U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2009, 05:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,758,363 times
Please keep this thread on topic or it will be closed and infractions issued. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,490 times
Angry are you thinking about Cape Coral, FL

Hi!

I have a bad attitude about SW FL to begin with. So take this with a grain of salt.

I came to Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area 30 yrs. ago for work from central Indiana. This was when Daniels Rd., you know. the Rd. that you take to the Internation Airport was just a dirt rd. to no where. South 41 was just 4 lanes. To catch a passenger plane out of Ft. Myers, you went to Page Field. The bridge to Ft. Myers Beach was a Swing Bridge not a High Rise.

Had a couple jobs before being hired by the CC Planning Dept. as a statistician under the Fed. Gov. CETA program. Only worked there for 6 yrs.

In land area the Cape is 110+ sq. miles. And the city is still annexing. Even though they can barely handle what they have.

I purchased a small house 18 yrs. ago in 1 of the areas first developed, called Nobility Park. The house is 30 yrs. old. They built them small and cheap back then. It's a work in progress. Have had to do extensive repairs over the years. A few yrs. after I moved in, I found out the roof soffets were made out of 1/2 inch cardboard. 3 rooms were on the same ele. curcuit. And other things. I'm sure things have improved. But not sure. You know, popcorn paint and stucco cover up a lot of imperfections. If you have money, you can move into 1 of the nicer neighborhoods. But paint & stucco are still there. Well, most every one can find a silver lining somewhere!

30 yrs ago all of the Parkways were residential, even Del Prado. Which is all commercial now. The same thing will happen to all of the other Pkwys.
They are all zoned mixed use, residential/commercial.

If you think that you can get on any of east, west streets to get across town. Think again. There are only 5 streets that will get you across town. The rest of the streets are blocked by over 100 miles of canals (no bridges).

If you come here for a visit and think that the traffic is bad. Remember this, the city is only 1/4 built out.

In a few years after the economy picks up, Lee co. will start the construction of connecting Del Prado with I-75. Once this is done, the intersection of Del Prado and Pine Island Road will be the only intersection in the city where a driver can choose 1 of 2 direct routes to I-75. All other roads will be feeder streets to this intersection.

Hywy 78, otherwise known as Bayshore in N. Ft. Myers and Pine Island Rd. through Cape Coral to Pine Island. Runs from FL 31, under I-75, across old 41 , across new 41 and further west.

4 or 5 yrs. ago Cape Coral developed a Pine Island Road Corridor Master Plan. The Zoning catagory C1 used to be the highest development designation. Corridor is now the highest designation. Until this economic slump the Corridor was popping. Within 3 blocks of the Pine Island/Del Prado intersection there are now the following. Lowe's Hardware, Out Back, Olive Garden, Publix, Super Target, DQ Grill, Central Cape Business Park, BJ's, Lee Memorial Med. Office, Mel's Dinner and many more.

Residential areas. Northwest section. Between Burnt Store RD. & Charlotte Harbor. The area goes right up to the mangroves. The land there is only about 4 ft. above the water. Anything above that is more than likely fill dirt. The SW section is very similar. Drive it and keep your eyes open. You'll see. Looks really nice during good weather.

You think your gas bill up north is high during the winter. Wait till you see your electric bill down here. Remember, you'll be running a/c 9 months out of the yr. Also remember this, we don't have a lot of those mild summer days that you can drive around with your windows down.

The last thing. Those green lawns that you see. The water that is used is from the sewerage plants mixed with canal water classified as fresh water verses canal water that is salt water. And it is rationed! When you get caught watering when you are not supposed to water. You get Fined.

Take Care!

Last edited by fallcreekbuff; 05-24-2009 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 03:08 AM

191 posts, read 388,131 times
I went to cape coral and Forth Meyers last month to buy a house.

I just want to say before I forget that your perception of the Cape or Florida in general is all relative.

I see a trend here of so many from COLD weather states who say its Great COMPAIRED to where I was.

Well thats the key I feel. If you hate the cold, than sure the cape is alot better.
If you hate the price of houses in NY than sure the Cape Coral looks great right now.

If you love to fish and go to the beach, and cant where you live now, than again You may love the Cape.

For me. I am in San Diego. I left the cold 15 yrs ago. I know what it means to live in Paridise. I just cant afford a big new house with a pool here.

