Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 PM

16 posts, read 157,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Dear Naraj,

Thanks for getting us back on topic. I tend to think people usually find others as being like they are. You seem to be a nice person, and I would guess you will find others the same way.

FWIW, I have found my Florida neighbors totally wonderful.

Frank
Thanks, Frank. I've found that when you're nice to other people, they usually return the favor, and even if they don't, maybe it'll make them think twice about being a grouch, one day. Hopefully it would in Naples, too

Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,115 times
It seems that some people here also have a sense of entitlement and power-hunger. However, I digress. Elderly people always seem to be in a "get out of my way, i have to crap because my metamucil just kicked in" mood. Pushing and ramming their way through crowds and lines. I had to yell at an old lady for almost running down my 3 year old in the grocery store, she just sneered at me and went on her nasty way. It gets old being treated like crap because old people think they deserve to be treated better than everyone else.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
It seems that some people here also have a sense of entitlement and power-hunger. However, I digress. Elderly people always seem to be in a "get out of my way, i have to crap because my metamucil just kicked in" mood. Pushing and ramming their way through crowds and lines. I had to yell at an old lady for almost running down my 3 year old in the grocery store, she just sneered at me and went on her nasty way. It gets old being treated like crap because old people think they deserve to be treated better than everyone else.

Thanks for a good laugh! I actually have an elderly customer that seems to have developed the habit of asking me a question, then stopping me mid answer......"oops, gotta run, my water pill just hit" But he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet........Or maybe he just doesnt like my answers I swear, he must think...He's coming by today, better take a water pill.

Here's food for thought.......... As a part of perception, you have to account for the age of the observer. At age 50 I can guarantee you I look at the world much differently than I did when I was 25. And I'm sure, if I have the good fortune to make it that far, it'll be a whole different outlook in another 25 years down the road.

Just like JB(whom I will go out on a limb, and assume he is in his mid 20 to early 30's due to the age of his son)likely looks at things differently than he did 10/15 years or so ago, when his parents were taking care of him. You can think of almost every stage of life, as having some form of rite of passage.

The young will complain about the old folk,(which is almost anyone outside of their close circle) the middle aged will complain about the young and the old,(which is almost everyone outside of their close circle) and the old will complain about the young(which is everyone outside of their close circle).

Now where's that thread about rude young people in SW Florida?

(BTW, wasnt singling you out for anything JB, just referenced you as an example to make the point)

Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Well, we have certainly gone off topic.......and this vain of thought should really be in the religion forum, but i'll let it go a little while longer as long as it stays civil and respectful.

I would respectfully disagree with you tommy. Most of the ads you posted were from christian organizations. People are different and have the right to have like people. I know this flies in the face of the P.C. movement, and I don't believe in discrimination, but there has to be some happy medium.

I know this steps on all the hot topics, but common sense needs to prevail. Every river needs banks, or else you have a flood.

If you go along with your thinking, then there are many other things wrong. What about the black Entertainment Channel, or Miss Black America? Or the Unitied Negro College Fund? Should my son be able to join Girl Scouts if he wanted, or a girl join Boy Scouts? Should a catholic doctor be forced to do abortions? Should a person with a very low I.Q. be allowed to join Mensa? Or a guy be allowed to join the LeLache league?

Do you think that as a christian I could go to any Muslim country and demand equal rights? Our country has gone crazy.....heck, some folks think it is wrong now to say Merry Christmas! Could you see any other foreign country throw away years of majority tradition because it might "offend" someone?

If I were to move to a foreign country, I would not expect their citizens to change for me. I would respect their history and culture and not make waves. Go to Mexico and see what your rights are as a U.S. citizen. It is quite different from here in the U.S.

It is a sad day indeed when political correctness kills common sense.

Frank
This may be the best post in the history of city-data Mr.Cool

Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,722 times
Quote:
Gezz, you yelled at a little old lady and your upset because she then sneered at you??? she never touched your son. I'm sure somewhere there's a forum talking about how rude young people are in Florida! Whos the ***MOD CUT***?? Mr.Cool

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 12-31-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: innappropriate language- warning given....

Old 12-31-2009, 07:17 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
Its not just Florida. Try getting a seat on the subway in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
In general I find most people rude in Florida. And most of them are tranplants.

Perfect example was at Beef O' Bradys(yes it is a sports bar) but there was a table of NY Jets fans that were beyond loud and annoying other customers.

I said to my wife people like that reinforce the NY stereotype.

They were way out of line with their noise level(plus they were losing...lol).

FL gets a lot of low class people from other parts of the country(not everyone) but enough to make it noticeable, especially when you have lived in states like Oregon where people for the most part are very courteous and think of others.

In regards to the seniors, some of them do have a sense of entitlement. I was in Publix and there was an elderly man who wouldn't move his cart, he was reading a magazine and expected everyone to go around him.

I also don't understand why someone will drive in the left hand lane under the speed limit, and not move over for other cars....that is just rude.

Having live in four states in different parts of the country I call the FL the "land of me first". I have never seen so many rude and inconsiderate people in one place.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Gezz, you yelled at a little old lady and your upset because she then sneered at you??? she never touched your son. I'm sure somewhere there's a forum talking about how rude young people are in Florida! Whos the a++hole?? Mr.Cool
I hate to tell you this, but I would yell at anyone that almost runs my daughter down in a store, to the point i have to snatch her off her feet to keep her from getting injured. It's not my fault the old bag didn't have the common sense to watch where she was going.

Yacht... you make some good observations, I will be 25 in 7 days, actually lol. Most of my friends are older than me, aside from my best friend who is 7 months younger, everyone I know, and associate with is a good 10 years or more my senior. I work in an industry where that seems to be the norm. As an auto tech, I started at 17 in a shop, and was 6 years younger than even the youngest lube tech. I proved myself, gained the respect of my peers and they gained mine. They didn't think of me as a dumb kid and I didn't think of them as crotchety old geezers. Mutual respect can go a long way, some people just cannot bring themselves to be respectful of others space, or lack the common sense to act in a decent manner, no matter their age.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:

Yacht... you make some good observations, I will be 25 in 7 days, actually lol. Most of my friends are older than me, aside from my best friend who is 7 months younger, everyone I know, and associate with is a good 10 years or more my senior. I work in an industry where that seems to be the norm. As an auto tech, I started at 17 in a shop, and was 6 years younger than even the youngest lube tech. I proved myself, gained the respect of my peers and they gained mine. They didn't think of me as a dumb kid and I didn't think of them as crotchety old geezers. Mutual respect can go a long way, some people just cannot bring themselves to be respectful of others space, or lack the common sense to act in a decent manner, no matter their age.
You have got to know my husband. Or at least know some of his friends. Maybe you haven't been on the forum long enough to know that my husband was a tech in swFlorida from 1988 to 2005.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 PM

455 posts, read 978,803 times
Quote:
It seems that some people here also have a sense of entitlement and power-hunger. However, I digress.
I hope you are not referring to Frank with your "power-hunger" comment. I might refer you to the TOS regarding Mods. We are all lucky that Frank is so forgiving and easy-going, otherwise, 99% of us would have been gone a long time ago! NO...that was not sucking up...I've just observed other Mods in action and they will bump you in a heartbeat, rather than deal with you.

Thanks for your patience Frank.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 12-31-2009 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 12:46 PM

It was in reference to people who type and act before they think. Censorship is wrong, especially when what you were censored for never happened... You can refer whatever you wish.

HIK, it's possible, pm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area