Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 30,567 times

Advertisements

and read alot of positive and negative things. I'm semi-retired and don't want to worry about thugs and home invasion. Been there, done that. Is CC the place to settle, buy a boat, live the life finally? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 02:13 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,505,972 times
Hi. Welcome to the forum.
I moved your post to it's own thread....it should get more responses that way.

Be prepared to get a lot of negative and positive replies.......you may want to give a bit more info, as to what you are looking for, budget, need for work, and if so, what type, etc,etc.

My take is that if you are retired, set money-wise, etc, Florida can be wonderful. If one is in need of a job, etc, it can be a bit more difficult.

Frank

Old 12-12-2009, 03:22 PM

10 posts, read 30,567 times
Thanks, Frank. My wife and I are coming down in January to snoop around and get a feel. The prices are very attractive, but this will not last long. Our agent asked if we wanted fresh water or Gulf access for boating. We don't have a boat, but plan to buy a small one. Anyway, what's fresh water boating like and what's the skinny on CC for 2010? Coming back or in deep trouble?

Old 12-12-2009, 04:33 PM

317 posts, read 769,591 times
I have no idea where Cape Coral is headed... but I will say that we've lived here for 4 years now (my husband grew up here - we moved back after college) and things don't see that much worse for us or those around us. Businesses are closing and people are losing their homes, but the majority of people I know who were smart with their money, smart about their jobs, are still doing fine. They aren't doing as well as they were at the height of the boom, but they are just fine. We have two small children and live in a neighborhood in NW Cape Coral near a high school, a brand new $15 million library, and a middle school. A little farther away, but still pretty close, is a great charter school, a Publix (in a shopping center), a Kohl's, a gas station, a fire dept., a neighborhood WM, and other various shops. There hasn't been a break-in in our neighborhood as far as anyone can remember. Our neighbors are friendly and we've recently got to know them - most are the actual homeowners, very few are renters.

I would imagine that if you get yourself into a good neighborhood, you'll be fine.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,862,285 times
Don't hesitate,BB....we bought last year in SE Cape,close to Del Prado (main st) on a canal,great deal,great neighbors.....don't even need to lock your house most of the time.Crime is totally overblown.Walk and bike to restaurants and stores.....don't buy on fresh water....you'll want gulf access.Secret is.....check out the neighborhood....walk 4 or 5 blocks in all directions.We have a mix of nice working families,retired people,boaters.
I,too believed all the gossip about crime,but it is greatly exagerated.Mostly people who are known to each other....drug deals,family beefs.I was packing a .38 until I realized how nice it was.Neighbors came over with food........watch your place when your gone.Old farts like us walking at night.
Buy in SE or SW.....Northeast has more of a crime problem...mostly breakins.Rarely a crime against strangers.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:38 PM

We live in NW Cape and we have a great neighborhood. I think the problem in the NW and NE Cape exists past Diplomat, definitely past Kismet - the houses are far apart, most are unoccupied, and there are no street lights out there. We rented in NW Cape - Kismet and Santa Barbara and we were the only occupied house on our block by the time we finally moved also.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:48 PM

198 posts, read 480,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
brand new $15 million library
Wow, I didn't realize it was a Library that was just completed at Mariner. We'll have to take a walk down from the house and check it out when we arrive next month, thanks.
We too had reservations about CC before we purchased our place in the NW section. I must tell you we are very happy with what we have observed so far.
We too, have very nice neighbors who have been looking out for the place when we are not there.
Get an alarm, it's a must for us. We even installed video cameras on the exterior and interior. I can even check out the place via the internet and during these cold NE days.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsme View Post
Wow, I didn't realize it was a Library that was just completed at Mariner. We'll have to take a walk down from the house and check it out when we arrive next month, thanks.
We too had reservations about CC before we purchased our place in the NW section. I must tell you we are very happy with what we have observed so far.
We too, have very nice neighbors who have been looking out for the place when we are not there.
Get an alarm, it's a must for us. We even installed video cameras on the exterior and interior. I can even check out the place via the internet and during these cold NE days.
Yup! It is actually pretty awesome. We went on opening day, so it was a little nuts, but it is very modern. It has an exhibition area, which I didn't really have a chance to look at. It has an awesome kids space (which, with two little ones, this is where I spent most of my time) with rows and rows and rows and rows of brand new books and movies! They seem to have a great selection of movies for kids and adults! It also has a little cafe. Because it is situated between the two schools, their focus is on education, which I think is great! I am super glad that it is there and that the girls and I can walk over to it instead of having to pile into the car and drive to North Fort or the SW Cape Library!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:11 AM

10 posts, read 39,370 times
Default Cape Coral golf course

Hi! Another wantabe living in the sun, 50 something, almost retired northern here. Nothern part of Cape Coral is sounding perfect for me. I own a 150 acre dairyfarm in Upstate New York, and the first house is over a 1/4 mile down the road. Can anyone tell me about the golf courses? Thank you for all the great info so far, I am learning a lot. I visited Fort Myers Beach in 2005 and traveled up to North Fort Myers but didn't go on to Cape Coral. Glad I didn't buy that year! My family includes myself, my adult son who is mentally delayed and a dog.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihurst View Post
Hi! Another wantabe living in the sun, 50 something, almost retired northern here. Nothern part of Cape Coral is sounding perfect for me. I own a 150 acre dairyfarm in Upstate New York, and the first house is over a 1/4 mile down the road. Can anyone tell me about the golf courses? Thank you for all the great info so far, I am learning a lot. I visited Fort Myers Beach in 2005 and traveled up to North Fort Myers but didn't go on to Cape Coral. Glad I didn't buy that year! My family includes myself, my adult son who is mentally delayed and a dog.
Public or private courses?

There are some good courses in Fort Myers:

Magnolia Landing is a great course - a friend of ours works as a golf pro there.

Cape Coral is home to Royal Tee and Coral Oaks. I think there is another, but I can't remember the name. I have heard Royal Tee is better. Coral Oaks is operated by the city.

I've also heard good things about Fiddlesticks, Heron's Glen, and Riverbend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area