Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 PM

317 posts, read 772,153 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, we were alerted by our bank that we'd been victims of fraud. Someone somehow had our bank account information/credit card number and completely wiped out our checking and our savings acct. by sending three different large sum transactions through a money wiring service.

I personally think that we take pretty good measures as far as keeping our banking and other information safe. We cross cut shred everything that has personal information such as bank account numbers, health insurance information, even old utility bills. We keep all of our tax information and other up-to-date information locked in a file folder holder thing (the word is totally escaping me right now). Additionally, we don't do any sort of online bill pay (we pay everything over the phone and do not send paper checks in the mail) and we very rarely shop online (I can not remember the last time I purchase anything online). I know there are ways that people can get our information that we can't really control except by never using a debit card - such as people attaching those gadgets to an ATM that stores debit card info or waiters or bartenders making a quick copy of the numbers.

What do you do to keep your information safe? What additional measures can we take as a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
do what i do...
i cash my check on payday, and pay with cash

Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
Wow...bakinmama........sorry to hear that and hope you're covered for you losses.I order stuff on line ....guess we've been lucky..I only give a card number when I have initiated the transaction,but I think it's just the luck of the draw.So many crooks out there.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:13 PM

38 posts, read 128,979 times
Use an ATM Card? Usually how your Account gets 'Hacked' is via an ATM Card..

ATM Card gets 'Hacked', you're 'out' the Money until the Bank 'gives' it back.

Credit Card gets 'Hacked', you're 'out' nothing.

I do not have an ATM Card for that reason.......

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM

317 posts, read 772,153 times
Thanks, Sam. Thankfully (and very surprisingly) our usually less-than-helpful bank has been helping us to figure this out and to return our money. Because of the large sum they plan on investigating and prosecuting. Additionally, we filed a police report last night with the intent to prosecute.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default My husband was a victim of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
Thanks, Sam. Thankfully (and very surprisingly) our usually less-than-helpful bank has been helping us to figure this out and to return our money. Because of the large sum they plan on investigating and prosecuting. Additionally, we filed a police report last night with the intent to prosecute.
Your bank should report it to the FBI. My husband was involved in a ring
which not only stole his identity, credit cards, and bank info, they even got a JOB, RENTAL, in his name in a different state. Actually, we were living in NY at the time and they were living, renting, and working in West Palm Beach under his name.

It took about 6 years for everything to be cleared up. Good luck. I know what you are going through. Go through all legal channels ASAP. Be VERY, VERY careful giving out information on the Internet is all I can say.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

35 posts, read 98,401 times
Default bank idenity fraud

where does this problem start-with some trusted bank computer operator --if the bank dont check this for you -there chickens roosting

Old 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
do what i do...
i cash my check on payday, and pay with cash
Exactly what I do too...

Old 05-03-2010, 05:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I used our debit card to buy some things in Sears, at the mall, of all places. I haven't been there in years, either. My bank caught it right away. Someone was trying to buy Italian shoes, as in shoes made in Italy. They were doing it overnight and the bank stopped them and shut down our account. We were told the next day. They also told us to cut up my husband's debit card and a new one would be along shortly.

That was the only time we have had it happen, yet. Knock on wood. It was a local bank with many, many branches. Oldest bank in town. We didn't lose a penny.

Teaches me to go to that low-life Sears.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM

22 posts, read 49,933 times
Default Not this time!!!!

Hello,

About a week ago I received an email allegedly from BOA. The email appeared authentic; the BOA logo must have been pasted in the email. The email stated that I had over utilized my log in key site and that in order to reset I should use the link in the email. Of course I did not. I reread the email and noticed at least two miss spelled words. Which would be unusual for me since I never mastered that particular skill. Anyway I notified BOA fraud unit. Shortly thereafter I received a legitimate email from BOA stating they were working hard to shut down that web site. The crooks are clever but not so clever that they can not take the time or use spell check in the commission of their crimes.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area