U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,806,253 times

Advertisements

Someone I "met" on another website asked me if I wanted to buy her house, and I asked if it was on a canal, as that's what we're looking for. She said no, and added that she would NEVER live on a canal, as when it rains all the gators and snakes come up and try to get in your house to get out of the rising waters!! Is this true???? I HATE snakes!! I won't really have snakes in my house will I??? Gators I can put up with, at least you can see them coming. Usually. I'll just keep my two little dogs away from the water's edge, but SNAKES???? eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!: eek:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,926,318 times
I don't see why you'd rather have harmless snakes than life threatening, man-eating gators. Florida has a lot of snakes, but the majority of them are completely harmless.

It would be unusual to get snakes inside your home. They are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Well I'm glad to hear that. i don't know WHY I have this irrational fear of snakes, I just do. I have a recurring nightmare where I'm standing in thigh high water and there's snakes swimming at me on top of the water and all I have to ward them off is a bucket.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,283,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Well I'm glad to hear that. i don't know WHY I have this irrational fear of snakes, I just do. I have a recurring nightmare where I'm standing in thigh high water and there's snakes swimming at me on top of the water and all I have to ward them off is a bucket.

Dr Freud would have a field day with this thread......

Most of my time here in Cape Coral has been spent living on canals. Never had a problem with snakes. And gators, well, never saw one in a canal. Frankly dont know how they would negotiate their way up a concrete seawall anyhow. Rats on the other hand, use the seawall caps, as sort of a highway for themselves, but if you keep your yard groomed, they arent any problem either.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:17 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,907,763 times
Don't worry about the snakes! They are not going to get you. They are scared of you.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,819,402 times
HaHaHa..I had to laugh. There are snakes and gators where ever you go around here. Actually, they generally do not like the canals like you would find in PGI-they are too salty. Not that you would never see any in the canals around there but not very likely.

You will however find more gators and snakes in the canals that are more brackish-salt and fresh mixed together. Almost every golf course has gators in the ponds/lakes, etc.

Most of the snakes in Florida are not poisonous. There are three types of rattlers, the cottonmouth, copperhead and coral snake the are poisonous. The three types that spend time in the water are the cottonmouth, Pygmy rattler and Coral Snake and again it's mostly brackish water. The other type of snakes usually like a more wooded environment, which is not what you will find in PGI. Again, not to say you can't find them there but not as likely as areas that have a lot of scrub palmetto, etc. You won't find one of the species of rattlers around here-The Canebrake-they are only in north Florida. The Copperhead are extremely rare in Florida. Often times the Coral Snake is mistaken for the Scarlett King Snake, which is not venomous and more prevalent than the Coral Snake.

Here's a web page that lists them so you know what they look like and their habitat:
Wildlife Viewing - Species Spotlight - Florida's Venomous Snakes

Quote:

Someone I "met" on another website asked me if I wanted to buy her house, and I asked if it was on a canal, as that's what we're looking for. She said no, and added that she would NEVER live on a canal, as when it rains all the gators and snakes come up and try to get in your house to get out of the rising waters!! Is this true???? I HATE snakes!! I won't really have snakes in my house will I??? Gators I can put up with, at least you can see them coming. Usually. I'll just keep my two little dogs away from the water's edge, but SNAKES???? eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!: eek:

Last edited by SoFLGal; 01-16-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Thank you!! I feel better now. Although I really hate rats too.
In case anyone wants to analyze my dreams further, I also have a recurring one where I'm trying to get somewhere, but I can't because of all the SNOW! Gee....I wonder where THAT comes from????
I was going to go to town today, bank, grocery store, and most importantly LIQUOR STORE, but mr.cool tried to start my truck for me and it just laughed at him. So I guess I'm stuck in the house today.
mrs.cool

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Thank you!! I feel better now. Although I really hate rats too.
Life is good at the top of the food chain
You do know, your snakes will EAT your rats..Then the Hawks get the snakes, and some more rats....Nature, it's a wonderous thing
Just hope nobody mentions the black widows....oooops, DOH! Dont worry, the zillions of lizards take care of them...
Florida is filled with creepy crawlies, but then again where ever you live now is also, they're just different types, and they balance each other out. Having a gator in your yard is kinda the same as having a squirrel in your attic up north. It happens, but rarely. And when it does, you have the problem taken care of, and move on. Nothing to be overly concerned with.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Ya know, there are rattlers in Wisconsin too, and we live on 60 acres of woods, but yet I've never seen a rattler! So I guess it's all relative, right?
I kinda like the lizards. :-)

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
and most importantly LIQUOR STORE,
Are you sure this doesnt have something to do with the dreams?
(You know I'm just funnin' wit ya, right?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area