvious right from walking in the front door that it did have it. From the smell to everything copper in the house was matte black. I was told that it was up to the buyer to have inspections done. I have a previous post telling about it.
I do too, now.
The article below is about investors picking up contaminated homes and "re-mediating" them. It sounds like some of the investers in the article intend to hold the properties for a while. I can only assume that they will be renting them to people who don't know the history of the home.
House smells due to Chinese drywall? Not a problem, say some investors » Naples Daily News

I posted this article in a thread on the Sarasota forum. No one seems too interested in the subject up there.
Are Investers Flipping Chinese Drywall Homes?

And yes, I read your previous posts about the one you were tracking, Angelala

Last edited by tommy-105; 10-15-2009 at 03:55 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
tonight on abc's nightline they will be doing a story on cdw

Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I do too, now.
The article below is about investors picking up contaminated homes and "re-mediating" them. It sounds like some of the investers in the article intend to hold the properties for a while. I can only assume that they will be renting them to people who don't know the history of the home.
House smells due to Chinese drywall? Not a problem, say some investors » Naples Daily News
That's crazy. If the media really pays attention to this problem, these homes are gonna be worthless once the average citizen is aware of this mess. Isn't the cost to replace it like $100,000 per home? At least that's the average that Lennar has in their reserves for the 500 homes they are replacing.

The only thing that can save this mess is a Government bailout, which I think it's overdue. If we can save the banks, we can save the thousands of victims. 10 billion dollars should cover the 100k homes that they think have defective Chinese Drywall.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:17 AM

317 posts, read 772,311 times
Yea, Princess. Another worthless government bailout is just what this country needs!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
Yea, Princess. Another worthless government bailout is just what this country needs!
I have a different definition of the word "worthy" These people didn't see this coming and if no one is gonna be held accountable then the federal government needs to step in before more people become sick or lose their homes until the money can be recovered. Or should we just ignore the problem that affects 100,000 homes? This is not China, but we are starting to look like them.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM

The companies that built these homes, the drywall manufacturers, and the home insurers should be held responsible. Not the government.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
The companies that built these homes, the drywall manufacturers, and the home insurers should be held responsible. Not the government.
Yes, but litigation can take years. In the meantime there are human beings stuck there inhaling sulfur fumes because they can't afford to pay 2 mortgages. Should we just let them get sick and possibly suffer long term damage? Some of these companies will go bankrupt and there will be no way to recover that money.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Yes, but litigation can take years. In the meantime there are human beings stuck there inhaling sulfur fumes because they can't afford to pay 2 mortgages. Should we just let them get sick and possibly suffer long term damage? Some of these companies will go bankrupt and there will be no way to recover that money.
Agreed, The gov't needs to step in quickly and provide relief to homeowners. Litigation similar to this could take 20 yrs from the start of the problem. There was a similar situation back in the 90's when builders were using this special plastic for plumbing in houses and buildings. The problem was the chlorine in the water was making all these pipes bust and leak. People are now just getting paid from lawsuits from a problem that started back in the 90's!!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 AM

Lots of people suffer from events that they "didn't see coming" every single day... is it the federal governments responsibility to clean up those messes too? The idea that there is no personal responsibility for the homebuilders, the drywall suppliers, or home insurers is mind boggling. While I understand that litigation can take years, $10 billion dollars from the federal government is not the answer.

Additionally, FEMA has been asked to provide places for families dealing with chinese drywall to live. Personally, if I were dealing with a drywall issue, I'd take the FEMA housing over a massive government bailout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area