Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 PM

32 posts, read 88,724 times

Advertisements

[LEFT][SIZE=4]"MCCLAIN & MCGRAIL MEET WITH NATIONAL SWIM CENTER[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]12.04.09[/SIZE][/LEFT]
The National Swim Center Corporation visited city hall today, soliciting two city councilman for their support to build a city-financed, multi-million dollar swimming complex in Cape Coral. John McIlhargy and Sal Panico from National Swim Center, called on two councilman showing them poster-sized photographs and renditions of their dream. This visit occurred just days after former city councilwoman Bertolini sent a contentious email to city council about the swim center idea that was originally introduced while she was in office. Question: Did she know that today's visit was coming?
Another question is why would the National Swim Center Corporation meet with the councilman in private? Isn't this something that would be best presented in the public, on CapeTV, in front of the entire council?
What do you think? Want to see the pictures? Yes? If you do, perhaps you can email the council at council@capecoral.net."
[LEFT]
This article was posted on "Grassrootsdailynews.com" [/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 AM

196 posts, read 504,308 times
Default Swim Complex Good For All?

Ok? I have been following the Local Paper,,NewsPress has published pieces concerning the development of this wonderful project. From what I gathered, the information published was informed the Swim Complex Folks were under the major financial burden of this development, not the local residents. I believe the quote was something like" We have never invested in bringing our plans to frution and are very excited of the development of our project".
The Cape Coral area will grow, with or without this project. Better this than some plastics company pumping fumes into that clear wonderful sky. It is slated a "future growth city" in the USA. During this very difficult economic time any development should be welcomed. This has short & very long term economic benefits, thus providing some well needed employment to a desperate area. Also this place is going to be huge, which in turn will bring tax dollars into the area, hopefully resulting in keeping the local residential taxes low. Lastly consider the outlook for expanding the tourist season during different times during the year, bringing in more revenues to the area. This complex will bring Olympic hopefuls to the area. trainers, visiting families and competition from all over. Most certainly offer an outlet to local residents. programs and such~
Do you really think this is a bad idea? Personally I am pulling for it. The only thing I would disagree with is, it should be sitting it on the outskirts of the city, not smack in the South area, isn't it going to have like seating for 5000 or 10000? This si just my two cents.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 AM

317 posts, read 772,153 times
I thought they were putting it in NW Cape?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 AM

32 posts, read 88,724 times
The Idea of placing a swim center here has cost Cape Coral Tax payers over $100,000.00 Just in planning. Secondly they want you to provide land that you paid $6,800,000.00 for one hunderd years, or about $5,000,000.00 in cash. Thanks to the past wisdom of our city leaders, we have close to a billion dollars in debt. Why don't we just tell the National Swim Center Corp. to get lost and hire some of our own people to build it. After all ,it's just a hole in the ground and some plumbing. Just my .02

Old 12-10-2009, 07:58 AM

111 posts, read 287,186 times
Default My take on all this

First and foremost the National Swimming Center should be required to present its financial sources for each project. A lot of what has we have heard appears on the surface to be a great project for the area.

Before the City makes any major investment, National Swimming Center Corp. needs to submit contractual proof from the various legitimate swimming organizations will make long term use of the facility.

Yes it is a great project, but after reading a news article from Corpus Christi, Texas (see link), it is my opinion that there are too many unanswered questions and a huge gap between concept and construction.
We also need Lee County onboard along with the appropriate IDA and any possible Federal Funding sources.

We're hopeful that our City Officials will keep an open mind but continue to approach this project with cautious optimism.

From all appearances, we now have a city council that will study the project thoroughly and devote whatever it takes to produce a viable project and not a white elephant.

Merry Christmas to all

SWFLP

Swim group questions remain» Corpus Christi Caller-Times

Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Maybe they should just pool their funds. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif (broken link)

Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 AM

196 posts, read 504,308 times
hummmm? Quoted from Corpus Christi Newspaper "
“We’re not a stakeholder and we’re not in the building facility business,” he said. “Much like you can buy a carton of orange juice with the Olympic rings, the (swim center corporation) can use our logo and write that we’re an official partner. We support their plan.”
LaBianco said the foundation doesn’t financially support the swim corporation.
That’s different from what McIlhargy told coliseum committee members in September." this artical suggested by SW Pirate really does raise allot of questions,,What ever happened for local Giant Projects to Float Bonded Goverment loans to cover the gap of needed funds? why hit the locals? Hey I wanna open a Mickey D's how about I bring 100G's in and CC Float the rest?? Why not,,Can't anything today be clear cut? Honest? and Untainted by Politics? However I must say Bravo to the CC Residents who do not let Goverent go unwatched! I will keep an eye on this, I am still 1300 miles away, My only info is News Press right now,so thanx all for not tearing me up, I was eager for it might offer my Kids a positive direction.
Merry Christmas to you'all too!
PS A Billion dollars in Debt from what may I ask?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
Default So whatever Happened with this project?...

Did it come to fruition? Is Cape Coral now rolling in revenue from this incredible Aquatic Center?

Because the same National Swimming Center Corp appears to now be one of the proposing private partners in a "public/private" partnership being floated as yet another "economic savior" for St. Croix and the Virgin Islands.

The other private partners seem equally "fly-by-night". So I'm very curious to know if NSCC actually came through, or if after some pointed public scrutiny, moved on to another economically depressed area to pitch their scam.

Thanks.

Michael

Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
While Certain Members of NSCC may have some questionable grey areas in their background, NSCC should not be painted with a broad brush that all of its members have questionable backgrounds. The concept of an aquatics complex is a great one and can bring much needed economic development with a growing and affluent membership to an area. Hopefully NSCC will be able to rid themselves of some bad characters that have blemished the entire organization. I also believe that If NSCC is to prove themselves, they will have to finance and build an aquatics complex unparalled to none and prove to all that the vision is real and a good one. Go USA Swimming! London Olympics

Old 07-16-2012, 07:11 PM

515 posts, read 1,589,792 times
Why is it that the members of that organization never released and produced the paper trail of the loans that they owed, defaulted on it Texas? Yea, lets invest with them! That would have been worse than investing in the ball teams like we did. $80,000,000 plus to start, and there are a few more teams that are requesting equal a$$ kissing. What's the main attraction here, tourism? generated how? the beaches? how about using some of those dollars to fix the biggest tourism gripes on the beach like parking, access, hotels etc...... not just baseball fans who come down from Boston for 4 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area