U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:19 PM

8,294 posts, read 8,193,094 times

Advertisements

There are over 308 million people in the United States. So they asked less than 1/2 of 1% of the population?

1.3 million is less than 1/2 of 1% of 308 million. 1% is over 3 million, right? So let's say someone came to Fort Myers (pop about 68,000) If you use the same percentage, they would have polled between 250-300 people. Do you call that scientific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 PM

454 posts, read 574,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
Didn't say anything about taking weapons to school. Just read a bit more slowly and you will be able to follow the conversation.
Now WHO was being nasty? If you dish it out, be prepared to take it too.

The thread was about the poll...remember? "Happiest People"...not "kroeran's trailer/chickens/bartering" thread. Your thread died a natural death of boredom, please don't hijack other's and redirect them to a subject of more interest to you. You might be happier on your metaphysics forums where you can fondle your cerebrum to your heart's content.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 12-23-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 03:05 PM

751 posts, read 980,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
There are over 308 million people in the United States. So they asked less than 1/2 of 1% of the population?

1.3 million is less than 1/2 of 1% of 308 million. 1% is over 3 million, right? So let's say someone came to Fort Myers (pop about 68,000) If you use the same percentage, they would have polled between 250-300 people. Do you call that scientific?
lol. . .

I'll take it a step further using your numbers, the average of 250 plus 300 is 275, so if 40% of people lie according to another Zogby poll that would leave 275 minus 40% (110 ) leave us with 165 happy people on this happiness poll Let's use Tiger’s Windermere Islesworth area as the sample, as I am sure they didn't use Jasper, Fl, it would clearly explain the happy people in Florida, however, excluding Tiger and his wife, leaves the total at 163 of happy persons in Florida

For any entity to make such a claim on a happiness poll, it should clearly state how the poll was conducted, what information was collected and what sample of the population (geographical, ethnicity, social status) was polled, hence, jobs, education, crime and social conditions, all are crucial factors that need to be incorporated in order to make such a claim in determining happiness.

Last edited by chaotix; 12-23-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-23-2009, 03:23 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,894,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
This associated press poll is hysterical, Happiness is relative thus, no poll can attest to the state of peoples mind. Heck, Florida is rampant with crime, predators and high unemployment, hence leads the nation in foreclosures after CA, how could anyone rank it 3rd in happiness?! People leaving by the thousands to boot. I wonder what information was collected and what part of the population was sampled? Something just doesn't compute. Geez, who believes this malarkey?!!
It was not an AP survey, It was done by the centers of disease control and prevention.

If you would like to read the whole article, just Google....Discovery news Happiest states in America. They tell you more about how the survey was done and you can post more intellectually....Mr.Cold

Old 12-23-2009, 03:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,264,450 times
Centers of Disease Control and Prevention? I guess this mean I am going to be very sick.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:35 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,894,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Thanks mr cold - is it bad like that in Canada? Goodness - blind people hunt - I can't even say it with a straight face - how could a lawmaker say that out loud and think it sounded okay - 6 yearolds hunting - well I think that borders on child abuse insanity! I'm trying to keep an open mind but it rally is a bit dificult to do so with laws such as these.

@ chaotix - They polled 1.3 million people over all demographic lines - and it appeared the majority found Florida to be a great place - hey it is all in the eye of the beholder. Ur he'll is my heaven.
Ya, I know it's really bizaare But Madison Wi. is the state capital and full of very liberal lawmakers. One blind guy wanted to hunt and claimed the law was discriminating against "sight challenged" People so they made a law that the blind could hunt with certain restrictions. I s__t you not! I'm waiting for them to let them drive Six year olds hunting? same thing, you can't dicriminate!!! Worse this in the world you could do up here!! Mr.Cold

Old 12-23-2009, 03:43 PM

2,768 posts, read 4,244,200 times
Ok -

Old 12-23-2009, 04:32 PM

917 posts, read 1,590,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
I read Kroeran's posts, and he never said anything about taking weapons to school, only about training school aged kids in the use of small weapons. And as per normal, Mrs. Tommy's post is insulting and uncalled for!
Here's the most disturbing quote in context, Mr Cool. I understand what you're saying about young boys going hunting with dad in rural areas. That's not what is being said here. I'm sure Kroeran isn't really suggesting that kids take guns to school. I just don't understand why he would even say what he said.
Quote:
without question, anyone in a trailer would need to evacuate or head to a community shelter.

if its a 5k manufactured home on blocks, and maybe you face a 1/1000 chance of it going in a cane...hopefully you can swing self insurance and have a little stashed away to start over. Being 40 miles from the coast would help too.

a benefit of an RV camper would be the option to drive away.

its all trade offs. land that occasionally floods in east Golden Gate might be nearly free...

do people with rickety houses build tool sheds out of cinder blocks as a safe room in the event of a hurricane they can't outrun?

I'm thinkin a decent RV on rented or cheap bought land...that might be the way to go. If you have kids in the public school system, get them fully trained up in martial arts and small weapons. Try to swing some high deductable emergency health insurance.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11708985-post6.html
On a more positive note, we had beautiful weather here today.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:41 PM

751 posts, read 980,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
It was not an AP survey, It was done by the centers of disease control and prevention.

If you would like to read the whole article, just Google....Discovery news Happiest states in America. They tell you more about how the survey was done and you can post more intellectually....Mr.Cold

Any entity whether it’s the CDC or any other Governmental Agency that is going to tell me through some deceitful skewed Poll that a State with high crime, highest unemployment rate in the nation, high concentration registered sexual offenders, highest foreclosures in the nation after CA, high taxes, and high insurance rates, etc, etc., all which affect our standard of living is equivalent to “Happiness” is just plain MAD!

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure this one out Mr. Einstein, errrr. . .I mean Mr. Cold.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 PM

2,901 posts, read 6,752,004 times
Folks, I think it is obvious now that for some, Florida is great, for others, it is not.
Let's present our views without the name calling, etc....this thread is close to being closed.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area