Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:01 AM

57 posts, read 167,841 times

Advertisements

ok im going to give full details of our situation to see if i can receive a clearer answer to the towns there.
We started to look in Cape Coral but recently changed our minds due to areas. Then we start looking at Naples and certain zip codes have burglaries and murders above the national avg.
So!
Here is what I have and what we are looking for.
I would like to see if someone could direct me to a town that is nice and affordable that is not separated by these comments of well its nice 7 blocks down but not crossing this street. We dont work like that here in NJ. If there is a bad town we just dont live there only scumbags do.
I understand obviously that the more money we have the better quality of living. But im still in college finishing my grad degree but would like to buy my first home for my children before they get to old to enjoy a dog and a yard.

So i would like to buy in a rural area near some towns within 10 minutes drive. I would like to keep it under 100k with 3 bedrooms and some land if possible. I see this is possible in Naples but then again like i said im lost with this hole dont go this way or that way because its bad. I looked at a home on 14th st even Pine cone lane and the avg murder rate was higher than the national avg. How is this possible ? What are the murders from in such a low population?
I thought it was all seniors in SW florida?
Is there any other areas that are affordable yet still nice left?

The house Im looking at currently falls in 14th street NE Naples. What is the opinion of this area?

Also I work in Social Service and my wife works as a manager in restaurants.
My kids are in elementary school.

Last edited by nj593; 08-17-2009 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj593 View Post
would like to buy my first home for my children before they get to old to enjoy a dog and a yard.
Been there. So has another poster.

Just b/c it is cheap, doesn't mean it is good or worth moving children too. That's basically my feelings on SWFL.

We spent about 2 years looking for a home. The other poster, I believe she mentioned it taking 3 yrs. Neither of us settled in SWFL though we did rent there and work there.

Have you looked at North Port?

Unfortunately, Cape Coral is a pretty good idea of what you will get for the $$ you are speaking of.....

And to be very blunt, if neither of you secure employment prior to the move, you could be looking at losing everything you have....

There are jobs in SWFL. There are affordable homes in SWFL. It will probably take some time to get both. It's not impossible but it's not easy. Be smart. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:24 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
I would like to see if someone could direct me to a town that is nice and affordable that is not separated by these comments of well its nice 7 blocks down but not crossing this street. We dont work like that here in NJ. If there is a bad town we just dont live there only scumbags do.

SW Florida and NJ are two entirely separate worlds. If you expect anything to be like it is in NJ, you're barking up the wrong tree.

You'll see familiar "national" chains, as far as fast food, some major retail outlets, etc. But there is very little else that will be "culturally" recognisable here, vs. there. Neighborhoods here are like the weather here. It can be bright and sunny where you are, while three blocks over, they just had three inches of rainfall in the past twenty minutes.

"We dont work like that in NJ" reminds me of a bumper sticker that is often seen here. It reads..."We dont care how you did it up north". And the other one that has variations on a theme. In your case it would state.."If you love NJ, take I 95 north".

Not trying to be nasty or offensive, but I will reiterate what 121 says.....if you do not have employment lined up BEFORE you arrive, financial ruin is more likely than success in this area today. Please be careful.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
I agree with both of the last 2 posts whole heartedly. They are 110% right all the way, could not be said any better. No job here lined up before coming to "the promised land" is financial suicide, because there is about nothing. Both my wife, and my mother have been looking for work for over 6 months, and they have applied EVERYWHERE.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM

We both have transfers that we can make with our current companies thats not a problem. Its just the security of the areas. It seems that Florida is so different in neighborhoods. I see people claim how this part of town is ok but 3 blocks it isnt. Bad people do walk and can walk 3 blocks over
So Im just saying for all the crap we take for being from NJ it is great is comparison then. But we want to move somewhere warm. I cant stand the cold winters hence Florida.
I cant stop to believe that this has to be wrong. I have been there a million times over and have not seen half the crap though portrayed by statistics and even board members here. Or is it vacation blindness?
Either way jobs are lined up so what areas are nice?
thanks again guys and gals
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I agree with both of the last 2 posts whole heartedly. They are 110% right all the way, could not be said any better. No job here lined up before coming to "the promised land" is financial suicide, because there is about nothing. Both my wife, and my mother have been looking for work for over 6 months, and they have applied EVERYWHERE.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:43 PM

340 posts, read 1,045,929 times
Isn't that out in the Estates? Well water ? Long commutes to work

Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMunch View Post
Isn't that out in the Estates? Well water ? Long commutes to work
Yes if you are speaking of 14th st. Yes its in something called golden gates estates with well and septic. I read that the burglary rate is high in that area but wasnt sure.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:51 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Where are your transfers to? South Fort Myers off McGregor is a good area Actually the whole length of McGregor is good. Cape Coral in the Pelican Blvd area is where I was, great area. Where I am not is crap(Fort Myers off Metro by Colonial).

