Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 27,620 times

Advertisements

Whaddup people

Ok so i need your help/ advice. Now i've been living here in Fort Myers for the past 5 years and have yet to make any friends/ network with people my age. Oh i am 28 by the way and single, therefore the title of this post. I've notice everyone here is either married, have kids or old (or not in my age group). I had someone told me that Fort Myers isnt for young singles/ dating scene, its really for establish couples or families who are looking for a quiet spot to live. And being here i am starting to think so. Now i happen to come across this forum due to the fact i was googling "Young Professionals in Fort Myers". A friend of mine who recently moved to another state happened to join the a group told me to look for something similar in my area as thats how he met new people. I found a site called "young professionals chamber of commerce", has anyone heard about it? Is it good/ worth it? Now i'm a Manager/Assistant IT/ part sales rep for a very successful company, so my work does keep me busy but i am looking for similar hard working young single professionals to hang out with and unwind and have fun (preferrably in their 20's and early 30's) in the Fort Myers/ Cape Coral spot.

Now i know i could just go to the clubs/ bars but i wanted to get some feed back and see what others who live in Fort Myers have to say.

Anyway i hope to get some feedback/ help from you guys.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 25,061 times
I did a google search because I will be moving to Fort Myers within the year. I am married, but am worried about making friends. I found a website called Meet-up .com I don't know if I typed it right, but I know that is the name. Maybe try that. People meet up for coffee, movies, bowling, etc.... I am not looking to hook-up and bar hop so I didn't know how to look for friends. I don't know if that will help, but it is worth a shot. Good Luck !

Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,687,173 times
"People are people, wherever you go......"

Just go somewhere and do what you enjoy doing, and you'll find others doing it there as well.

Yachtcare has spoken.......

Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 92,512 times
The correct web address is meetup.com.

Signing up is free. Put in a radius of 25 miles and you'll get an email every week listing about 120 events organized by various meetup groups. Some of the groups have a minimal fee to help cover the $12 Meetup.com charges them each month for the group's site.

Another great place to meet people is The Edison at 3583 McGregor Blvd, Fort Myers. Wednesday evenings is ladies' night. Free food 5-7 PM and lots of people of all ages. Good music and dancing.

The Joint at the south end of Chiquita Blvd in Cape Coral has outdoor rock concerts Tuesday evenings until 10 PM.

The Sandy Parrot at 17200 S. Tamiami Trail (U.S. 41) south of Alico Rd in south Fort Myers has a lot of people and good bands on the weekends.

Goove Street has a DJ and a lot of people on the weekends. It's in the College Plaza Shopping Center at the corner of College Pkwy and Winkler Rd in Fort Myers. Next door is the Comedy Club with programs at 8 and 10 PM, I believe. There are a lot of people before 8 PM and then they go into the Comedy Club. Then Groove Street has few people until the show is over and they come back to dance.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 25,010 times
Default Pharmacist looking for fun in fort myers!

Hi all, I am a 24 year old pharmacist who came across a fantastic job offer in fort myers at lee memorial. I live in Boston now, but am seriously considering moving down there. I am single and wanting to meet lots of people and have the time of my life. Is it true that it's all old people in the area? or is there a decent nightlife with opportunities to meet others??
any input is appreciated!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:19 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,835,741 times
nothing but old people, oh and students from two local colleges, plenty of places to see and be seen, check out metromix.com for an idea of the nightlife

Old 04-15-2010, 12:52 PM

20 posts, read 75,268 times
I moved to Ft. Myers in May for a good job offer, after being in Gainesville (UF) for two years of grad school. Ft. Myers is not an ideal place to start a career, and it's not an ideal place for a 20-something to have a social life. However, I recently became single after my long-distance (six-hour drive) relationship wasn't working out anymore. And I've realized there ARE things to do, but you have to kind of search for them.

For one, I'm a 25-year-old woman, so I joined the Junior League of Fort Myers. I did it both to meet people and to find places to volunteer, and have been successful in both aspects. I don't particularly care to spend my free time with any of my coworkers or colleagues, so it was nice to find a group of mostly like-minded women, many of whom work and are single, thus breaking the JL stereotype. I've now made amazing new friends, business contacts and found a place to volunteer on my own time, which is also great for meeting people who care about others.

The girls and I go "downtown" maybe once a month, but go out for dinners/drinks on a weekly basis and are always meeting other single gals and occasionally, successful single guys in our age range.

I second what someone said about The Edison. Being a Gator, this place is PACKED on gamedays as it is the official Southwest Florida Gator Alumni Club hangout.

There are a ton of old people, lower class families, and I guess some students if you live close to Edison or FGCU. And tourists all summer long in the Ft. Myers Beach area and all winter long on Sanibel/Captiva (where I commute to work daily).

I would stay away from the Young Professionals. They use both the terms "young" and "professional" very loosely, if you get what I mean. YP and the Chamber are the same thing - YP is managed by the Chamber of Commerce.

I'll be happy to leave the area when I do, simply because the economy here is shot and the foreclosures are downright depressing, and mostly because for the industry I want to work in (healthcare and not-for-profit) is not that big here. But while I'm in the area, I'm going to make the most of it. And take advantage of the beaches and weather because it doesn't get much better than Sanibel beaches and southwest Florida weather.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 54,446 times
Downtown Ft Myers at night or Gulfcoast Town Centre at night seems to be where all 20 something people go.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 48,774 times
Hey. Doc moved down from Boston to fort myers, been here for 4 months not to successful meeting my age (31) single group, like the beach but it's ok alot of old people, please advise .

Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 48,774 times
Hey are u single?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area