Anyway bottom line for me was that I felt like I was on another planet. It was very flat COMPAIRED to california. VERY humid and rainy at times. I never saw a blue sky the whole week I was there. I was pretty disappointed. I couldnt open my window and feel a breeze . The Homes are AMAZING. They are beautiful and HUGE. But there are few trees. It was so desolate. On some streets there were tons of forclosures. Like some nuclear bomb just hit it. Pills of dirt and condtruction that just was sitting all around. The ciry itself looked old and run down to me. I kept looking for what I saw in the pictures and it wasnt there. It looked really barron. I did like the NE and NW side better. It was more private and not as built up and has some nice roads for biking or walking. But it was far from everything and there was no everything anyway. To me there was very little to do again COMPAIRED to San Diego and what I am used to. I didnt see kids playing at parks or people walking dogs. It just seemed so weird to me. I am sure if I wanted to I could have made a life their as I could anywhere but was it what really felt right to make me happy. NO. I need more energy, more industry, a more dynamic viberant city. The crime issue bothered me. The water assesment issue did as well. I questioned if my son would be happy in a place that has so many problems. Yes its a great value as far as size and newness and warm weather and maybe gulf access but for me It wasnt worth leaving California for even if I cant buy a house right where I am.

Point is ................its all relative.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 14,710 times
Hi I agree with the other posters. I have traveled around the country and with the exception of a few quaint cities, I prefer Cape Coral!!!

PS- I have 2 children currently attending the Cape Coral Charter School System , which is excellent! We actually switched from a private school to attend the City Charter Schools here in the Cape ( not Cape Coral Charter School ( it is privately run) - the actual city charter schools are named Oasis and Christa McAuliffe)

Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 14,710 times
PPS-

re: firsttimeowner
That must have been a fluke week, as the rain usually tends to come and go. Blue skies are mostly a daily occurrence- been here 31 years.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM

49 posts, read 95,604 times
What area in the Cape is safe? Looking into moving to the area.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:13 AM

10 posts, read 19,429 times
Why is the SW areas of Cape Coral better than the NW part? What sets them apart? We are thinking about relocating from Indiana this Fall to Cape Coral or Naples. My husband has a BS in landscape management and more than 20 years experience. The company he worked for up here went out of business last August and now he's working at Lowe's. We consistently see positions all over Florida for landscape management opportunities but they require a Florida driver's license to apply. Are there truly landscape jobs and/or is there a market if we opened our own landscape business? We also have a high school student and are concerned about the schools. Can someone answer these questions with reliable and educated answers please - I really don't want opinions, I'm looking for factual answers.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,240,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren514 View Post
Why is the SW areas of Cape Coral better than the NW part? What sets them apart? We are thinking about relocating from Indiana this Fall to Cape Coral or Naples. My husband has a BS in landscape management and more than 20 years experience. The company he worked for up here went out of business last August and now he's working at Lowe's. We consistently see positions all over Florida for landscape management opportunities but they require a Florida driver's license to apply. Are there truly landscape jobs and/or is there a market if we opened our own landscape business? We also have a high school student and are concerned about the schools. Can someone answer these questions with reliable and educated answers please - I really don't want opinions, I'm looking for factual answers.
a lot of why one part of the cape is better than the others is mostly opinion but some facts trafalgar and oasis elementary and middle school and high school in sw consistently score better than the mariner school in the nw. the nw is only about 30% built up where as the sw is more like 75%. the sw is a better commuter location to fort myers and the busier parts of cape coral than the nw. the sw in large has already had city water and sewer installed where the nw is virtually 100% well and septic. there is less commerce in the nw as far as home depots, walmarts, publix etc so farther drive (about 5 to 8 miles ) to these places. because it is less built up there is less landscaping done and a lot more empty lots. With all that said the nw will get built up, businesses will move in, trees will grow, utilities will be installed, and it will look pretty identical to all the other parts of the cape in time, it does have good gulf access via matlacha pass, close to punta gorda airport which gives direct flights to many regional airports, has some really nice parks, I bought properties in each section.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM

9,610 posts, read 2,844,515 times
I just bought a home in the NE part of Cape Coral. Snowbird here..

SE and NE is closer to North Fort Myers and Fort Myers .The SW and NW is farther from these areas. Pine Island Road which divides South Cape Coral from North Cape Coral has the newest stores... Lowes , Target.. etc..

I prefer the NE because of location but everyone has their own reason where to locate. Not as built up in the NE.. yet I see many people walking dogs in my neigborhood. It is quiet and everyone is friendly.

It is true the NE and NW does not have the landscaping appeal the SE and SW areas have.The solution, everyone plant some trees and they will grow. The North is newly developed and water will be installed soon to this area .

Old 06-19-2009, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 19,429 times
Default Perception is Everything

In many ways the fact that the North parts are not built up could certainly be an advantage for my landscaping husband especially if we end up having our own business. I am concerned about the schools, but also concerned about noise, traffic, etc. You certainly make good points and I appreciate your input. We plan to make a trip down and look at homes in all areas before making any offers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area