U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2009, 11:33 AM

2,768 posts, read 4,232,500 times

Advertisements

Kristin - I was thinking the same thing it isn't that bad - where the heck did krorean go to school. I mean yes u go to undesirable areas and the education is lacking but marshal arts and weaponry - damn that isn't good - I think it is safe to assume every school has it's problems , some worse than others - as far as kids defending themselves - that is a given but neither do I want my child getting beat up every day. Bullies now who to attack - u just have to hope the school system doesn't turn a blind eye and prevents it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:54 AM

1,053 posts, read 1,889,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Folks,
Let's get back on topic........then again, I think the topic may lead to disputes...
Perhaps it has run it's course.

Nancy, thank you for adding some culture to our many spiraling downward threads.....

Sometimes, just to maintain balance, I think there should be a rule here that for every negative comment posted here one would have to also mention ONE positive thing......imagine that!

The real truth here is that no place is perfect, no place is totally bad or totally good......even here in NY, there are things I dislike, (high taxes, poor jobs, rust, potholes, high heat bills, blizzards, etc,etc)........but there are also great things.....(change of seasons, although too extreme for me, V shaped flying Canadian geese everywhere, lightly falling snow, the smell of fall leaves, the excitement of seeing the leaves come back again after months of dreary winter, the excitement of seeing your driveway again after snowblowing for 3 hours, having a fireplace fire to warm the house, etc,etc. )

I know this is about Florida....I just wanted to make a point that one could, (and should) be able to find good and bad everywhere, and the truthfulness of that balance is nice.......

Well, time to go snowblow the driveway again...it is 16 degrees here.....carry on!

Frank
Now Frank, That was just down right funny LOL, If you make the negitive posters post something positive each time, I'm afraid we'd lose most of our fiestist people, they just CAN'T do it

I pay someone to plow my driveway, It would kill even the most robust snow blower ha ha

But again, getting back on subject, A huge majority of people living in Florida LOVE it! There are problems and no place is perfect, but Florida is pretty dam close. How's that for positive?? Mr.Cold

Old 12-23-2009, 11:57 AM

I love it - I just say think warm thoughts think warm thoughts - lol

Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,889,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Kristin - I was thinking the same thing it isn't that bad - where the heck did krorean go to school. I mean yes u go to undesirable areas and the education is lacking but marshal arts and weaponry - damn that isn't good - I think it is safe to assume every school has it's problems , some worse than others - as far as kids defending themselves - that is a given but neither do I want my child getting beat up every day. Bullies now who to attack - u just have to hope the school system doesn't turn a blind eye and prevents it!
Chelsa, I think Krorean is from somewhere in Canada, not sure where. We're from Wisconsin which is kind of the same thing...We allow 6 year olds to go deer hunting, with parents...we also allow blind people to hunt so there ya go...It's a different mentallity up here in the snow belt. Mr.Cold

Old 12-23-2009, 12:24 PM

751 posts, read 975,358 times
This associated press poll is hysterical, Happiness is relative thus, no poll can attest to the state of peoples mind. Heck, Florida is rampant with crime, predators and high unemployment, hence leads the nation in foreclosures after CA, how could anyone rank it 3rd in happiness?! People leaving by the thousands to boot. I wonder what information was collected and what part of the population was sampled? Something just doesn't compute. Geez, who believes this malarkey?!!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks mr cold - is it bad like that in Canada? Goodness - blind people hunt - I can't even say it with a straight face - how could a lawmaker say that out loud and think it sounded okay - 6 yearolds hunting - well I think that borders on child abuse insanity! I'm trying to keep an open mind but it rally is a bit dificult to do so with laws such as these.

@ chaotix - They polled 1.3 million people over all demographic lines - and it appeared the majority found Florida to be a great place - hey it is all in the eye of the beholder. Ur he'll is my heaven.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 PM

9,444 posts, read 10,129,872 times
Quote:
Thanks mr cold - is it bad like that in Canada? Goodness - blind people hunt - I can't even say it with a straight face - how could a lawmaker say that out loud and think it sounded okay - 6 yearolds hunting - well I think that borders on child abuse insanity! I'm trying to keep an open mind but it rally is a bit dificult to do so with laws such as these.

@ chaotix - They polled 1.3 million people over all demographic lines - and it appeared the majority found Florida to be a great place - hey it is all in the eye of the beholder. Ur he'll is my heaven.
A friend of mine made a joke that the reason why Florida was on the list of happiest states is becase the whole state is a bunch of stoners. LOL. Kidding of course.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:41 PM

8,287 posts, read 8,150,596 times
Kroeran, since Frank suggested we stay on topic, I don't want to stray too far. However, to answer your question to me, I never said that only old money moved to FL. By quoting Dickens, I was merely pointing out the differences in lifestyle between the wealthy & the poor. For the wealthy, Florida can be the best of times. For the poor, Florida can be the worst of times. I didn't think I needed to elaborate.

Florida ranks third in the nation for the highest number of suicide fatalities and has the 18th highest suicide rate. Suicide is the state’s 9th leading cause of death.

I've posted articles about the despair in areas where there is a high percentage of foreclosures, so I want to go back several years to see if everyone was smiling when the housing market was booming, before the economy took at turn for the worst.

Well, I came across this article in the Miami Herald from 2003 about migrant workers in Immokalee called Fields of Despair.

How about this 2007 report on WINK news about Homeless Children in Southwest Florida.

Then in Oct 2008 the Associated Press reported Florida Unemployment Highest in 14 years.

In 2007, USA Today printed an article about depression & suicide by state. If the sunshine makes people so happy, why is Hawaii #2? Louisiana (pre-Katrina) #7? Georgia #11? Florida #14?

I am not the naysayer here and most of my posts are positive. However, it's important to be realistic and understand that it's impossible to make a generalization about the happiness of over 18 million people. Where are they getting the statistical data? This article about poverty & homelessness in FL says what I guess I've been trying to express.

"On one end of the spectrum we have the average investor, sitting in his townhouse living room, lamenting his or her loss on the stock market. On the other hand? People who never had much in the first place, squeezed of their last drop of hope. For South Florida, dismantling and selling off Disney World to benefit its people would be more feasible than ignoring what is going on any longer. There are nearly 2 million people who are homeless in the US."

When I'm depressed I start singing "Love shack is a little old place where we can get together..." or "Shiny happy people laughing..." Sometimes does the trick.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:46 PM

8,287 posts, read 8,150,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
A friend of mine made a joke that the reason why Florida was on the list of happiest states is becase the whole state is a bunch of stoners. LOL. Kidding of course.
Yup - see my comment first page.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/12089503-post7.html

Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 PM

751 posts, read 975,358 times
Quote:

That question was rhetorical Chelsa1075, I doubt that 1.3 million people were polled, as polls are very expensive to conduct, unless it was an internet poll,(lol) where the margin of error is huge, thus cannot be measured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area