Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,271 times

Advertisements

Hello

I AM A 32 YEAR OLD EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGIST/ PERSONAL TRAINER. I MOSTLY WORK WITH ATHLETES (ESPECIALLY GOLFERS) AND OLDER ADULTS TRYING TO KEEP THEIR INDEPENDENCE. I HAVE BEEN TO SOUTHWEST FLORIDA 3 TIMES AND ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I NOTICED THERE WERE A LOT MORE WELLNESS CENTERS AND PERSONAL TRAINING STUDIOS WHERE I LIVE IN PHILLY. I HAD PLANNED ON OFFERING NUTRITION ,YOGA, PILATIES, EGOSCUE (AN AMAZING PAIN RELIEF METHOD) AEROBICS CLASSES, AND PERSONAL TRAINING FOR EVERYONE. I FIGURED WITH SUCH AN ACTIVE POPULATION ANDTHE HIGH NUMBER OF GOLFERS ,TENNIS PLAYERS AND THE WHOLE BEACH CULTURE A PERSONAL TRAINING STUDIO/ WELLNESS CENTER WOULD REALLY THRIVE THERE. YOUR THOUGHTS ON THAT PLEASE. WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS? WOULD NAPLES BE MY BEST BET IN SWF? WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyers View Post
Hello

I AM A 32 YEAR OLD EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGIST/ PERSONAL TRAINER. I MOSTLY WORK WITH ATHLETES (ESPECIALLY GOLFERS) AND OLDER ADULTS TRYING TO KEEP THEIR INDEPENDENCE. I HAVE BEEN TO SOUTHWEST FLORIDA 3 TIMES AND ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I NOTICED THERE WERE A LOT MORE WELLNESS CENTERS AND PERSONAL TRAINING STUDIOS WHERE I LIVE IN PHILLY. I HAD PLANNED ON OFFERING NUTRITION ,YOGA, PILATIES, EGOSCUE (AN AMAZING PAIN RELIEF METHOD) AEROBICS CLASSES, AND PERSONAL TRAINING FOR EVERYONE. I FIGURED WITH SUCH AN ACTIVE POPULATION ANDTHE HIGH NUMBER OF GOLFERS ,TENNIS PLAYERS AND THE WHOLE BEACH CULTURE A PERSONAL TRAINING STUDIO/ WELLNESS CENTER WOULD REALLY THRIVE THERE. YOUR THOUGHTS ON THAT PLEASE. WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS? WOULD NAPLES BE MY BEST BET IN SWF? WHY?
Pros: Great idea; very realisitc need in this country

Con: What do you charge? I use to be a fitness fanatic but had to tweek some things as kids came along and money got a little tight. I found a 24hr fitness gym & snagged a $14/mnth membership & do the best I can. I know that the PTs there offer their services in the range of $25/hr & half - $59/hr & half. I don't have that kind of money right now..house & tuition for my children are priority.

With the job market for the working class in SWFL being nonexistent to an extent with no light at the end of the tunnel yet, you would struggle getting their buisness as they can barely afford rent/mortgage.

If you feel comfortable & confident creating your business around retirees and snowbirds & have a way to sell yourself to get their business, you may have a shot.

It's how you sell yourself and if you are any good. The business you are in is needed but it is not cheap, so you have to figure out how to convince those who hold on to their nickels pretty darn tight (as SWFL is known for) to let go & spend.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If you feel comfortable & confident creating your business around retirees and snowbirds & have a way to sell yourself to get their business, you may have a shot.

It's how you sell yourself and if you are any good. The business you are in is needed but it is not cheap, so you have to figure out how to convince those who hold on to their nickels pretty darn tight (as SWFL is known for) to let go & spend.
That's the key.

Lee County has a large number of retirees, but they are EXTREMELY frugal.

You would probably have a better shot in Naples, even Estero, but you'll have to see what kind of competition is there.

Also, remember that there is a "season." You would have to make your money from January to April. You'll have some business in November and December, maybe. The other six months, it could be dead.

Definitely head further south. Lee County is famous for people lining up for the early bird special at Bob Evans. They'll wrestle you in line to be first and then stiff the waitress.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:03 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Chuckles at Golfers being called athletes I'm actually off to play a round in just a bit...

I think you've got a great idea for a business model here but you're service might be very price sensitive at the beginning. You might want to take another trip down and schedule some meetings with local golf pros to test the water on the demand/need for it.

You'll also have to remember that your primary market is only here from Dec - Apr and that it will shrink by over 50% in the offseason. There is also a narrow corridor in Lee County which contains most of the country clubs. Most are 5 miles east/west of I-75 starting at Daniels all the way up the Palm beach. You've got Fiddlesticks, Olde Hickory, Legends, Renaissance (spl?), Gateway, Cross Creek, Eagle Ridge, Colonial CC, Pelican Preserve, Westminster, Eastwood, Heritage Palms, Verandah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyers View Post
Hello

Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM

340 posts, read 1,046,366 times
The best market right now is for female trainers who come to the the high rises and visit the aging wealthy and take them to their club Gym and work em out. There is a lady who does this in the Club I work in ( In Naples ) and she is raking in the clients. She looks fit and she takes them for walks, gets them moving, and makes them feel good while working out a bit.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,692 times
That is a great market and great idea. I have had the same idea about that area. My inlaws moved to naples 5 yrs ago. After a few visits there, I told my wife that I could be successful their. Golfers and older adults , plus it is very affluent. Go to the restaurants and golf courses in that area, you would not know about the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area