Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 04:17 PM

198 posts, read 479,841 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can any one here recommend some type of screening system for our front and mud room doors here in FL. It seems that many FL exterior doors open outward. I can understand that an inward opening door can be an issue during a hurricane.
Here in new England most doors open inward thus allowing for a storm/screen door. At times we like having the outside air circulating through the house.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:49 PM

917 posts, read 2,603,836 times
Default Fresh air

Hi Brian,
The building codes require exterior doors to open out in most cases.
My old house in the Cape had outward opening double front doors and large sliders in the rear that opened into the pool cage. To take advantage of the nice breezes on the Cape during the cooler seasons, I screened in the front porch area and installed the screen door there. It took me a day to do and around $150 to $200 in materials.It might not have done much for curb appeal, but with the double doors open, a whole lot of air passed through the house.
Hope this helps,
Tom

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/tommy-105/Agualinda.jpg (broken link)

An alternative would be a retractable screen that rolls up off to the side. I can't remember the brand name but I've seen them at the larger Home Depots.
Hope this helps,
Tom

Old 06-20-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Tom. We were looking at the type of setup you installed, but the other half wasn't really keen about it.
You did a great job on yours. I thought it would be custom type installation that although handy, I don't think I would attempt it. Especially the areas where there are arches. We are not ruling this out.
After my previous post I did find the retractable screen you suggested, Phantom makes a good one. This may be more of what we are looking for.
We enjoy the fresh air blowing through the house even though it may be hot at times.
Thanks.
Brian

Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,690,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsme View Post
We enjoy the fresh air blowing through the house even though it may be hot at times.
Just a thought, FWIW. The heat isnt necessarily a problem, but the humid breezes can blow mold and mildew spores thru your home along with them if you practice this ventilation method during the summer months......

Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 AM

917 posts, read 2,603,836 times
Thanks Brian, I was very happy with the way mine came out. To bend the track for the arch, I had to cut multiple cuts in it with a chop saw (which were later covered with caulk). I probably should have mentioned that I'm a carpenter and had all the right tools for the job.
We rejected going with the roll up screen due to how often the door was used and the fact that we had dogs and a kid. We didn't think it would hold up to the abuse.

I see that Lowe's carries the Phantom screen and even installs it.
Good luck with it,
Tom

Old 06-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Yachtcare,
Thanks for the heads up on the potential mold/mildew concern. We have much to learn about the FL climate, etc. We will be spending very little time there in the near future, but it is nice to know what can happen if the doors/windows are left opened for an extended time.
Tom,
It's just the two of us and we won't be opening and closing the retractable door that much, but the idea if a screened in area is nice for us because it also gives us the New England "Front Porch" feel.
We'll see.
Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area