Vacation blindness can be a factor in this, I had it, moved here, HATE the high heat with a passion, but survived so far. I know a couple who moved here from NJ, they live right above me in my building. The husband is asking himself why he came here, he didn't realize how hot it is, and how he really doesn't like Fort Myers now after living here. The wife is on the fence about it, but she has family here so.....

All I can say is come on down, you won't know if it is for you until you come here for 6+months. A week or 2 in FL on vacation is not a real dose of what FL is like as a resident. 14 years 5 months and 14 days later for me. Ready to finally leave for good. We can trade?!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
We both have transfers that we can make with our current companies thats not a problem. Its just the security of the areas. It seems that Florida is so different in neighborhoods. I see people claim how this part of town is ok but 3 blocks it isnt. Bad people do walk and can walk 3 blocks over
So Im just saying for all the crap we take for being from NJ it is great is comparison then. But we want to move somewhere warm. I cant stand the cold winters hence Florida.
I cant stop to believe that this has to be wrong. I have been there a million times over and have not seen half the crap though portrayed by statistics and even board members here. Or is it vacation blindness?
Either way jobs are lined up so what areas are nice?
thanks again guys and gals
If you have secure jobs lined up, great & good luck!

As for the "vacation blindness"...ever been to the "Bahamas" and then, the Bahamas? The disparity is amazing. EVERY area has its bad areas..SWFL just has a whole lot of them. I think most people suffer from "vacation blindness". I know I have at times. And many times, those who can move down to SWFL to retire or snowbird are not living in the general population and can pick cream of the crop areas based on saved income. Sort of like vacationing in the Bahamas versus actually living there. When you are on vacation, the sheets are clean, the hallways are vacummed, and the food is made for you When you have to work, life is just a little different.

Hope you guys find a good area & best of luck.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:09 PM

64 posts, read 79,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
SW Florida and NJ are two entirely separate worlds. If you expect anything to be like it is in NJ, you're barking up the wrong tree.

You'll see familiar "national" chains, as far as fast food, some major retail outlets, etc. But there is very little else that will be "culturally" recognisable here, vs. there. Neighborhoods here are like the weather here. It can be bright and sunny where you are, while three blocks over, they just had three inches of rainfall in the past twenty minutes.

"We dont work like that in NJ" reminds me of a bumper sticker that is often seen here. It reads..."We dont care how you did it up north". And the other one that has variations on a theme. In your case it would state.."If you love NJ, take I 95 north".

Not trying to be nasty or offensive, but I will reiterate what 121 says.....if you do not have employment lined up BEFORE you arrive, financial ruin is more likely than success in this area today. Please be careful.
Yachtcare, not tired of positive spinners yet?

Only in one year (Aug.2008 - Aug.2009), the population of Florida has fallen by 58 000.
Only in one year (Aug.2008 - Aug. 2009), the population of Lee County has fallen by 8601
Source: news-press

Home value trends between Sept. 2007 - Sept.13. 2009
U.S. -20.7 %
Florida -36.7 %
Lee C. -46.5 %
Cape Coral -49.7%
33914 Zip -50.1%

Source: Zillow

Less growth, less population, less demand, closing businesses, etc. a downward spiral.

Now, "deflation" is feared. NEW condos in a beautiful setting are only sold for $70000. source: news-press.

Too bad for all speculators who are buying with the illusion that prices will go up. Speculators have no idea that construction companies are always one step ahead in grabbing buyers with new design and products.

Many people want to leave and are just waiting for speculators to buy their old homes. In this sense, I hope many homes get sold so that old folks can get out. With their money, now, they can afford to live in better new places, away from contaminated homes with Chinese Dry Walls in their neighborhoods.

Last edited by aidaolympia; 08-17-2009 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area