Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ya, well, I have never had a problem with my tattoo.

Sorry, but I have to agree with BigMunch, Chris.

By the way, how do you know? From the New York Times:

[URL]http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/when-tattoos-hurt-job-prospects/[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 PM

107 posts, read 180,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

When Tattoos Hurt Job Prospects - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com
Have a tattoo myself from my military days but it is on my back and is only seen at the pool or the beach. I hired a guy back in the day when the economy was good (wow! hope I don't have to say that much longer) that had both arms covered in tattoos. The guy had some petty theft on his record but I was willing to give him a second chance. I was desperate for qualified experienced help too and he was the only applicant at the time. Long story short, I had to fire him because he tried to use the company credit card I gave him for personal use. I had one customer that was scared of him and would not let him in the house when she saw his tattoos! He was even weared a dry cleaned company uniform! He was a nice guy and did good work too. Tattoos are one of those stereotype things. Just because you have tattoos doesn't mean that you fit the stereotype. It is just easy for people that don't know you to judge by that stereotype because there are a lot of people with tattoos that do fit the stereotype.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:29 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

When Tattoos Hurt Job Prospects - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com
How do I know? EVERY job I have interviewed with I have gotten...... No one said, "whoa, look at that arm... No, can't hire you sir, you are the devil, or a bad person with that on your arm"...... I was hired a week and a half ago at a luxury property where I am going to this coming week, and wore a polo shirt. Maybe people have been turned down from a job from them, BUT I, ME, MYSELF, never had an issue....

Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
How do I know? EVERY job I have interviewed with I have gotten...... No one said, "whoa, look at that arm... No, can't hire you sir, you are the devil, or a bad person with that on your arm"...... I was hired a week and a half ago at a luxury property where I am going to this coming week, and wore a polo shirt. Maybe people have been turned down from a job from them, BUT I, ME, MYSELF, never had an issue....
Well, apparently it doesn't say "Death to all my enemies!"

(Or maybe it does and that's why you're getting hired at every interview.)

Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM

283 posts, read 652,505 times
Back 40 years ago, if you were young and had long hair people looked at you and assumed that you a worthless no good communist hippie freak. They swore that you would never get a job and you would be a loser all the rest of your life. I swore that when I got old I would never be critical of things that young people did (within reason). Well I am old now and I see tattoos ever where I look. I do not understand why but different strokes for different folks. Just one question for you. What do you do if you have a I love Mary tattoo and 5 years later you marry sue?

Old 09-04-2009, 06:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
Back 40 years ago, if you were young and had long hair people looked at you and assumed that you a worthless no good communist hippie freak. They swore that you would never get a job and you would be a loser all the rest of your life. I swore that when I got old I would never be critical of things that young people did (within reason). Well I am old now and I see tattoos ever where I look. I do not understand why but different strokes for different folks. Just one question for you. What do you do if you have a I love Mary tattoo and 5 years later you marry sue?
Yes, but you can always cut your hair.

Anyway, Florida seems much more judgemental than New England in such matters. I've been a waitress in Florida that worked under rules such as "no nail polish" and nothing larger than stud-sized earrings. One in each ear. I never heard of that up in Mass.

I never got a tattoo. Sister Lillian told us girls that before we ever get a tattoo we should visualize having to explain it to our grandchildren. That was back in the 70s and grandmothers now go out with guys as young as their grandchildren.

It stuck with me, though.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Anyway, Florida seems much more judgemental than New England in such matters. I've been a waitress in Florida that worked under rules such as "no nail polish" and nothing larger than stud-sized earrings. One in each ear. I never heard of that up in Mass.
Had the exact opposite experience. I think it depends on the profession, the manager and the clientele. I worked in one place in SWFL where the receptionist had a butterfly tattoo on her breast and wore a pushup bra so it was very visible. Most stores I've worked in allow very casual shoes, even sandals. In MA I had to wear a suit and pumps, and I always had to wear pantyhose. Here I've had blue & gold acrylic nails. When I first moved here, I was told several times "you're too dressed up for Florida." Again, it depends on the business. If you work in a bank, you probably don't show up for work in shorts & a tank top, no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area