U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM

5,077 posts, read 13,064,100 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does Florida have inspections and emission testing? Just curious... thanks in advance for all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:17 PM

8 posts, read 91,598 times
My husband and I moved from Maryland and we are now living in Florida. We didnt have to have our vehicle inspected or any emmissions testing. Thank goodness that we were able to have our vehicles titled here in Florida since we do live down here now.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM

633 posts, read 801,784 times
Some Fl. counties had emmissions testing some years back but Hillsborough and others discontinued it. There isn't any inspections and as far as I know none ever existed.

IMO Fl. sorely needs both. Fl. could also benefit from better and proper enforcement of their motor vehicle laws, from a safety stand-point and to help fund the state budget. In those regards Fl. isn't quite third world but surely a healthy two and a half!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,406,104 times
Florida had vehicle inspections until the 80s. It was a joke. Inspection stations were large steel sheds that were set up like a drive through. You never got out of your car. The guy checked your lights and a few other things, you paid up, got your sticker, and drove on.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Florida had vehicle inspections until the 80s. It was a joke. Inspection stations were large steel sheds that were set up like a drive through. You never got out of your car. The guy checked your lights and a few other things, you paid up, got your sticker, and drove on.
OMG, I couldnt remember from all of my years as a child living there but then when you said this I remembered! LOL Too funny.... well you know I think everyone probably has their own opinions of to do inspection or not to do them. I know for us personally, we take immaculate care of our vehicles but I do agree that some vehicles should not be on the road and probably are not safe / road worthy. Here in PA they do both inspections and emission and yes, sometimes our garage is very stringent with what they consider passable, but then again, I think this way, they have to secure their reputations and ability to do inspections and you know, if you need brakes or lights aren't working properly, those are really important things and without the inspections what are the odds you would take the initiative to make repairs? Just my own thoughts of course..... but I have to admit, if our plans work out and we get to move down again, I'll look forward to saving some money each year NOT having to do inspections.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,906,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Hi,

Does Florida have inspections and emission testing? Just curious... thanks in advance for all responses.
No. Even the pumps at the gas stations have the old style nozzles that release fumes into the air. When I lived in NH I remember there was some kind of "boot" on the nozzle and that was back in 1994.

I have never been required to get my automobile inspected, and I've lived in FL for 14 years. I remember once when I lived in MA or NH, I was told during my inspection that I needed new struts. I was upset because I couldn't get a sticker, so I went to the dealer and learned my car didn't have struts. IIRC I still had to pay for a second inspection in order to get my sticker. The whole thing was a scam IMHO.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 PM

136 posts, read 374,842 times

Wow, no emissions or inspection, crazy. I love the idea of saving the money (currently in PA) but even if we get down there, we still would continue with our every few month check ups & fluid changes. Better safe than sorry!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawr View Post

Wow, no emissions or inspection, crazy. I love the idea of saving the money (currently in PA) but even if we get down there, we still would continue with our every few month check ups & fluid changes. Better safe than sorry!

I agree! Can you imagine though? I mean we just downsized but this is only temporary, we usually have between 3 - 5 cars between two people LOL (my SO loves to tinker) but he's also a real car person,he keeps his vehicles immaculate mechanically and physically whether they be old or new. Like, if I heard my brakes start to squeel, obviously yeah, you want to look for all the major safety stuff on your car and the routine maintenance.
We could stand to save a lot of money each year with no inspections or emissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area