Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 AM

5 posts, read 12,252 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'd like to thank all of the contributors to this forum - we began our search for a vacation place about 1 1/2 months ago, and this is site has proven helpful with our adventure.

I found a local realtor who is helping us find our new place. We're looking for 2 bed/2bath villa/townhome/condo with a garage. Hoping to spend around 150,000. We'd like to be 15-20 minute drive from a beach and have shopping near us. There are so many units on the market, and I've gotten help here with some of the developments to avoid.

Here's my question - I asked our realtor if she could let me know which developments to stay away from (those that are known financial messes especially) and she said legally she couldn't do that. Being from Minnesota, I'm not familiar with Florida law, but it sounds to me like I need to find a new realtor. Is there some kind of realty law that prohibits this, or is she just not working for me?

Thanks,
Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:52 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthudin View Post
First of all, I'd like to thank all of the contributors to this forum - we began our search for a vacation place about 1 1/2 months ago, and this is site has proven helpful with our adventure.

I found a local realtor who is helping us find our new place. We're looking for 2 bed/2bath villa/townhome/condo with a garage. Hoping to spend around 150,000. We'd like to be 15-20 minute drive from a beach and have shopping near us. There are so many units on the market, and I've gotten help here with some of the developments to avoid.

Here's my question - I asked our realtor if she could let me know which developments to stay away from (those that are known financial messes especially) and she said legally she couldn't do that. Being from Minnesota, I'm not familiar with Florida law, but it sounds to me like I need to find a new realtor. Is there some kind of realty law that prohibits this, or is she just not working for me?

Thanks,
Kim
Actually it is against federal law to "steer" someone away or to areas to live, although that is more for race and religion. If you were asking about the status of the HOA, that is one thing but if you meant the residents, that would be crossing the line. In any case your Realtor was smart not to get into such a discussion at all. At least you know that she is honest enough follow the rules, sounds like a keeper.

You should look into the financial health of the HOA that you are considering buying into but you should be getting this information yourself and not expect it from your Realtor. They should help you get to the right person to ask but you need to understand what the information means to you and not ask your Realtor to be a financial expert.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
I think you are being very smart by looking into the financial status of the condo or HOA association. A recent article I read stated that banks are starting to look into what financial reserves are there before making a loan. Many HOA's and condo assoc. have little or no reserves, which is legal, but not a good financial model to buy into.

There shouldn't be any law prohibiting a realtor from getting that information for a potential buyer, it is vitally important and in the buyers best interests.
It is not "steering" at all, that is ludicrous. Get a better realtor who wants to work for you.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:29 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Realtor can say what areas fit what you are looking for so long as the criteria aren't based on discriminatory factors. As far as specific properties, however; they LEGALLY can't provide the property history, but the smart ones can advise you to do extra research.

Personally, I always google the address I am going to be living at, and any other addresses proximal to it and read what events have been worth being reported there. Sometimes you have to go to the local news sites to get the 'good' stuff, but it's always interesting.

Something I have done differently this time is I actually talked to neighbors before making an offer. While not perfect, you get a good feeling of who the people around you are going to be.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
i think you are being very smart by looking into the financial status of the condo or hoa association. A recent article i read stated that banks are starting to look into what financial reserves are there before making a loan. Many hoa's and condo assoc. Have little or no reserves, which is legal, but not a good financial model to buy into.

There shouldn't be any law prohibiting a realtor from getting that information for a potential buyer, it is vitally important and in the buyers best interests.
It is not "steering" at all, that is ludicrous. Get a better realtor who wants to work for you.

rif

Old 07-15-2009, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 12,252 times
Default Thanks -

Thanks for your input - It will be easier to make decisions when we come and spend some more time in the area.
Later,
Kim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area