Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The homes I see on the market in SE Cape have fallen from over $500,000 in 2005 to about $200,000 now. If you find a home at this price that you like and can afford for your retirement who cares if the price goes down? Your property taxes will drop also making it even more affordable. You're not looking to sell anyway if it's your retirement home right?
Put that way.....of course it is perfectly acceptable. All depends on how one wishes to rationalize their purchase.

The traditional rationalization for a real estate purchase was, of course, that it would be regarded as an appreciating asset.

Perhaps a part of the "recession" (which I am becoming more comfortable calling a "transformation") taking place, is that we will henceforth consider real estate to be just another depreciating asset, like a car, that gets worn out, and needs replacement from time to time......

Yachtcare is just thinking out loud, again.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM

376 posts, read 910,547 times
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl
The homes I see on the market in SE Cape have fallen from over $500,000 in 2005 to about $200,000 now. If you find a home at this price that you like and can afford for your retirement who cares if the price goes down? Your property taxes will drop also making it even more affordable. You're not looking to sell anyway if it's your retirement home right?

This is all well & good, as long as:

* you keep your job
* insurance & taxes don't jump sky high
* a medical issue is a non-issue
* inflation does not rear its ugly head
* neighborhood doesn't go downhill
* special assessment does not apply to your home
* list goes on & on

Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
:)>

34 posts, read 90,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The homes I see on the market in SE Cape have fallen from over $500,000 in 2005 to about $200,000 now.
I'm starting to wonder about prices . . . I'm shopping (online for now) for gulf access property and all of the houses that meet my critera seem to start at $400k and go up eagerly from there. Maybe it's that it's the water or maybe it's the critera - or maybe I need a different agent?

My search criteria is 3/2/2 2000sq feet air conditioned - or larger, and gulf access that's not buried deep in the canal system where it takes an hour to get to open water.

We're taking a trip down there to look in person this summer. Being there in the summer will also tell me if the heat/humidity is going to be a problem.

Anyone know the mean prices for what I'm looking for?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:23 PM

283 posts, read 652,694 times
One has to live somewhere and the alternative to owning is renting. If the monthly payment is in the same ballpark then owning is by far your best bet over time. Even when prices go down, you end up with something when you leave. When you rent, you are lucky to get your deposit back. Buying as a speculator is a horse of a different color.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
One has to live somewhere and the alternative to owning is renting. If the monthly payment is in the same ballpark then owning is by far your best bet over time. Even when prices go down, you end up with something when you leave. When you rent, you are lucky to get your deposit back. Buying as a speculator is a horse of a different color.
Wow. Here is going to be a first. I am a Realtor and I am here to tell you that is not true. For anywhere.

Yes, certainly run the numbers, but make sure to put taxes, property insurance and upkeep in there.

And if prices go down too low, such as you bought for $500,000 and it is now $275,000, you will almost walk away with nothing or stay in there and become physically sick every time you make your mortgage payment.

So no. Sometimes it is better to rent.

But if you make extremely intelligent decisions based on business and not on emotion, and you have luck on your side, then yes, owning a home is, above all, a personally satisfying experience. Yes.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 PM

681 posts, read 884,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
consider real estate to be just another depreciating asset
In a declining market:

As a renter you can accumulate more wealth than owning a house.
A renter saves money on mortages, taxes, maintenance and is not affected by falling house prices.
By investing in stocks, bonds and other financial market investments, renters' equity (money) increases much more than investing in housing.

Last edited by yoko; 02-08-2010 at 08:42 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,032 times
Having family in Florida we have always thought of retiring there. Cape Coral seemed like the ideal place to retire. Having read about all the trouble concerns us. We are two years from retiring and are concerned about the housing in Cape Coral, although it seems many places in Florida are suffering similar decline. Any suggestions as to where we should look? East or west coast? We are hoping to buy something around 150 thou - and now there seems to be an abundance of houses in that price range.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:51 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,734 times
If you buy a home in CC that went from $500,000 down to $200,000, how much lower can it go? To $150,000? Who cares. Enjoy your retirement. Leave a little less to your heirs.

Arglo, for $150 you probably won't get a good gulf access home. But you could get a home across the street from gulf access. Those homes are usually nice and keep their value a little better so the neighborhood has a tendency to remain stable. Plus you can make friends with your neighbor and go on his boat (don't forget to bring the beer). Or you can get a home on a freshwater canal with a nice view.

Last edited by rikoshaprl; 02-12-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: added a sentance.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,032 times
Thank you for answering. I certainly would bring the beer!! I gather the assessments are for city water and sewer - it seems like many of the homes have assessments that need to be paid - how much does that run?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
I think it is about $20,000, but that's a guess. It's been mentioned before on here, if you want to do a search you'll find it.

My mil just bought a house across the street from gulf access in the se section. Older, well-established area. Beautiful landscaping and pool. It was under $150,000. That is very nice deal. The home was built in 1966.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area