Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,975 times

Advertisements

OK, all great information. Thank you ALL. So, next question. Within the confines of Golden Gate Estates. I have been searching for posting and maybe, yes maybe I'm being naive and maybe it's because we don't use the same terminology here but what on earth are "grow houses" - are they pot growing areas??? I know, go ahead, laugh it up. LOL

IN the same subdivision and yes, I realize it's enormous. Are there better areas than others? I keep hearing about wildfires which having lived in FL before, I always was aware of them but we didn't get them as much on the ocean side.

The taxes don't scare me, they aren't that much more than similar properties and land here in our area which is about 45 mins outside of Philly. So yeah, if ya'll have been watching the news and you get our stuff down that way, crime in Philly is out of control. We are number one now for ugly people and crime... woohoo! LOL (Disclaimer: I'm not originally from here and neither is my fiance) LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
Yes, vacant houses, utilized to grow pot, with sun lamps, etc. Cops have gotten savvy, and bust 'em pretty quick when the local electric utility notifies them of large consumption of wattage. Was/Is a problem in Cape Coral and Lehigh, wasnt aware of the problem in Collier.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
Grow houses: Grow House Busts : Naples Daily News

All areas are about the same. GGE was developed west to east so the western part tends to have the older homes. The further west you are the price tends to increase as that is where the services are. That is a general statement, and these homes are no better or worse than others. If you get an idiot neighbor, well, that is the same as anywhere else.

Brushfires-That is a risk you take living out here. You can help by keeping the area around your house free of dead brush. It is still a risk though.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,949 times
I'd rather have grow houses as opposed to crack houses or meth labs

Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Ok, good stuff. Thanks to ALL. I figured that the brush fires might be an issue on this side of the state, it's awfull dry and yes for sure, I'd be keeping all dead brush picked up and probably have minimal trees around my home - that might be thinking to the extreme but you get the point LOL

thanks again!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I'd rather have grow houses as opposed to crack houses or meth labs
I had to laugh upon reading this - yeah I agree, pot can't blow up LOL

although, I don't want to be neighbors with a bunch of potheads either.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM

136 posts, read 417,856 times
Good info here. My husband & I are coming down to Naples 1st week of April. We have a dozen houses to look at and possibly will put a bid in on one if we fall in love with it. We are also from PA and have had it with winters (husbands a mason) and also unemployment, taxes, etc are all comparable to Naples. So were going to try & venture to the warmer climate.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,757,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hi my fantastic City Data Folks,

I'm being a bit premature here, but there is a 50 / 50 chance that we will move to Florida. For me I'm moving BACK to FL (I'm originally from Cocoa Beach) and my fiance would be moving there for a job. My question, I'm seeing such fantastic home prices all over from Naples to Estero, etc.
Hi Andrea ~ Although I can't answer your questions as I'm asking plenty myself, I just had to chuckle reading your geographic history and future plans.

DH and I used to live in Hatboro. When I was a child I lived in Satellite Beach, FL, as you know, right next to Cocoa Beach. On top of that, we're researching the Naples area for a future real estate purchase. Small world!

Best of luck with your plans!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Hi Andrea ~ Although I can't answer your questions as I'm asking plenty myself, I just had to chuckle reading your geographic history and future plans.

DH and I used to live in Hatboro. When I was a child I lived in Satellite Beach, FL, as you know, right next to Cocoa Beach. On top of that, we're researching the Naples area for a future real estate purchase. Small world!

Best of luck with your plans!
Wow! I know Satellite Beach! I had friends there (although these days i cannot remember exactly where they lived LOL) That's so awesome though that we have been around the same places. Maybe we know each other! It's definitely a small world. Feel free to shoot me a private message. I'd love to chat... I have another new acquaintance on here too, JLAWR (hello!) has a very similar scenario as ours. It sure would be nice if this all panned out and we end up back down in FL but you know, these days you have to be a realist and not get your hopes up. I'm excited about the possibility but haven't started packing (not yet anyway HAHA). Good to hear from you and like I said, feel free to shoot me a message. I'm anxiously waiting for JLAWR to head down in April and then give me some good info when they come back....

Old 03-10-2009, 11:42 AM

136 posts, read 417,856 times
I hope to post great news also, lol! We currently live in Pennsburg, PA. We lived in Lansdale for a few years before that. Definitely a small world.
And even though we have the house for sale up here, no bids as of yet. I have thrown some things in boxes, , maybe a little premature, but makes me feel a little bit closer to our goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area